First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB
Build Thread
Link
Awesome build Dave! I love the fact that you’re building it yourself!
Sponsored

OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2017 Porsche 911
Build Thread
Link
Replaced the headlights and taillights with LED’s. I went with Mopar OEM's for the headlights, because I like the halos and how bright they are. I had a pair of JW Speakers for a couple of days, and although they were bright, I didn't like how they looked. For the rears, I couldn't justify $550 for some simple Mopar OEM taillights, so I got a pair of eBay for $100 (Part number: 4X4TAILLIGHT-02). I'm actually very happy with the way they look with the smoked lenses and how bright they are!

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build 8E1C21E3-8972-40AB-8712-458C32193B23
Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build 42EDD7B1-F9EC-46E8-99F0-08C24D4D8211
Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build 9EE3BA10-A099-40C8-BB2A-E6EBD03AC81C
Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build 600F8413-740C-432C-A346-0B1028B69155

Last edited:
OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Installed KC Lites Slimlite LED's, ARB Dual Compressor in the ARB underseat mount, Spiderwebshade bikini top, and deleted the antenna this weekend. I'm all set for Moab this week!

The KC's are super bright. Several times brighter than my Mopar LED headlights.

The ARB install was more expensive (lots of additional parts) and a huge effort (6 hours), but it was worth it.

I like the shade, and the antenna delete was quick and easy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build KC Lights

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build ARB Underseat Side FInished

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build ARB Finished Back

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Antenna Delete

Endless Summer

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 AMG E63S
you've done more in a month than most of us in 2 years.. bravo... great build..

tell me about these massive hoops on the front bumper. I've always hated how these look (subjective).. what's the objective use case for them?

Great build. Love the ARB. Agree on stock LED headlights - they are great.

OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
you've done more in a month than most of us in 2 years.. bravo... great build..

tell me about these massive hoops on the front bumper. I've always hated how these look (subjective).. what's the objective use case for them?

Great build. Love the ARB. Agree on stock LED headlights - they are great.
Thanks! I have a tendency to jump right into my hobbies.

The hoops serve different purposes based on the design. Mine is a "stinger", and it is supposed to have many purposes:
  • Stop the jeep from rolling over the nose of the Jeep on a steep decent
  • Keep the engine from being crushed in a rollover
  • Deflect the Jeep off of an obstacle
  • To serve as a ramp to lift the front tires when climbing over an obstacle
I got it because I do like the look ;)

Sponsored

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2019
Thanks! I have a tendency to jump right into my hobbies.

The hoops serve different purposes based on the design. Mine is a "stinger", and it is supposed to have many purposes:
  • Stop the jeep from rolling over the nose of the Jeep on a steep decent
  • Keep the engine from being crushed in a rollover
  • Deflect the Jeep off of an obstacle
  • To serve as a ramp to lift the front tires when climbing over an obstacle
I got it because I do like the look ;)
Looks great but please don't say you've finished - i've been enjoying this thread.
You glamming up the interior or is that too blaa for your skill set?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Doing a very similar install as soon as my 2021 comes in. Couple of questions. What drove your decision to rustys skid plate system vs Metalcloak? Also how do you like the Fox shocks? I am passing through Moab Saturday evening....

OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Looks great but please don't say you've finished - i've been enjoying this thread.
You glamming up the interior or is that too blaa for your skill set?
I don’t think Jeeps are ever done! I’m already thinking about putting on 1 ton axles and 40’s.

I’m going to be in Moab in a couple hours for 3 days of wheeling, so I’m sure I’ll get some inspiration up there

For the interior, I’d like to put in red seat belts. I test drove a recon, and I really liked them on a white Jeep. I probably will upgrade the stereo. I’m also thinking about seat covers, but I wanted to see how the stock ones clean up after running topless in Moab this weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Doing a very similar install as soon as my 2021 comes in. Couple of questions. What drove your decision to rustys skid plate system vs Metalcloak? Also how do you like the Fox shocks? I am passing through Moab Saturday evening....
I watched a YouTube review of a shop owner swapping his Metalcloak skid plates for Rustys to evaluate them. One plus on Rustys is that they remove the factory gas tank skid plate, instead of just covering it. That one approach gave Rustys a full inch of extra clearance over the Metalcloak skids. It also showed the difference in coverage.

The Fox shocks are fine, but I don’t have anything to compare them to.

I’ll shoot you a message with my cell phone, so feel free to hit me up if you want to meet up in Moab

OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I took the Jeep through Moab this past weekend and tackled Fins 'n Things, Hell's Revenge, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, and Poison Spider. The Jeep did great, and I only had a couple of issues. The computer freaked out when I tried to put it into 4WD and disconnect the sway bar on the first obstacle. This normally wouldn't happen, but we were aired down all weekend and just rolled right onto the trails. Lesson learned. Also, I think I knocked my muffler lose, so I have to crawl under and check that out this weekend. The Jeep was so capable that I was making it over obstacles that my buddy in a Sport couldn't. He was lifted on 35's, but the lack of lockers became an issue on some of the obstacles. I can't wait to go back and get the rest of the Jeep trail badges!

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Jeep - Moab - Fins at Sunset

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Jeep - Moab - Front Climbing Hells Gat

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Jeep - Moab - Side Climbing Poison Spider

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Jeep - Moab - Decending Poison Spider

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Jeep - Moab - Side Climbing Steel Bender

Jeep Wrangler JL Cactus Dave's Storm Trooper Rubicon Build Jeep - Moab - Rear Climbing Poison Spider

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Glad the Jeep worked well. It was nice to meet you and take a look at your rig. We tend to go to Moab every Labor Day weekend and will shoot you a note next time we go.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Forgot to ask, did you order the driveshaft before the instal of the lift? Just trying to figure out the length to see if I can get that on order as well. I see you went with Adams. I am also trying to decide between Adams and the one Metalcloak supplies.

OP
OP
CactusDave

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Forgot to ask, did you order the driveshaft before the instal of the lift? Just trying to figure out the length to see if I can get that on order as well. I see you went with Adams. I am also trying to decide between Adams and the one Metalcloak supplies.
I did the driveshaft at the same time as the lift. Talking to my local shop that is very pro-Metalcloak, they still recommended Adams for the driveshaft. I don't think Metalcloak makes the driveshaft that they offer as an option for the lift.