Sponsored

CAI with 4xe

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
What are the thoughts on adding a cai to the 4xe? Generally speaking I don't put a ton of stock in intakes, but I do think they make more sense with turbos. What I'm not sure about is how it would pair with the hybrid, and if the normal 2.0t intakes would bolt in.
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
One of the cool things about the 4xe is how quiet it is.
CAIs increase noise. That'll be more noticeable when 4xe switches back and forth from EV mode to ICE mode.

Your jeep, but that's not personally a tradeoff I'd want to make.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
One of the cool things about the 4xe is how quiet it is.
CAIs increase noise. That'll be more noticeable when 4xe switches back and forth from EV mode to ICE mode.

Your jeep, but that's not personally a tradeoff I'd want to make.
I've had exhausts on every jeep I've owned so I'm not too worried about the noise. I'm more interested in the fuel economy and freeway performance benefits

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO, at the RPM's the 2.0T operates in, you're not going to see much, if any, increase in power and fuel mileage. CAI's typically obtain their max HP and TQ figures at higher RPM's. The higher the RPM the worse the fuel mileage. So then what's the point?

On older (non-computer controlled) engines with carburetors, then a less restrictive air intake could be taken advantage of since you could tune the carb. With a computer controlling everything now, there's not much benefit on normal (non-high performance) engines.

Plus if you use a CAI with an oiled filter, those have a lower efficiency rating than a stock style paper filter. The efficiency rating is the ability of the filter to trap and keep dirt, dust, etc. from passing through the filter and into the engine. Paper filters are the best for keeping contaminants out of your engine.

My .02 is to put your money into something you'll actually get a benefit out of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
IMHO, at the RPM's the 2.0T operates in, you're not going to see much, if any, increase in power and fuel mileage. CAI's typically obtain their max HP and TQ figures at higher RPM's. The higher the RPM the worse the fuel mileage. So then what's the point?

On older (non-computer controlled) engines with carburetors, then a less restrictive air intake could be taken advantage of since you could tune the carb. With a computer controlling everything now, there's not much benefit on normal (non-high performance) engines.

Plus if you use a CAI with an oiled filter, those have a lower efficiency rating than a stock style paper filter. The efficiency rating is the ability of the filter to trap and keep dirt, dust, etc. from passing through the filter and into the engine. Paper filters are the best for keeping contaminants out of your engine.

My .02 is to put your money into something you'll actually get a benefit out of.
Thanks for that, at in general I totally agree. I was hoping there would be a tangible benefit when driving on the freeway. I'm perfectly content around town, but for the occasional road trip even 2-3mpg can make a big difference in offsetting the lower efficiency of 4xe.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Thanks for that, at in general I totally agree. I was hoping there would be a tangible benefit when driving on the freeway. I'm perfectly content around town, but for the occasional road trip even 2-3mpg can make a big difference in offsetting the lower efficiency of 4xe.
If there was an air intake that would yield 2-3 mpg increase then the factory would provide it. Those engineers are pretty smart. I can't tell you how many times I modified my vehicle thinking I could make it better,faster, more efficient etc. Usually I ended up just trading one problem for another.

I still do it though....
:)

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
If there was an air intake that would yield 2-3 mpg increase then the factory would provide it. Those engineers are pretty smart. I can't tell you how many times I modified my vehicle thinking I could make it better,faster, more efficient etc. Usually I ended up just trading one problem for another.

I still do it though....
Nice name, funny enough the S&B was the intake I was looking at. I was going to pair it with the hood inserts. I think I might just stick with the inserts, they are least offer a unique aesthetic and help cool the engine bay a bit. I can't believe jeep is still using the non functioning vents.

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
In that case, our H.E.R.O. Hood should work and addresses a lot of the concerns mentioned in this thread. Factory airbox stays intact so no additional noise and you retain the factory air filter. In addition, you get heat reduction functionality.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've finally realized that if you aren't changing induction or spending 1000s on engineering, it's not worth it.
I'm not adding an intake to my 2.0t etorque, and I'd be even less likely to add it to the 4xe. Cat deletes and re flashes might help though.
Hmm, cat delete and custom exhaust on a 4xe, that would be a conflicted vehicle!

I don't know that anyone would want to mess with the mappings on this powertrain but it would be interesting.

I could see a 93 octane setup to possibly increase efficiency but for some reason the engineers decided to not bother, even though they did with the 2.0t.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Hmm, cat delete and custom exhaust on a 4xe, that would be a conflicted vehicle!

I don't know that anyone would want to mess with the mappings on this powertrain but it would be interesting.

I could see a 93 octane setup to possibly increase efficiency but for some reason the engineers decided to not bother, even though they did with the 2.0t.
Like having a dog named Stay. "Come here Stay!"

Would be fun to see and edit the calibrations though. That 2.0 liter engine in these things is pretty hopped up already. Hard to imagine much more in the kitty...

McStatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Has anybody tried installing a CAI yet? I reached out to the dealership to see if they have any answers, but not holding my breath on a confident response.

I just sold my Model X Perf to buy the 4xe so even though it may seem sacrilegious to make an EV louder, I love the idea of a whisper quiet ride while on electric but a beefy sounding motor when in gas mode. Just my two pennies.

Jeep Wrangler JL CAI with 4xe 4FF93573-9C05-486A-A1ED-A3FE6F51AD91
Jeep Wrangler JL CAI with 4xe 28500515-21B2-4709-9A86-27DCA6B97C10

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Actually, CAI hardly gain any power on turbo cars unless you upgrade to a larger turbo.
Turbo car with CAI gets very slight improvement in spool time and negligible gain by redline (no more then 5whp)

Just get less restrictive intake filter. Turbo car responds well to heat management (lowering your charge temps) and tuning.
Sponsored