First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Occupation
Registered Nurse
If you have the means, go get the Jeep that YOU want! :rock: Re taxes, you’ll pay what taxes Oregon charges at the time of purchase wherever you choose to purchase. Also, when you do get your vehicle, please post pictures and update this thread. You’ve been given plenty of great tips. Have fun!!
I need more people like you in my life lol My JKU is my baby, but a Bikini JLU... GAME OVER. :giggle:
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Also. Speaking of sales tax. If I'm an Oregon resident, but I buy somewhere with sales tax - do I still have to pay sales tax on the vehicle I'm purchasing, or can I use my Oregon residency to get me out of it?
Slaes tax is based on where you register the vehicle. Bikini was just introduced so I doubt it will disappear for a while.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Southern Oregon; but not opposed to driving down to central California, Reno, Seattle - or anywhere in between (obviously would prefer to fly the further I get, but who knows if that'll be an option, especially if I still have my JKU.

Oregon does not charge sales tax. Do you know how that would affect it if I went somewhere that does? I've never taken a care as a trade in out of state.
You are in a better position because OR has no sales tax. You will not have to take a sales tax credit into consideration when you trade. You can sell to anyone without the sales tax consequence. Take it to Carmax and go online to Carvana to get real time quotes on what you can sell your JK for wholesale. You can sell to Carmax or Carvana outright because there is not a sales tax credit involved for OR. Or you can trade to a dealer. Even a dealer out of state but that will involve some work. Wholesale used car prices just took a huge dump very recently. Be prepared for a -10% offer. Or better yet, sell it yourself to someone for private part retail.

I think you will find a dealer willing to deal in your neck of the woods. How far are the dealers who have something you like? You can always email the sales manager of all the dealers who have what you want on the lots. Make them compete for your business. Tell them you will buy from who ever gives you the best price. CC all of them so they know they are bidding for your business.

You want Bikini. What model, options?

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I bought a couple weeks ago in Salem, OR as a Washington resident, a bit over 13% off msrp and 40% of Kelly bluebook value
(range was ~13.5-15.5, I got a bit over 14K) on my trade in.
Also 0% financing. So that is at least attainable

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a couple weeks ago in Salem, OR as a Washington resident, a bit over 13% off msrp and 40% of Kelly bluebook value
This is a good start for Katie.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Carvana is not purchasing vehicles at this time: they’re only doing trade ins.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carvana is not purchasing vehicles at this time: they’re only doing trade ins.
Probably due to the glut of used cars on the secondary market. I believe there are Autonation stores in the WA area. I'd try them too. Actually I would shop the trade to as many dealers as possible. I'd include used car lots.

OP
OP
jeeperkatie

jeeperkatie

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Occupation
Registered Nurse
You are in a better position because OR has no sales tax. You will not have to take a sales tax credit into consideration when you trade. You can sell to anyone without the sales tax consequence. Take it to Carmax and go online to Carvana to get real time quotes on what you can sell your JK for wholesale. You can sell to Carmax or Carvana outright because there is not a sales tax credit involved for OR. Or you can trade to a dealer. Even a dealer out of state but that will involve some work. Wholesale used car prices just took a huge dump very recently. Be prepared for a -10% offer. Or better yet, sell it yourself to someone for private part retail.

I think you will find a dealer willing to deal in your neck of the woods. How far are the dealers who have something you like? You can always email the sales manager of all the dealers who have what you want on the lots. Make them compete for your business. Tell them you will buy from who ever gives you the best price. CC all of them so they know they are bidding for your business.

You want Bikini. What model, options?
Sahara is my goal, but if I found a Sport S with the right options/for the right price, I'd consider it. I've touched on this in some of my other posts, but I still have a loan out on my JKU, so there's a little technical issue as far as trying to coordinate selling privately and purchasing. I'm afraid my Jeep would sell quickly, thus leaving me without anything until I could coordinate getting the new one. But on the opposite side, I'm afraid that if I went ahead and attempted to buy a new one, without off-loading my current - I'll be stuck with two car payments, which is not an option.

After searching all day today, I've found 3 Bikini JLUs that matched what I am looking for. All are about 5-6 hours away. 2 of which are brand new 2019s, which I'm not opposed to, but obviously I'd rather have the 2020. If a dealer in my area can get me what I want at the price I want, I'd rather keep my business local. Just a lot of work all around to try and make something happen lol

OP
OP
jeeperkatie

jeeperkatie

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Thank you! That gives me some hope! KBB says my JKU range is ~ 22-24.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara is my goal, but if I found a Sport S with the right options/for the right price, I'd consider it. I've touched on this in some of my other posts, but I still have a loan out on my JKU, so there's a little technical issue as far as trying to coordinate selling privately and purchasing. I'm afraid my Jeep would sell quickly, thus leaving me without anything until I could coordinate getting the new one. But on the opposite side, I'm afraid that if I went ahead and attempted to buy a new one, without off-loading my current - I'll be stuck with two car payments, which is not an option.

After searching all day today, I've found 3 Bikini JLUs that matched what I am looking for. All are about 5-6 hours away. 2 of which are brand new 2019s, which I'm not opposed to, but obviously I'd rather have the 2020. If a dealer in my area can get me what I want at the price I want, I'd rather keep my business local. Just a lot of work all around to try and make something happen lol
It will take some work no matter what you do.

Call your bank and ask for the pay off amount. You need to figure out what your Wrangler is really worth and what your pay off is to determine what kind of equity you have.

You really should take your car to a Carmax, Autonation and other dealers to see what they will pay you for your old Wrangler. That way you have a rough idea of what your JK is worth. You can also sell directly to them.

Trading in your Wrangler to the dealer you buy from is the most convenient because they will pay off your loan and roll any equity into your new Wrangler. You just need to make sure you are getting a fair value for it. This is why you need to shop your Wrangler around to as many dealers as possible. Like I said, Carmax and Autonation are good starting points.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! That gives me some hope! KBB says my JKU range is ~ 22-24.
You might be surprised with valuation. Dealers might not offer as much. Used cars are dropping at a very unusual pace recently due to covid19 and the economy. About 10% less then normal in the last month. This is historic and has never happened before.

Take your Wrangler to Carmax and other dealers for a real number. There is no obligation.

OP
OP
jeeperkatie

jeeperkatie

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Occupation
Registered Nurse
You might be surprised with valuation. Dealers might not offer as much. Used cars are dropping at a very unusual pace recently due to covid19 and the economy. About 10% less then normal in the last month. This is historic and has never happened before.

Take your Wrangler to Carmax and other dealers for a real number. There is no obligation.
I tried doing the KBB outright pricing; not realizing I wouldn't get an estimate right then and there. From there, only one dealership in my immediate area was a buyer, and it was a VW dealership. They offered me $19k, which TBH, was fairly discouraging, because I definitely need more out of my jeep to make this even feasible in my mind. :facepalm: Unfortunately there isn't an Autonation even within 200 miles of me. And the closest Carmax is 3 hours away. If I'm making that drive, I'll be bummed if it's for no reason.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried doing the KBB outright pricing; not realizing I wouldn't get an estimate right then and there. From there, only one dealership in my immediate area was a buyer, and it was a VW dealership. They offered me $19k, which TBH, was fairly discouraging, because I definitely need more out of my jeep to make this even feasible in my mind. :facepalm: Unfortunately there isn't an Autonation even within 200 miles of me. And the closest Carmax is 3 hours away. If I'm making that drive, I'll be bummed if it's for no reason.
Cuyose said:

Try his dealer.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cuyose said:
Try his dealer.
Sponsored