Sponsored

CAI Cold Air Intake and Diesel Help

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I read up on CAI here and want to know if I got this straight. Please, correct me if I’m wrong because the Mopar CAI just became available to order as a stock option. I may add it to my diesel order.

1) HP and Tq gains?
An external intake, like Mopar CAI, should help keep hp and tq stable more than noticeable gains.

2) Sound
Expect a change here. Open cone under hood CAI will be loudest. External intake from the side, like Mopar CAI, will be less. Snorkel will be least.

3) water intrusion
Stock or under hood best against rain and washing. If external intake, it would be nice to be able to close it off. Kind of like I’m seeing with the Mopar CAI (there’s a flap). If water fording, you should have a snorkel. Stock might be next best. Side hood external intake might be worst because a rogue wave has open access.

4) Dust intrusion
Put in the proper filter for your environment

In addition to commenting and correcting the above...

5) Please answer this question for me: does the JL ‘reprogram’ itself for this added air flow intake? (Because when I put a velocity big air kit on my motorcycle I had to get a power commander fuel controller and basically a Dyno tune to get the correct map so it ran right afterwards)

6) Diesel
Any concerns here about adding a CAI to the diesel? Also, Do you think the expectation is that Mopar will run an external snorkel from there side opening external kit that we now can have installed as a stock option on the diesel?
Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I read up on CAI here and want to know if I got this straight. Please, correct me if I’m wrong because the Mopar CAI just became available to order as a stock option. I may add it to my diesel order.

1) HP and Tq gains? In my experience the HP and TQ gains are minimal at best...not even noticeable on my 07 Duramax.
An external intake, like Mopar CAI, should help keep hp and tq stable more than noticeable gains.

2) Sound Will probably be noticeable on a small diesel.
Expect a change here. Open cone under hood CAI will be loudest. External intake from the side, like Mopar CAI, will be less. Snorkel will be least.

3) water intrusion The opening is on the side of the hood, so I doubt there will be much of a chance for rain getting in...if you closed it off you will reduce the air intake. I wouldn't want to cut out my hood. I am hoping that Rugged Ridge builds one for the Diesel like the 17756.31 AmFib Snorkel System. You get both low on the hood and high snorkel if you want it.
Stock or under hood best against rain and washing. If external intake, it would be nice to be able to close it off. Kind of like I’m seeing with the Mopar CAI (there’s a flap). If water fording, you should have a snorkel. Stock might be next best. Side hood external intake might be worst because a rogue wave has open access.

4) Dust intrusion Keep the filter clean...always!
Put in the proper filter for your environment

In addition to commenting and correcting the above...

5) Please answer this question for me: does the JL ‘reprogram’ itself for this added air flow intake? (Because when I put a velocity big air kit on my motorcycle I had to get a power commander fuel controller and basically a Dyno tune to get the correct map so it ran right afterwards) I would assume that it will do it own adjusting based on altitude (more or less air). May get a code at first but the mapping sensors should correct almost immediately after you get a code...if you do. I put a Cobra Electronic Ignition that automatically re-mapped my Harley...did it for an air cleaner and exhaust pipe change.

6) Diesel Not a concern for me. don't know what mopar will do...probably won't buy their if Rugged Ridge builds one.
Any concerns here about adding a CAI to the diesel? Also, Do you think the expectation is that Mopar will run an external snorkel from there side opening external kit that we now can have installed as a stock option on the diesel?