Sponsored

California gas guzzler tax

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
This came up in another thread. It was stated (believed) that the 392 is subject to a $7500 California gas guzzler tax. I didn't want to hijack that thread.
Is there an additional gas guzzler tax for California in addition to the federal gas guzzler tax?

This from EPA web site:
Jeep Wrangler JL California gas guzzler tax Gas Guzzler Tax

California buyers, did you pay an additional California gas guzzler tax?
Sponsored

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
I’m pretty sure the gas guzzler tax only applies to cars and not SUVs, which the Wrangler classifies as.
Maybe California has an additional tax in place though?

OP
OP
nowandthen

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Hmmm... I think you are correct. According to this, the JL is not subject to the gas guzzler tax becuase it is an SUV:
Jeep Wrangler JL California gas guzzler tax Gas Guzzler Tax b

Are SUVs still exempt?
I would like to hear from CA buyers. Did they pay a gas guzzler tax, Federal and/or California?

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Hmmm... I think you are correct. According to this, the JL is not subject to the gas guzzler tax becuase it is an SUV:
Jeep Wrangler JL California gas guzzler tax Gas Guzzler Tax b

Are SUVs still exempt?
I would like to hear from CA buyers. Did they pay a gas guzzler tax, Federal and/or California?
I know I paid $3500 in 2017 labeled as "CA gas guzzler tax" when I bought my ram rebel. I can't find CA law specifically, so I'm not sure it will apply to a Jeep/suv, and from what I've read you hit the $7k maximum at 12mpg combined so the 14 mpg that the 392 is rated should be less than$7k if it does apply.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Not a 392, but I bought a Rubicon here in CA yesterday and no gas guzzler tax, just the usual sales tax.

From what I understand, the Gas Guzzler Tax is federal, not state and not specific to California. And doesn't apply to SUVs. And looking at lists of vehicles it does apply to, it's mostly top tier sports cars.
Sponsored