Sponsored

CA buyers that are buying out of state

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Let me help you save some money and not get screwed by our lovely state.

First of all there are a few threads that mention all the items you will need to accomplish this. Here are the forms needed; Reg 31 and 343 from the DMV, Title from the dealer and this usually gets mailed to you in about 7 days from purchase, Sales contract, Smog Cert-yes you need a smog. I heard some say yes and some say no, YOU NEED IT! Others docs listed on other threads but I was not asked for were; proof of ins, bill of sale.

Here is where I am going to save you money AND time.

Get your DMV appointment for 14-19 days after you will be driving your rig into the state. DON"T do what I did. When I got into the state I went to the DMV. The lines at my 3 closest were 4+ hours long. I decided to get an appointment. MY appt was 30 days to the day that I bought the rig. I ended up paying $500 in penalties because I went over the 20 days. Trust me when I say the DMV is not leaniant on this. At the 21st day you get nailed.

I also didn't have a smog but thank god the lady was nice and said if I go get one right now she would allow me to bring it back to her without waiting in line. YOU NEED A SMOG. I even had a DMV person on the phone tell me I didn't.

ALSO something you may not know. When you buy a new car IN STATE your first smog is 5 years. When buying OUT OF STATE you have to get a smog EVERY 2 years. Just an FYI. Another thing no one told me.

Good luck but this was a 2 hour hassle even with an appointment. I did get a huge savings and thanks for that because if it was for a small savings, I would buy local.
Sponsored

JeepWannaBe

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Thank you! Do you recommend any particular out-of-state dealership that makes it worth going through this trouble?

jvanloon

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2022 JLURXR on Order
Agreed with everything Going2drt said. Since moving to CA in 2009 I've purchased two new vehicles out of state. Get your appointment early and get your smog done. I purchased my 16 JKUR from Denis Dillon and had zero issues. They even sent all the registration materials to the CA DMV and took my local sales tax in as part of the original transaction.

To speak to your question JeepWannaBe, I have an order in for a JLUR now with Denis Dillon. I'm delayed because I ordered with a power top, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them. it's a 900 mile drive to get back, but was worth the approx. 13% savings.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! Do you recommend any particular out-of-state dealership that makes it worth going through this trouble?
I got 5% below invoice from Jim Marsh in Vegas. For me it was worth it.

Travis2929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
anybody use their own financing when they went to Jim Marsh?

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I got 7% below invoice in California back in December 2017 when the order banks had recently opened up.

Use those out of state deals to haggle the locals.

A little bit of work will save you the trip.

:like:

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Try Dennis Dillon in ID. I got a great deal and they use Andes Registration Services for CA residents (not sure how it works for other states). All I had to do was get a smog check (about $45) and VIN verification (free from DMV & CHP), then mail the documents along with a check for registration fees to Andes (Dennis Dillon sent the rest of the documents to them). Margo at Andes was great and told me exactly what I needed to do. I just went through this and should have plates soon.

Travis2929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Try Dennis Dillon in ID. I got a great deal and they use Andes Registration Services for CA residents (not sure how it works for other states). All I had to do was get a smog check (about $45) and VIN verification (free from DMV & CHP), then mail the documents along with a check for registration fees to Andes (Dennis Dillon sent the rest of the documents to them). Margo at Andes was great and told me exactly what I needed to do. I just went through this and should have plates soon.
did you use your own financing? I am hearing dealers are adding penalties for using your own financing. Pre payment penalty or something similar.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you didn't use Jim Marsh financing then the deal would be $500 more. I used them at the minimum amount just to get the extra $500. I will pay it off right away.

If I needed to use my own financing I would have and just gave up the $500. Jeep rates suck compared to my CU.

Sponsored

jvanloon

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With Dennis Dillon, if you use your own financing the discount reduced
Is reduced by $1,000. But you can use theirs and refi after 6 payments.

jvanloon

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did go with their financing during the purchase and then converted to my own credit union for 36 months after the initial six months. This was on my 16 JKUR. I'm planning to do the same thing with the JL I have on order.