Sponsored

Calling BS on the reason for the side vent

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Mark Allen claims the reason for the side vent is to relieve hood flutter. See 3:58 in this video http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/two-good-wrangler-walkthrough-videos.2157/#post-29592

I'm calling BS on this. As many JK owners know, replacing the rubbery factory hood hold downs with the stronger Daystar hold downs solved the problem. No need for a side vent.

Credit to FCA for making the vent functional, but the reason for the vent doesn't hold up. Somewhere was a post that showed the sheet metal with the vent channel. It appears to be maybe 1/2 to 3/4" wide and maybe 3" tall. How much can that do? How many cars and trucks have side vents to reduce/eliminate hood flutter?

I might buy that the vent relieves drag from behind the flares to improve mileage, but hood flutter? Come on.

I think its an excuse to add the side vent just because they think it looks cool. Many of you like it, and I wouldn't mind, but I hate the styling of the fender recess, how it coincides with the top of the fender flare (non-Rubicon flare).

Posted for FCA to add to mid model refresh changes. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
nowandthen

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking providing air from "somewhere" to reduce drag behind the flare.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it looks cool and glad thnat there is a justification even if it a stretch.

Let's face it. Lots of jeep owners have things in their jeep for looks that at least have a functional purpose.

How many really need a brush guard?

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The only legitimate reason I can think of is if they did some serious aero testing and found that the airflow was creating some type of turbulence in the engine bay which SOMETIMES can cause hood flutter, so by adding the vents, it gets rid of it instead of needing stronger latches even though the rubber latches were shit to begin with.

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I think its an excuse to add the side vent just because they think it looks cool. Many of you like it, and I wouldn't mind, but I hate the styling of the fender recess, how it coincides with the top of the fender flare (non-Rubicon flare).

Posted for FCA to add to mid model refresh changes. :)
I don't like it. The vent is positioned in a low pressure point, behind the fender, and it's the ideal place to add a vent because when the vehicle's moving fast enough, it'll basically suck the hood down. But it's overkill.

Judging by the ton of other vents, the donut half doors, etc., it's pretty clear that someone is very happy putting holes on nice smooth surfaces.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Well considering that hood flutter is more considerable when hit big a big gust of wind or pressure wave from a big tractor-trailer, I could see it helping, but that wouldn’t justify the cost of the vent for that sole purpose IMO.

Heck the new hood-latches likely would reduce much of the visible lift which is disconcerting, but not a real issue. Better used for other purposes like venting the engine bay or wheel wells... reducing hood flutter... of maybe somewhere on a list of many reasons.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
but that wouldn’t justify the cost of the vent for that sole purpose IMO.

Heck the new hood-latches likely would reduce much of the visible lift which is disconcerting, but not a real issue. Better used for other purposes like venting the engine bay or wheel wells... reducing hood flutter... of maybe somewhere on a list of many reasons.
Totally. Makes that area hard to fix up if you get a dent too because of the creases.

Vents, even if placed directly above the headers won't do much when still or slow unless they're massive. A hit air extraction fan is what's needed and it can be concealed away from sight. So the JL vents are definitely about the show.

OP
OP
nowandthen

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking the primary reason for the side vent is to distinguish the JL from the JK. I commend FCA for making it functional, whatever function that may be. :)

JL vs. JK: From the front, it's obvious, the turn signals are in the flares not in the grille. Had FCA put the turn signals in the grille, it would be less obvious that this is a new model, I accept that (although I hate it). I will modify the grill and flares to put the turn signals where they belong, LOL.

For the rear, Mark Allen says the reason for the license plate relocation is partly to distinguish the JL from the JK and also due to the fact that the tailgate is wider. I get it. See this video (currently my favorite video of the JL :) ) at 14:37. http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/two-good-wrangler-walkthrough-videos.2157/#post-29592

All in all, I like the JL. I have issues, but who doesn't?

I think FCA wanted to make sure people (non-Jeep enthusiasts) would see this as a new model.

Case in point of a vehicle that was too subtle with respect to the previous model: Chevy Camaro. I still have to study a Camaro closely to see if it is the new model or the previous model. IMO, Chevy didn't change it up enough.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The vent doesn't bother me at all, regardless of whether or not it's functional. If I had any complaints about the added shapes and folds and creases and what not, it'd be the accent lines across the doors. I like the idea as a throwback to the TJ, YJ, and CJ, but it's a little heavy.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
It probably does function as claimed, and while in motion removes some heat from the engine bay. I'm sure the aftermarket has plenty of dressy options to replace the vent. I'd like mine painted to match the body, but I'm likely to pick black as an exterior color, so it probably doesn't bother me that much.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL