Sponsored

Cage inside soft top - anyone know, anyone done it? I'm doing it.

reachkyleh

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport with 33" tires, new stereo
Occupation
Mental Health Stuff
Hello everyone,
I have a soft top and it's got clear plastic. WHY DOES IT HAVE CLEAR PLASTIC. I worry that any random thing could look attractive in there. I have a hidden sub and amp as well. I'm either going to make a cage on the sides and back or I'm going to buy thick smoked plexi and create a connecting frame. I note that there are bolt holes ready to know where the hard top goes in (two per side) and low enough that people wouldn't know where they are. So I'll do one of the other. Yes, nothing is Ft. Knox but it's meant to be a deterrant like all deterrant. Plus my jeep is back and I want more black. Has anyone done this? Seen this, Bought this? I'm going to either buy it or make it. I don't have the cash for a hard top. I don't want a hard top. I know how to fabricate and paint.

Kyle
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
my 2000, i kept the sides and back windows out from april to october. drain plugs out, so any water would drain. never needed A/C. never kept valuables inside. worst problem i ever had was some ducks got inside one night...

OP
OP
reachkyleh

reachkyleh

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mental Health Stuff
I appreciate the ideas and even tinted windows can invite a slice. I think I'll still build a frame. Extra thick plexi or multiple bars painted gloss black that kind of looks like a headache rack on a truck but on four sides. Farmers build like overkills. If anyone wants the plans let me know. Although, catching a duck would be nice. Yum.

OP
OP
reachkyleh

reachkyleh

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mental Health Stuff
And then it dawned on me... What's the least noticeable cage in a vehicle after a cop car? Probably a dog crate (I already took out the back seat. So I'm going to put an extra large dog crate in there that is 42 wide (the back width) and about 30" high. And under those blankies and HUGE chew bone is a sub. The amp is under my driver seat. So it's more of a visual deterrent and to look like "nothing special," with the hope that it looks like work to slice my clear plastic with mini metal cage behind it and try to get the cage out of the way to get at any thing. It'll all get locked down and be annoying. Yes, they can snip the cage part but like I said - a visual deterrent. That's the best price point so far. 80$

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of designing/building a similar project for my JLU during topless season (doors on). It's just going to be a deterrent around the rear and not expected to stop a determined thief from getting in.

I already have secure storage in back with a slipstream cover. Just want to make it less handy to jump in the back seat and scrounge around.

JLStorm

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I built a cargo deck out of plywood and covered it with hydroturf. I run topless and doorless all summer, parked in my garage at night. Someone would need to be very determined to get into the cargo area. There's no access except through the trunk.
The best part is I can remove it and install it in under 5 minutes with no tools
Jeep Wrangler JL Cage inside soft top - anyone know, anyone done it? I'm doing it. 1620322558730
Jeep Wrangler JL Cage inside soft top - anyone know, anyone done it? I'm doing it. 1620322576664
Jeep Wrangler JL Cage inside soft top - anyone know, anyone done it? I'm doing it. 1620322592032

OP
OP
reachkyleh

reachkyleh

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mental Health Stuff
That's pretty slick. This was my original post. I'll report back. So I took out my back seats and put in a dog cage that fits tight. That was a great visual deterrent but not the best use of space. I kept my sub in it. Even my friends kept asking when I got a dog. A couple of tossed blankets. Since recently I put the back seat back in as I need it again. BUUUT, two things: 1. That back cargo area can and should be looked right up. Whether seats in it (I have a two door) or not, it's very out of sight and secure. My sub is now there and again, with a black blanket nobody notices.

But the other thing I will do because I hate that there's this very inviting plastic to cut, is I've noticed there's two threaded holes for the hard top per left and right side. Very likely going to make some police looking gloss black cage per side. Nothing I can do for the back yet (unless I actually build a box and put that on top of the box...). But I can't let go of how inviting cutting that plastic is. And with the plastic off, it makes it less attractive to reach inside, which is good - for their own safety if I see them.

JLStorm

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
But the other thing I will do because I hate that there's this very inviting plastic to cut, is I've noticed there's two threaded holes for the hard top per left and right side. Very likely going to make some police looking gloss black cage per side. Nothing I can do for the back yet (unless I actually build a box and put that on top of the box...). But I can't let go of how inviting cutting that plastic is. And with the plastic off, it makes it less attractive to reach inside, which is good - for their own safety if I see them.
Nice job!

I used those hard top holes (M8) to secure a bracket to that I then run a clevis pin into through the top of the deck. They're secured inside with hitch pins. The vertical piece is secured to the top piece with locking quick release hinges.
I have a sub back there and even if someone slices the top, they aren't getting to my sub very easily.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon