Sponsored

CA Smog Inspection due already?!?!

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Getting ready to renew the registration and noticed I’m being required to pay a state certified tech to connect their computer to the ODB port for 2 minutes and give me a “smog certificate” before my renewal can be considered complete.

It’s been less than 2 years since taking delivery

Just a heads up to other CA diesel owners that there are “no model year exemptions” for diesel-powered vehicles.

Except that they note the following exemption just below that
  • Diesel-powered vehicles that are model-year 1997 and older.
So 🤷🏿‍♂️ there IS a model year exemption! Pretty lame they didn’t notice that mixed message.

Just a heads up to fellow new diesel owners. Even though we have on board systems effectively washing the exhaust fumes, our vehicles are being watched very closely. At least it’s not every year.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
There are some in that state that are going to do whatever they can to get rid of ICE, gas and diesel alike. Adding more fees and tests, anything to increase the burden on cost of ownership to the point no one wants one. Best of luck! :fingerscrossed:

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The first year for the OBD system requirement on diesel vehicles was 1997 and 1996 for gas vehicles. So it is kind of a given that a vehicle without an OBD system would be except from a test that requires an OBD system.

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Getting ready to renew the registration and noticed I’m being required to pay a state certified tech to connect their computer to the ODB port for 2 minutes and give me a “smog certificate” before my renewal can be considered complete.

It’s been less than 2 years since taking delivery

Just a heads up to other CA diesel owners that there are “no model year exemptions” for diesel-powered vehicles.

Except that they note the following exemption just below that
  • Diesel-powered vehicles that are model-year 1997 and older.
So 🤷🏿‍♂️ there IS a model year exemption! Pretty lame they didn’t notice that mixed message.

Just a heads up to fellow new diesel owners. Even though we have on board systems effectively washing the exhaust fumes, our vehicles are being watched very closely. At least it’s not every year.
Coronado, San Diego County here. ‘21 JLURD registration renewal arrived, today.
No requirement for smog; anticipated as much based on your post. Couple of questions, if you don’t mind (1) did you purchase your diesel JL in California? (2) was the smog requirement included with your renewal mailer or delivered separately? (3) did your dealer perform Y81 emission recall? I believe diesel smog ‘spot’ checks occur statewide, regardless of manufacturer. Likely, my turn to smog will come next year or soon after. Sorry your [still new diesel] got flagged.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
1998 and newer diesel vehicles have been required to test every 2 years since 2010. They do not have the 8 model year exemption that gas vehicles do.

Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
1998 and newer diesel vehicles have been required to test every 2 years since 2010. They do not have the 8 model year exemption that gas vehicles do.
Never knew this. Thanks for the info!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It sounds like California is trying to eliminate Diesels, or they are delusional in their thinking that they are the cause for all their pollution.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It sounds like California is trying to eliminate Diesels, or they are delusional in their thinking that they are the cause for all their pollution.
California is delusional in almost every way you could possibly imagine, and it seems they're trying to eliminate anything that doesn't run off of a battery. As it is, I need to wait until I go to Arizona next month to pick up another Honda 2000 generator as they are no longer sold or shipped here.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
That sucks, definitely never bad time to move to Texas! No emissions testing for diesel vehicles here. ;)
Sponsored