Sponsored

California dealer insisting on MSRP due to low stock?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
So, my local dealer just texted me that she had good news -- she found some rebates and could get me $10,000 off the yellow Jeep Wrangler that I want. That's a typo, right? She must mean $1000 off? I'm not even sure how to reply to her text.
I would just ask for the number they're willing to arrive at given any rebates or new developments. See what the price actually is and go from there. When I bought mine I negotiated via email initially and just asked if they'd do a price which I had calculated to be 8% under invoice price. The negotiation ended up slightly higher than my initial offer, but I still ended up around 5% under and didn't have to qualify for any rebates or do any extra work other than the back-and-forth price negotiation.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So, my local dealer just texted me that she had good news -- she found some rebates and could get me $10,000 off the yellow Jeep Wrangler that I want. That's a typo, right? She must mean $1000 off? I'm not even sure how to reply to her text.
Keep in mind that all dealers will be able to honor the same rebates. So if you negotiate 5% below invoice, the $1,000 is subtracted from the final price. In other words, it's not a differentiator to favor one dealer over the other. If the saleslady isn't giving you your target discount, the $1,000 doesn't move the needle.

"A rising tide lifts all ships".

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Buy it now before she realizes.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
She is probably trying to meet her numbers because the first half of FY20 will be closing on Sept 30th. That is when sales can get more important than profit.

if you goto her and she says its a typo, hold her to it and push for more than $1k off!

Monsterdun

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hi! I'm excited to be shopping for my first Jeep Wrangler. It has been my dream car since I was around 10.

Anyway, due to budget and kids and preference for manual transmissions, I'm looking at a 4-door base model (likely the Unlimited Sport 6-speed manual), and I prefer not too many add-on options.

I'm in Northern California, and I found a dealer a couple hours away that has what I want in stock (and in Hellayella, my preferred color). I called to ask their internet price, and they just quoted me MSRP, stating that there aren't many of these available and their stock is low, so they aren't willing to sell below MSRP.

It is true that there really aren't very many of the lower-priced JLU Sports in stock in my state. (Most JLUs in my area have MSRPs in the $40-50k range.) I've only found a couple others (one about an hour away, one about 8 hours away), not my preferred color.

My local Jeep dealer (who does not have what I want in stock) said that she would call around to see what she can find that she might be able to get me a good deal on. She said that there aren't usually good deals on ones you have to special order (so I'm expecting she would try to charge MSRP if I ordered a new 2021), and she said that it could take 6-12 months to arrive.

I've read through many posts on this forum, and it looks like most of you are getting your JLs for a significant percent below MSRP or invoice -- even the ones you have to special order.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is what the first dealer said legitimate (that I should expect to pay full MSRP right now on a budget model due to low stock)?

2) If I decide to special order a 2021, are there any California dealerships that will likely offer a better deal? Am I really going to wait 6-12 months for delivery?

3) If I decide to buy off the lot, how hard is it to purchase add-ons separately? (For example, I think I want a hard top and running boards.)

Thanks!
I’m in Nor Cal too and had the same issue as you with local dealers, no one willing to deal, and most selling at MSRP. I own a 14 JK Sahara and trying to upgrade to a JLUR.

In the forum, the only California dealer that’s could price below invoice is Rob Trachtman with Tuttle Jeep in Irvine.
954-864-5162 cell or email at [email protected]
He‘s received good reviews From other forum members.
I ordered from Rob a 21 JLUR in early August, and should have delivery by end of month, so plan on driving down to get it.

There are at her dealers that offer better discount out of state, but I didn’t want to take a risk as if there is the slight chance it is a lemon, out of state vehicles don’t qualify.

if you reach out to Rob, let him know Monty in San Jose referred you.

Good Luck!

Sponsored

Bong652003

First Name
Severo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler sahara
Hi! I'm excited to be shopping for my first Jeep Wrangler. It has been my dream car since I was around 10.

Anyway, due to budget and kids and preference for manual transmissions, I'm looking at a 4-door base model (likely the Unlimited Sport 6-speed manual), and I prefer not too many add-on options.

I'm in Northern California, and I found a dealer a couple hours away that has what I want in stock (and in Hellayella, my preferred color). I called to ask their internet price, and they just quoted me MSRP, stating that there aren't many of these available and their stock is low, so they aren't willing to sell below MSRP.

It is true that there really aren't very many of the lower-priced JLU Sports in stock in my state. (Most JLUs in my area have MSRPs in the $40-50k range.) I've only found a couple others (one about an hour away, one about 8 hours away), not my preferred color.

My local Jeep dealer (who does not have what I want in stock) said that she would call around to see what she can find that she might be able to get me a good deal on. She said that there aren't usually good deals on ones you have to special order (so I'm expecting she would try to charge MSRP if I ordered a new 2021), and she said that it could take 6-12 months to arrive.

I've read through many posts on this forum, and it looks like most of you are getting your JLs for a significant percent below MSRP or invoice -- even the ones you have to special order.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is what the first dealer said legitimate (that I should expect to pay full MSRP right now on a budget model due to low stock)?

2) If I decide to special order a 2021, are there any California dealerships that will likely offer a better deal? Am I really going to wait 6-12 months for delivery?

3) If I decide to buy off the lot, how hard is it to purchase add-ons separately? (For example, I think I want a hard top and running boards.)

Thanks!
Call Alex at Mccoy auto brokers 707-704-7425. He can try and help you find your jeep. Good luck

ETA34

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I 2nd Rob Trachtman. 4% below invoice with Tread Lightly. 8 weeks from time of order to delivery. Very simple process.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone in California really needs to talk too @RobTrachtman at Tuttle click Irvine, he will do 4% off invoice with no wired add on and really good financing options, and you are not forced to use his financing.. not to mention his customer service and integrity are top notch.
Sponsored