Sponsored

California dealer insisting on MSRP due to low stock?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hi! I'm excited to be shopping for my first Jeep Wrangler. It has been my dream car since I was around 10.

Anyway, due to budget and kids and preference for manual transmissions, I'm looking at a 4-door base model (likely the Unlimited Sport 6-speed manual), and I prefer not too many add-on options.

I'm in Northern California, and I found a dealer a couple hours away that has what I want in stock (and in Hellayella, my preferred color). I called to ask their internet price, and they just quoted me MSRP, stating that there aren't many of these available and their stock is low, so they aren't willing to sell below MSRP.

It is true that there really aren't very many of the lower-priced JLU Sports in stock in my state. (Most JLUs in my area have MSRPs in the $40-50k range.) I've only found a couple others (one about an hour away, one about 8 hours away), not my preferred color.

My local Jeep dealer (who does not have what I want in stock) said that she would call around to see what she can find that she might be able to get me a good deal on. She said that there aren't usually good deals on ones you have to special order (so I'm expecting she would try to charge MSRP if I ordered a new 2021), and she said that it could take 6-12 months to arrive.

I've read through many posts on this forum, and it looks like most of you are getting your JLs for a significant percent below MSRP or invoice -- even the ones you have to special order.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is what the first dealer said legitimate (that I should expect to pay full MSRP right now on a budget model due to low stock)?

2) If I decide to special order a 2021, are there any California dealerships that will likely offer a better deal? Am I really going to wait 6-12 months for delivery?

3) If I decide to buy off the lot, how hard is it to purchase add-ons separately? (For example, I think I want a hard top and running boards.)

Thanks!
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi! I'm excited to be shopping for my first Jeep Wrangler. It has been my dream car since I was around 10.

Anyway, due to budget and kids and preference for manual transmissions, I'm looking at a 4-door base model (likely the Unlimited Sport 6-speed manual), and I prefer not too many add-on options.

I'm in Northern California, and I found a dealer a couple hours away that has what I want in stock (and in Hellayella, my preferred color). I called to ask their internet price, and they just quoted me MSRP, stating that there aren't many of these available and their stock is low, so they aren't willing to sell below MSRP.

It is true that there really aren't very many of the lower-priced JLU Sports in stock in my state. (Most JLUs in my area have MSRPs in the $40-50k range.) I've only found a couple others (one about an hour away, one about 8 hours away), not my preferred color.

My local Jeep dealer (who does not have what I want in stock) said that she would call around to see what she can find that she might be able to get me a good deal on. She said that there aren't usually good deals on ones you have to special order (so I'm expecting she would try to charge MSRP if I ordered a new 2021), and she said that it could take 6-12 months to arrive.

I've read through many posts on this forum, and it looks like most of you are getting your JLs for a significant percent below MSRP or invoice -- even the ones you have to special order.

1) Is what the first dealer said legitimate (that I should expect to pay full MSRP right now on a budget model due to low stock)?

2) If I decide to special order a 2021, are there any California dealerships that will likely offer a better deal? Am I really going to wait 6-12 months for delivery?

3) If I decide to buy off the lot, how hard is it to purchase add-ons separately? (For example, I think I want a hard top and running boards.)

Thanks!
You'll get better pricing on an ordered unit. Your wait, now that the model year changeover is largely behind us, will be 6-8 weeks. That said, go to another dealer - the 6-12 month wait claim is a huge warning sign. You'll get instant gratification by buying off the lot, but the pricing will be worse and you won't get exactly what you want. Once you've custom-ordered once, you'll never look back.

Try using one of two easy avenues for discounts:
- Join treadlighty.com ($100 to join and your eligible for 1% below invoice pricing).
- Use Costco's buying service. Here in Phoenix it's 2% below invoice.

You can do better by dickering, but it comes with unnecessary stress. The ultimate discount comes from volume dealers in Idaho and the DC area. They offer 7% below, but most buyers don't want travel that far. That said, maybe Idaho isn't too far for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You'll get better pricing on an ordered unit. Your wait, now that the model year changeover is largely behind us, will be 6-8 weeks. That said, go to another dealer - the 6-12 month wait claim is a huge warning sign. You'll get instant gratification by buying off the lot, but the pricing will be worse and you won't get exactly what you want. Once you've custom-ordered once, you'll never look back.

Try using one of two easy avenues for discounts:
- Join treadlighty.com ($100 to join and your eligible for 1% below invoice pricing).
- Use Costco's buying service. Here in Phoenix it's 2% below invoice.

You can do better by dickering, but it comes with unnecessary stress. The ultimate discount comes from volume dealers in Idaho and the DC area. They offer 7% below, but most buyers don't want travel that far. That said, maybe Idaho isn't too far for you.
Thanks, this is helpful!

I'm generally really good at negotiating car prices (the few times I've had to do it), so the thought of paying full MSRP seems ridiculous. I'm also cool with waiting if now is a bad time to get good pricing.

Idaho wouldn't be too far to travel, actually. I've been thinking about taking a road trip to get away from all this icky smoky air.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Order what you want and sign up for tread lightly ASAP. Tread Lightly gets you 1% below invoice as a starting point. It has to be active for 30 days to apply.

Or, order from Idaho and plan a road trip. Maybe buy a house there too for when yours burns down.

Stay safe!

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)

Thanks!
I can partially answer (2): I highly doubt it will be 6 to 12 months for delivery. I will think 4 months at the worst.

(3): you can get whatever you want but it is highly recommended to include whatever you want in your custom build order to Jeep. This way, stuff is backed by a 3 year warranty. Also, I would recommend getting the Hardtop because this way your Jeep gets factory wired for a wiper motor and washer fluid. you will not get that wiring done if you order only a soft top. Hard Top or Dual Top (4 door only) is therefore the way to go if you are living in any state besides AZ or NM. Harder to get that in aftermarket. Also the stuff you order tends to be cheaper. Ex: Hardtop when you order as part of you build is about $1300. Same exact top aftermaket from Jeep will cost more than $3k.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Hi! Thanks!
Go thru a forum friendly dealer. They’ll help get you a price that’s fair without ripping you off. Also as @GtX mentioned, sign up for the $100 TreadLightly membership. It’ll save you 1% off invoice price. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Idaho is probably closer to you, but Jim Marsh in Las Vegas also does good deals. Your local dealers are trying to manipulate you, not partner with you.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Idaho is probably closer to you, but Jim Marsh in Las Vegas also does good deals. Your local dealers are trying to manipulate you, not partner with you.
Actually, I think Las Vegas is closer. I'm in the Bay Area, so it's about a 9-hour drive.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So, my local dealer just texted me that she had good news -- she found some rebates and could get me $10,000 off the yellow Jeep Wrangler that I want. That's a typo, right? She must mean $1000 off? I'm not even sure how to reply to her text.
Sponsored