CA Overlanding / Legal Camp

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I would like to get more into Overlanding.

Specifically in CA.

Are there any good apps you guys recommend or anyway that I could look up legal camping? Along with cooking, legal trails, levels, etc. I want to make sure I'm not breaking the law or permits I might need. I'm a complete newb.

TIA
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Most of the public lands in California are National Forests. What you really want are the paper maps for the National Forests lands you'll be visiting. Once you're in the forest, nearly all the areas are open to dispersed camping. You always need a "fire permit" if you're going to light any fires, which includes stoves, charcoal, and campfires; and basically you're agreeing to know and follow the rules.

You have to get a new fire permit every year; they're free. Easiest way to get them is any Forest Service ranger station; you can also get them at CalFire stations I think, though I've never done that, and I think they're now possible to get online as well.

There are lots of "informal campgrounds" that count as "dispersed camping" In general, "tread lightly" and "leave no trace" principles tell us that it's better to pick a spot that's already been tamped down for camping and has an existing fire ring, rather than break ground on a new campsite. Or if you do camp in a completely virgin spot, leave it unrecognizable and as you found it, so that other folks don't camp there and it doesn't start become a new informal camsite.

Don't camp within 200 feet of a water source. (Source "Leave No Trace" - other sources say different distances, but in general nobody should be camping close than 100 feet from a water source.)

As we get into permanent fire danger season, campfires tend to be prohibited starting in on or around early July. That still allows for portable stoves. Once we get into August and September that is Fire Season, and personally, I'd be thinking about camping along the coast, or some other state entirely. Between longer dry seasons every year, and decades of fire suppression leading to a fuels overload, we're poised for the next five to ten years to have really bad fire seasons. Let's avoid hijacking the thread to talk about this "hot button" topic - it's just something to consider when you're planning your trips.

Unless you're within some specific distance (like 500 feet) of a public road, or too close to an established campground, or picnic area, or other "day use" area, pretty much all lands in the national forest are available to dispersed camping.

Each specific Forest will have its own published list of prohibited areas - here's the list for Sierra Natl Forest: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sierra/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=45420&actid=34

Check the specific Forest website before you go for any specific time based closures or special orders. Like this year, due to all the fires ALL the National Forests in CA were completely closed for quite a while.

As it gets into fall, be aware of hunting season. Even if you're not hunting yourself, it's good to be aware of safe practices, and expect that you'll hear a certain amount of gunfire. In fact, there's pretty much *always* the possibility you'll hear gunfire in National Forests, as one of the reasons folks go out into the Forest is to take advantage of opportunities to shoot.

As far as online maps apps go, I'm partial to gaia GPS. It may not be the best, but it works well enough and I'm familiar with it.

I'll assume you're familiarizing yourself with the basics of safe traveling and camping from other sources; this post is already too long.

EDIT - final word - I assume you're going "overlanding" to get a sense of isolation in wilderness. Dispersed camping in national forests is a great way to go about this. But California is a crowded place, and be aware of the weekend/midweek recreation rush. A lot of State Parks and spots that are totally packed chock-a-block with people on the weekends, are pretty quiet and isolated midweek. So don't rule out visiting some of the lesser known State Parks and other sites midweek. The Big recreation sites, e.g. Yosemite, Tahoe, Pinecrest, etc... are packed with people all summer long, weekend or no.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Thanks @bjm00se , I have a lot to learn. Seems like a huge hassle and homework for every trip.​
Sort of. Every trip has its legwork. Still most folks find trip planning is part of the fun:

Once per season, get your fire permit, then:

Plan basic location,

Score some maps, (you can pretty much buy them all online now, and have them mailed to you. Once you've got your map collection, gathering the right map is just part of packing)

Do meal planning and provisioning (for me, this is always the longest part)

Physically pack the truck

Let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back

Last minute check for any closures or orders - also check the weather forecast at the same time (this is like - ten minutes, tops)

Go and enjoy the trip.

Check in with your safety-confirmation folks, and let them know you're back.

Unpack

Repeat as desired.

Over time you'll decide exactly which stuff you just permanently want to leave in the jeep.

Personally, there's no way I can camp every weekend. I need a weekend to pack and prep - then a weekend for a trip, then a weekend to unpack and put stuff away. Then I'm ready to start thinking about the next trip.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Solid advice and facts from @bjm00se. Covers most of it. Planning is part of of the fun! Fire permit is important and also make sure you know the fire restrictions of where you are going. I also use the Dyrt app to find dispersed campsites which lets you filter between BLM, USFS and National Park land. The internet has tons of info as well, don’t underestimate it. Have a satellite phone if you’re going to remote areas without signal. Every trip you learn something new for the next trip. The important thing is getting out there, respecting the outdoors and leaving no trace.

Last edited:

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Great thread with good solid advice thanks!
Sponsored