Buying used Jeep that was towed behind RV

Zebulon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I found a used JL that would suit me and is priced well. It’s a 2018 JLU manual with 22k miles and was towed behind an RV. Other than more tire wear for the miles and possibly rock chips on the front, is there anything problematic with these that were towed with all four wheels on the ground?
Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
As long as it was towed properly then all should be good. Not sure on the manual but with an automatic you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park. No damage is done to the drivetrain that way. Ask if they know how many towing miles it has just so you know for when suspension issues need to be addressed. If it still has the baseplate then you can sell that used or they might have put on an aftermarket steel bumper and towed it from the shackle lugs. The wiring is probably still in it which is no big deal. There should be a 4 way wire harness running from the front to the back and then tied into the tail lights. More than likely they cut the factory wire harness and put diodes in for the tail lights. Again no big deal if they are still there .

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If towed properly should not be an issue. I’ve drug mine 10 k miles in the last 18 months. Only thing I’m seeing is more tire wear than the odo indicates

Sponsored

Guitargal

First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLSport Unlimited
Here's another point of view-from an owner: We had a 2007JK with V6 automatic that we bought new. We drove it for close to 150,000 miles and dragged it behind our RV for at leat another 50,000 miles. It was properly maintained and serviced. Last year we had to replace the fuel injectors, the driveshaft , tie rod ends and ball joints (the last three only because the rubber dam around them had worn through and water could leak through. ) I know you're looking for a much newer Jeep, but if it was maintained as ours was you should be fine. I wish I still had that old '07-only traded it in because my husband wanted an 8 speed transmission and a peppier engine. Sigh. I'd trade this 2021 JLU for the old one in a heartbeat. Too many sensors and other stuff under the hood.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
A vehicle set up to be flat towed is a positive even if you don’t have a MH. My Honda broke down 3AM, country road, no cell service, someone coming the other way stopped and gave me a ride home. Grabbed the tow bar, took the PU and got it, towed it to the shop the next day. Unfortunately not the only time I towed the unreliable POS to the shop, but it was the last, blown cam seal fixed and sold it.

Last edited:

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
As said. If towed properly, all good. I towed my TJ well over 100K miles.

One of the reasons I bought my 2019 Rubi is that the previous owner set it up to tow. That saves several thousand dollars getting a non-toad set up. Look at this this way. You can get a premium when you sell it as motorhome owners will be a great audience to adv it to. Jeeps are very popular for us MHers. So easy to hook up and go.
Sponsored