usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Hey guys,

Anyone with opinions or experience buying out of state? I'm thinking of making a road trip to pick up a New Rubi JL. Can't find any close to me in route or on the lot with what I want; mainly Leather, Tow Package, and Red. See a lot of them within 5 hours from me.

Is there any real Cons to buying out of state other than the drive?

Thanks!
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Hey guys,

Anyone with opinions or experience buying out of state? I'm thinking of making a road trip to pick up a New Rubi JL. Can't find any close to me in route or on the lot with what I want; mainly Leather, Tow Package, and Red. See a lot of them within 5 hours from me.

Thanks!
Just be sure to work out taxes. For instance, if you buy in a state that doesn't collect taxes for your state, you will have to pay them when you register back home. One out of state dealer told me that they would estimate the cost for me so that I could roll that into the loan and then they would cut me a check for that amount so that I could pay it when I got home.

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Just be sure to work out taxes. For instance, if you buy in a state that doesn't collect taxes for your state, you will have to pay them when you register back home. One out of state dealer told me that they would estimate the cost for me so that I could roll that into the loan and then they would cut me a check for that amount so that I could pay it when I got home.
Hey buddy I really appreciate it!

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
From my own limited experience, it really depends on how much experience the dealership has, with selling to out-of-state customers. Those with good experience, can make the process easy and painless.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Hey guys,

Thanks!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-deals-found-on-a-new-jl.2436/page-5#post-43165
This thread, if you have not seen it, lists some of the best deals found (which addresses a question you posted in another thread), but also contains posts about the best deals found in other states and people’s thoughts about traveling to purchase.

Sponsored

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks a lot Walt and Mid Life!!!!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thanks a lot Walt and Mid Life!!!!
Curious about your location. Craig at Koons has been super helpful as well as Aaron from Dave Dennis. I haven't bought from either, but they both have been very helpful and professional. I've gotten a good vibe from them both. Turns out that Dave Dennis is about 1/2 the distance to me as Koons.

Last edited:

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Curious about your location. Craig at Koons has been super helpful as well as Aaron from Dennis Dillon. I haven't bought from either, but they both have been very helpful and professional. I've gotten a good vibe from them both. Turns out that Dennis Dillon is about 1/2 the distance to me as Koons.
I think you mean Dave Dennis in Dayton, OH. Dillon’s is in Idaho.

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Curious about your location. Craig at Koons has been super helpful as well as Aaron from Dave Dennis. I haven't bought from either, but they both have been very helpful and professional. I've gotten a good vibe from them both. Turns out that Dave Dennis is about 1/2 the distance to me as Koons.
Thanks Digital!!! Aaron might be a possibility for me at Dave Dennis; I'm in the Chicagoland area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Dennis has EXACTLY what I'm looking for coming in! I am waiting to hear back from another dealer that is closer to me but if that doesn't work out I would like to speak with Aaron if you have his contact info? If so you could PM me. I will let him know you recommended him. That's if he even wants his info shared. Thanks!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a local dealer to price-match whatever you can manage out of state. Assuming you get that out of state offer on paper.

A lot of dealerships will price-match to get the sale.
Sponsored