Sponsored

Bypass keyless start

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is there an emergency start procedure for when your key fob decides to quit?

I'm trying to leave the beach last night with the family all loaded up, and my JL decides it can't find my FOB signal. It got a little wet, but not like it was dipped in the water. Lock and Unlock still work, but my Jeep can't find the signal and won't let me start. Not a fun end to an otherwise great day.

What are we supposed to do? Tough to call a flatbed wrecker when your out of cell phone service, not to mention being 15 miles up the beach where most flatbed wreckers would hesitate to come anyway, especially in the dark.

After opening the fob and messing with it for 15 min, It finally let me press the start button WITH the fob and it started. Again, what are we supposed to do? What if your in the mud with your doors off and the fob gets wet? Stupid reason to be stranded in an inaccessible place.

I'd like to have my backup plan ready because if it's happened once, chances are it will happen again. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I carry my second Fob in a Faraday bag, in a Hitch Safe, just for the " lost Fob, Dead Fob don't leave me stranded" Scenario. Bolt Hood Lock too, just because.
So your fob didn't do the "press start button with Fob end" initially ? Doggone

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Is there an emergency start procedure for when your key fob decides to quit?

I'm trying to leave the beach last night with the family all loaded up, and my JL decides it can't find my FOB signal. It got a little wet, but not like it was dipped in the water. Lock and Unlock still work, but my Jeep can't find the signal and won't let me start. Not a fun end to an otherwise great day.

What are we supposed to do? Tough to call a flatbed wrecker when your out of cell phone service, not to mention being 15 miles up the beach where most flatbed wreckers would hesitate to come anyway, especially in the dark.

After opening the fob and messing with it for 15 min, It finally let me press the start button WITH the fob and it started. Again, what are we supposed to do? What if your in the mud with your doors off and the fob gets wet? Stupid reason to be stranded in an inaccessible place.

I'd like to have my backup plan ready because if it's happened once, chances are it will happen again. Thanks in advance
@Toycrusher

When you get a chance, do read your JL's Owner's Manual .... lots of pertinent info there..

When your fob battery dies or your fob's circuit board dies, you can still start your JL, thanks to the RFID chip in the fob..

With your foot pressing down firmly on the brake pedal, you press the end of the fob that houses the RFID chip against the start button firmly.... the JL will then start. Each time you go to restart the JL, you will have to do this until you get your fob working/replaced.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bypass keyless start chi

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Toycrusher

When you get a chance, do read your JL's Owner's Manual .... lots of pertinent info there..

When your fob battery dies or your fob's circuit board dies, you can still start your JL, thanks to the RFID chip in the fob..

With your foot pressing down firmly on the brake pedal, you press the end of the fob that houses the RFID chip against the start button firmly.... the JL will then start. Each time you go to restart the JL, you will have to do this until you get your fob working/replaced.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bypass keyless start chi

I've heard about that "manual" thing...

Appreciate the assist. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I carry my second Fob in a Faraday bag, in a Hitch Safe, just for the " lost Fob, Dead Fob don't leave me stranded" Scenario. Bolt Hood Lock too, just because.
So your fob didn't do the "press start button with Fob end" initially ? Doggone
I think it's about time I pack a spare. Thanks

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's about time I pack a spare. Thanks
@Toycrusher

There really is no reason to "pack a spare" ..... really no need lets say, to carry one in a Faraday Bag stashed on the vehicle ... unless perhaps you are going far far far away from home / traveling....

Just know how to use the RFID Chip to start the JL.

I carry multiple fobs (in Faraday Bags...) in my JL..... because I am a tester of the DI Labs aftermarket fobs and because I travel lots....

Here is a very decent Faraday Bag if you are interested in one.. I have 3 of these... Price is down on them now... $10.00. This Faraday Bag is rated highly and not known to become damaged easily and then fail to do it's job.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Toycrusher

There really is no reason to "pack a spare" ..... really no need lets say, to carry one in a Faraday Bag stashed on the vehicle ... unless perhaps you are going far far far away from home / traveling....

Just know how to use the RFID Chip to start the JL.

I carry multiple fobs (in Faraday Bags...) in my JL..... because I am a tester of the DI Labs aftermarket fobs and because I travel lots....

Here is a very decent Faraday Bag if you are interested in one.. I have 3 of these... Price is down on them now... $10.00. This Faraday Bag is rated highly and not known to become damaged easily and then fail to do it's job.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. I'll grab one. I started it using the fob-into-button method, but didn't realize that was a safety feature, I just figured it was barely starting to transmit.

I'm planning on stashing a spare fob because, while this time it was a malfunction, it could very easily be a flat-out lost key next time. With three kids on board between 1 and 11, extended stucks are even less fun than normal

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the link. I'll grab one. I started it using the fob-into-button method, but didn't realize that was a safety feature, I just figured it was barely starting to transmit.

I'm planning on stashing a spare fob because, while this time it was a malfunction, it could very easily be a flat-out lost key next time. With three kids on board between 1 and 11, extended stucks are even less fun than normal
Also, consider having a copy of the JL Owner's Manual in PDF form (free) on your smartphone... Naaaah, not razing you..... I'm serious...

If you have an automatic ...do read about :
Jeep Wrangler JL Bypass keyless start yy.JPG

IF you need help finding same/acquiring the PDF, post here and I will give you a link.... Will need to know year model of your JL.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Also, consider having a copy of the JL Owner's Manual in PDF form (free) on your smartphone... Naaaah, not razing you..... I'm serious...

If you have an automatic ...do read about :
Jeep Wrangler JL Bypass keyless start yy.JPG

IF you need help finding same/acquiring the PDF, post here and I will give you a link.... Will need to know year model of your JL.

I have a 6 speed. The manual is actually loaded in the 8.4 display, but it's a pain to scroll through and thus have never really spent much time with it.

On a separate note, is there anywhere to get a fob other than the dealer?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 6 speed. The manual is actually loaded in the 8.4 display, but it's a pain to scroll through and thus have never really spent much time with it.

On a separate note, is there anywhere to get a fob other than the dealer?

@Toycrusher

Big problem with the Owner's Manual on the 8.4 display is that when you have a no start / battery(2) depletion issue, etc. , viewing the Manual on the 8.4 ain't gonna happen... Best to have Manual on the smartphone or to carry the huge, full paper manual. YOU will someday need info you find in the manual...

While guys here have spewed / talked about getting a JL fob from somewhere other then Mopar.... no one that I know of at least, has posted such info ..... linked to a source..

Thanks to supply problems you will probably play hell trying to buy one from Mopar.... new JL's are presently shipping with one fob thanks to the supply/chip problem..

Sponsored

MRMDFY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadowbanned and taking the bus
Thanks to supply problems you will probably play hell trying to buy one from Mopar.... new JL's are presently shipping with one fob thanks to the supply/chip problem..

Thanks, I didn't know that. Do we get a IOU for a second when availability returns?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)