Sponsored

Buying off the lot

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Sounds like $50K or less would be a good deal depending on if that's everything or they try to take on a few thousand.
A reasonable dealer will negotiate a competitive price and then they won't try to make up a lot of profit on add-on stuff, including financing. I got quotes for a Wrangler Unlimited Sport that included around $450 in fees. At this point I wouldn't even ask what the fees are for. Real or imaginary they can be part of the dealer's profit and I don't mind that they make a profit, as long as the total deal is reasonable. In our state we pay 6.25% sales tax so that was also added on. If you read enough reviews on dealers you find plenty that add on lots of other questionable fees to pump up their profit. In the old days it was "undercoating", "floormats", "upholstery protection" and "paint protection" that dealers used to increase profits. I don't know what the things are these days that they are trying to sell.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what the things are these days that they are trying to sell.
Seems like warranties are the big one they try to sell. On Jeeps, maybe over priced lift kits and wheel/tire packages.
Around here, there's some questionable dealers that try to add on rediculous ammounts of documentation fees and imaginary crap like that.

Recently, my daughter was looking at a used Cherokee Trailhawk. There was almost $5k in "fees" on top of the advertised price. We walked out on that one.

Realistically, I don't care what the dealer calls the line items. Total it up into a bottom line price and give me that. No surprises. I want to know the price plus registration and tax. Those 2 are regulated by the state and non negotiable.

OP
OP

Talental

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima
So, after running some numbers and using the invoice pricing guides provided on this forum, my math tells me that 7% below invoice would be $46,900 ish.
I called and talked with the salesman today and offered $47,000 He acted like this wouldn’t work at all. That maybe he could come down a few hundred.
He said he would email me tomorrow.
They are already at $50,280.

At what point to do I walk? What point do i say we have a deal? It’s a difference of $3k right now. So to me we are really close.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Walk if they don’t do at least 7. I did. Dude said they could barely do $500 below invoice. I literally laughed and walked out.
Plenty of dealers will do 7-8%.

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
So, after running some numbers and using the invoice pricing guides provided on this forum, my math tells me that 7% below invoice would be $46,900 ish.
I called and talked with the salesman today and offered $47,000 He acted like this wouldn’t work at all. That maybe he could come down a few hundred.

At what point to do I walk? What point do i say we have a deal? It’s a difference of $3k right now. So to me we are really close.
Crisswell and Koons will do 7-8% off invoice any day of the week they are open. That is all you have to say to any salesman when you walk in the door. If they can’t match it walk? Unless yo I want to pay more than you have to. That’s your call tho

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU

$3000 to a salesman is huge gap. My guess is that they mentioned dropping a few hundred dollars so they can go to around a $1000 off tomorrow to make you feel Ike they are cutting you a great deal. If you really want to stick to the 7% below invoice then stand firm and tell them to call you back if they change their minds. I even mentioned this forum during my negotiation in 2018 and pointed out the prices people were paying for Jeeps and extended warranties.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I offered $47,000 He acted like this wouldn’t work at all. That maybe he could come down a few hundred and email me tomorrow. They are already at $50,280. At what point to do I walk? What point do i say we have a deal? It’s a difference of $3k right now. So to me we are really close.
You offered $47k, he said $50k and then said let’s talk tomorrow. Uh, what...?! Excuse me? No. That’s not going to work.

“The only thing we’re going to talk about tomorrow is how you and your dealership lost a sale and my business because you weren’t willing to come down to my price. And you know something else? I went across town and found a similarly optioned Wrangler with a different color and it doesn’t have exactly what I want in terms of options. But hey listen, it’s the same price as the Jeep you have and the dealer is willing to sell it to me at $47k. So a seller found a buyer. And I’m going in later today to sign the paperwork. Unless you guys want my business and will sell that Jeep to me at the price I wanted... last chance, this sale is yours to keep or to lose.”

Make sure you find their local competitor and find one off their lot that is similar to what you want but is a different color. Have a stock number, the msrp and let the dealer know you’re buying from the other location because they’re willing to play ball. And those who play ball get the sale. See what the dealer that has your Wrangler says.

Even if the above is more trouble to you than it’s worth, I’d still encourage you to go elsewhere. I’m not a rich man by any means so for me, $3k is not even remotely in the area of really close to where you need to be price wise. 3k is a lot of money.

ripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've wanted a Wrangler forever, but needed something to tow my boat. I tried to talk the wife into trading her paid off vehicle in on a Wrangler and she declined. I ended up buying a Gladiator which I'm thrilled with. Bad news is after her experience with my Gladiator, she wants a Wrangler, so it's research time. I'm looking to buy off of the lot also for the simple reason I don't want to miss out on the incentives right now. As everyone knows incentives on Wranglers are rare and the friends and family pricing going on now probably won't last.
It's my opinion that if dealers were able to go under invoice before the incentives, they should be more willing to go well under invoice now.
We shall see, dealerships in PA are now open so we are heading out to look at some Wranglers.

