Buying used Jeep that was towed behind RV

Zebulon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I found a used JL that would suit me and is priced well. It’s a 2018 JLU manual with 22k miles and was towed behind an RV. Other than more tire wear for the miles and possibly rock chips on the front, is there anything problematic with these that were towed with all four wheels on the ground?
Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
As long as it was towed properly then all should be good. Not sure on the manual but with an automatic you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park. No damage is done to the drivetrain that way. Ask if they know how many towing miles it has just so you know for when suspension issues need to be addressed. If it still has the baseplate then you can sell that used or they might have put on an aftermarket steel bumper and towed it from the shackle lugs. The wiring is probably still in it which is no big deal. There should be a 4 way wire harness running from the front to the back and then tied into the tail lights. More than likely they cut the factory wire harness and put diodes in for the tail lights. Again no big deal if they are still there .

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If towed properly should not be an issue. I’ve drug mine 10 k miles in the last 18 months. Only thing I’m seeing is more tire wear than the odo indicates
Sponsored