Sponsored

California Sues To Make America Suck As Much As California

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Nothing has even been announced yet officially and they're already suing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/01/epa...alition-over-vehicle-emissions-standards.html

California filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the Environmental Protection Agency over the Trump administration's intention to weaken fuel efficiency standards for automobiles.

The country's most populous state is leading a coalition of 17 states and Washington, D.C., in a lawsuit aimed at defending new standards aimed at raising fuel efficiency and curbing greenhouse gas emissions from the nation's fleet of passenger vehicles. Together, the states and the District of Columbia make up 43 percent of the U.S. automobile market.

The EPA announced last month it would revise standards set by the Obama Administration, which Administrator Scott Pruitt called "too high." The EPA and Department of Transportation have proposed eight separate options to the White House, though freezing the standards at 2020 levels has emerged as the preferred path to revision, The New York Times reported.

More at the link.
Sponsored

ClayMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, BMW 328i Convertible
Nothing has even been announced yet officially and they're already suing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/01/epa...alition-over-vehicle-emissions-standards.html

California filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the Environmental Protection Agency over the Trump administration's intention to weaken fuel efficiency standards for automobiles.

The country's most populous state is leading a coalition of 17 states and Washington, D.C., in a lawsuit aimed at defending new standards aimed at raising fuel efficiency and curbing greenhouse gas emissions from the nation's fleet of passenger vehicles. Together, the states and the District of Columbia make up 43 percent of the U.S. automobile market.

The EPA announced last month it would revise standards set by the Obama Administration, which Administrator Scott Pruitt called "too high." The EPA and Department of Transportation have proposed eight separate options to the White House, though freezing the standards at 2020 levels has emerged as the preferred path to revision, The New York Times reported.

More at the link.
This is not a political forum. ;-)
Let’s talk Jeep

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Not sure how they can sue when it hasn't been done yet. I'm also not sure of the hubub over the regs. Electrics are coming, regulations, or not. I'd prefer to keep the costs down and let them come when they are not artificially propped up. They will become advantageous enough at some point, not too far off, that internal combustion engines won't be competitive. Just my humble opinion.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Interesting. Not sure how they can sue when it hasn't been done yet..
That's the entire point. It's a request for an injunction. If your neighbor is threatening to cut down a tree that's half way on your property, you sue him before the tree gets cut down, not after. Similarly, CA is trying to prevent the rollback of the environmental regs that are now in place. If new regs go into effect, automakers have to spend money to redesign, and there will be tons of additional pollution. Suing now for an injunction prevents the losses and damage from occurring.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's the entire point. It's a request for an injunction. If your neighbor is threatening to cut down a tree that's half way on your property, you sue him before the tree gets cut down, not after. Similarly, CA is trying to prevent the rollback of the environmental regs that are now in place. If new regs go into effect, automakers have to spend money to redesign, and there will be tons of additional pollution. Suing now for an injunction prevents the losses and damage from occurring.
That makes sense, I guess from their point of view. I've no legal background, which is probably obvious. I still think it is much to do about nothing because we're approaching a turning point in automobile propulsion, anyway. The technology is maturing rapidly, but just isn't there quite yet to be affordable. It will be soon, though.
Sponsored