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
I've wanted a Wrangler forever, but needed something to tow my boat. I tried to talk the wife into trading her paid off vehicle in on a Wrangler and she declined. I ended up buying a Gladiator which I'm thrilled with. Bad news is after her experience with my Gladiator, she wants a Wrangler, so it's research time. I'm looking to buy off of the lot also for the simple reason I don't want to miss out on the incentives right now. As everyone knows incentives on Wranglers are rare and the friends and family pricing going on now probably won't last.
It's my opinion that if dealers were able to go under invoice before the incentives, they should be more willing to go well under invoice now.
We shall see, dealerships in PA are now open so we are heading out to look at some Wranglers.
Don’t settle for anything less than 7-8% off invoice

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$3000 to a salesman is huge gap. My guess is that they mentioned dropping a few hundred dollars so they can go to around a $1000 off tomorrow to make you feel Ike they are cutting you a great deal. If you really want to stick to the 7% below invoice then stand firm and tell them to call you back if they change their minds. I even mentioned this forum during my negotiation in 2018 and pointed out the prices people were paying for Jeeps and extended warranties.
They do have a profit margin and they want to make a profit, although there are other circumstances where they would want to move vehicles for less such as when production resumes and they have nowhere to put the new ones. And every dealer is different. I don't negotiate cars very often but I learned that if you spend enough time at a dealer talking/negotiating/arguing with them you will eventually reach their lowest price and that will be it. You have to recognize when that is reached and either buy it or leave. A different dealer will have a different limit so shopping around is worthwhile but takes a lot of time.

I don't believe in worrying about pennies. Just as an example if the vehicle is $55k and you get a price of $50k, and it is the vehicle you want, maybe this deal is good enough. That's 9% off of MSRP. Another full 1% off is only $550. I wouldn't walk out and start shopping elsewhere for $550. You may not find another deal this good, you may not find a vehicle you like as well, etc. But if you have multiple vehicles in mind that are acceptable, you can work the dealers against each other and pick the deal you think is best. In this scenario you might save more than $550.

Sponsored

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
They do have a profit margin and they want to make a profit, although there are other circumstances where they would want to move vehicles for less such as when production resumes and they have nowhere to put the new ones. And every dealer is different. I don't negotiate cars very often but I learned that if you spend enough time at a dealer talking/negotiating/arguing with them you will eventually reach their lowest price and that will be it. You have to recognize when that is reached and either buy it or leave. A different dealer will have a different limit so shopping around is worthwhile but takes a lot of time.

I don't believe in worrying about pennies. Just as an example if the vehicle is $55k and you get a price of $50k, and it is the vehicle you want, maybe this deal is good enough. That's 9% off of MSRP. Another full 1% off is only $550. I wouldn't walk out and start shopping elsewhere for $550. You may not find another deal this good, you may not find a vehicle you like as well, etc. But if you have multiple vehicles in mind that are acceptable, you can work the dealers against each other and pick the deal you think is best. In this scenario you might save more than $550.
You need to be haggling off invoice price. In which case will usually be around 1500-2000 off the MSRP price of a Rubicon. I agree completely, but if you can save another 3 grand somewhere I think that is huge. 500 bucks I wouldn’t walk out for that tho.

wjcook68

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
FWIW, Just bought a JLU Rubicon up in the Pacific Northwest that was stickered at $52,690. Out the door at $47,000.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, Just bought a JLU Rubicon up in the Pacific Northwest that was stickered at $52,690. Out the door at $47,000.
If $47k includes fees and TTL then that's a really good deal. If that is just the sales price of the vehicle then it is right at 11% off of MSRP which is still a pretty good deal.

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
Buying off the lot I'd expect lower than MSRP but not lower than invoice. You can get at least 7% off invoice if you order.
We will sell you an in-stock Wrangler for up to 8% below invoice (same as a factory order). [email protected]
If you can find one on a lot (either ours or any other) it will definetly save you a couple months. If you're buting a Sport or Sahara you may be able to take advantage of Employee pricing for all and get a better deal than a factory order.

The factory is reopening on Monday, May 18 at a significantly reduced capacity. One shift instead of three and it will be at 60% due to the new safety measures. (that's 20% of normal building capacity). Current factory orders will be built first followed by standard allocation units.

That being said, there are too many variables to guess at a delivery time. No telling how many orders are in ahead of the 40 or so we have placed since the the Covid-19 debacle began.

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
We can sell you an in-stock Wrangler for up to 8% below invoice if you are interested. About 300 in stock so a lot of options exist. [email protected]
Sponsored