Sponsored

Buying off the lot

Talental

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima
Hey, about to purchase my first Rubicon. (Firecracker red) I am going to be buying off the lot since ordering is taking so long and, I just can’t wait.

I am in North Alabama and willing to drive anywhere in the south for a great deal.
What kind of percent off of invoice should I expect since I am buying off the lot instead of ordering?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm not sure that the discount will vary, but the factory's reopening is imminent. Why not get exactly what you want by ordering? Scan these forums and you'll see: "I wish I had that option" or "I had to take options that I didn't want". The average unwanted option is probably equivalent to about 2% ($1,000) discount.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Buying off the lot I'd expect lower than MSRP but not lower than invoice. You can get at least 7% off invoice if you order.

OP
OP

Talental

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima
I was under the impression that ordering was taking forever.
If I were to order one this week, how long before I took delivery?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hard to say. It usually takes about 4 weeks, but it'll be several weeks (maybe) before they're up & running, and then there will be orders in front of you. If I were to make a guess, I'd say July at the soonest.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Buying off the lot I'd expect lower than MSRP but not lower than invoice.
I bought my 2020 Sport Altitude off the lot under dealer invoice. It can be done.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I am in North Alabama and willing to drive anywhere in the south for a great deal. What kind of percent off of invoice should I expect since I am buying off the lot instead of ordering?
Don’t drive anywhere - most dealers won’t play ball like you want. There are several dealers who support this forum and it’s members.

Go to Criswell Jeep in Gaithersburg, MD, look at their prices and see if there’s anything you like. Several of us have done business with them and can provide you with a direct contact if you’re wanting to move forward on something you like.

I did business with them because they didn’t bs around price, there wasn’t any haggling and everything was upfront and transparent.

Others have had great experiences with other dealerships as well. At the end of the day, go with whoever’s going to do right by you.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My 2018 was totaled a couple of weeks ago. They should start taking 2021 orders around late July. With orders backed up, I’m not sure what the best course of action is...order 2020, buy off the lot, or wait and order 2021. I’m sure prices will go up a bit on a 2021, but who knows with the state of the economy. Then again, FCA may push back new models if they have a stockpile of parts for 2020 models.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
My 2018 was totaled a couple of weeks ago. They should start taking 2021 orders around late July. With orders backed up, I’m not sure what the best course of action is...order 2020, buy off the lot, or wait and order 2021..
Sorry to hear your vehicle was totaled, but glad you’re okay.

Some people sweat the year models. I say, go with whatever works best for your financial situation.

If it’s a 2019/2020/2021, get the Mopar Extended Warranty and you’re covered if anything goes wrong.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If nothing else, join (at least 30 days prior to buying) Treadlighty.com. That gets you a 1% below invoice discount deal.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought off the lot last June. According to what KBB says the invoice should have been, I got 4% below that (then add GA registration and GA new vehicle tax of 7% on top of it).

This was on a JLUR that had everything but a hard top and upgraded wheels and a sticker of $55,635.

While there were options on my Jeep off the lot that I was not 100% on having (Addaptive cruis and painted fenders), I don't regret getting any of them now. Steel bumpers were a must have when I bought, and while I like the look, I do feel there were over priced especially after adding a winch plate.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It is essentially impossible for non-FCA folks to estimate this accurately.

that said, one buyer who ordered before the shutdown (I think) was told by his dealer that delivery would be June 10th.

jeep is going back to work on the 18th with one shift.

if You ordered now, I’m guessing that it would be “more than a month” before you would receive your Jeep.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
its up to you on what you want in a jeep. what i did was, go to the jeep website and build a jeep the way you want it. look at all the options and see what you have to have and what you can live without.. once you have done that, do a search within your zip code. you will be able to see what jeeps closely match to your build and the price of it. from there go to the dealer website to see what deals they are offering.

once you find a jeep, take the stock number and walk into the dealer and tell them you have this jeep and want to look / test drive it. this will cut out the sales guy in yapping you in to a jeep that you dont want. if you like what you see, then start dealing on the price. keep a price in mind.

i did the exact thing and found the exact jeep i was looking for. the sales guy got the hint that i knew what i was looking for and cut right down to the chase and started negot. on the price.

as to the org. question on ordering, i believe you can order one now and lock in on a price. the question is how backed up the production will be between reguler and custom orders. if you order one now, you might not see it till july. which leads to the next question as to when the cut off is on a 2020 order and taking orders for the 2021 order.

in that case, i would look at whats on the lot and strike a deal. you might get lucky to find a dealer that want to clear out there 18/19/20 models out for the 21s. i think the jeep website is offering $5k off selected models.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I recently purchased a 2 door Rubicon from Farrish Jeep in Fairfax, VA. I was treated fairly and was given an exceptional deal. Talk with Sales Consultant Mark Jones. I believe they still have a couple or more 2 door Rubicons on their lot.
Sponsored