Sponsored

Buying Off The Lot - Can I Request Removing Convenience Group?

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
not a jeep dealer, but I was called a "grinder" by a ford dealer when I tried to get them to reprice based on an add-on that wasn't agreed upon. Apparently that is a known industry term. I'm a grinder.
Good for you. That was a compliment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying Off The Lot - Can I Request Removing Convenience Group? 20220612_220029

I've spent hundreds of hours reading and watching videos detailing the real inner workings of car dealers and learning their slang, tricks and deceptions. That is why I like Gupton so much, such a one-of-a-kind unicorn in the car business.
Sponsored

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2023 JLUR on order
For what it’s worth, on my Willys that I custom ordered in 2019 they made me order the convenience package, it was a “required option” for my build.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The key FOB remote start is free now that you paid for the convenience package. As long as your are in range. If you want to start you Jeep from Italy... then pay for the subscription once your complimentary runs out.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Love the garage door opener. And since OP lives in a cold place like Boston, remote start is an awesome feature to have.

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
No, the remote start through the app.
That's what I thought. The remote start that is part of the convenience pkg doesn't require a subscription

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Thanks - do any of you have the convenience group, and is it useful to you?
I have it and quite like it. Granted I have a garage - the built in garage remote seem more powerful than the portable one that came with the opener so it works further away. Remote start is also nice - gets quite warm where I live so using the battery on the 4xe to cool the jeep is nice.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Remote start is great and if you are too low on fuel, will not engage until you add more fuel. Heat index was 105 yesterday at my trials club's event. I was spent and using the remote start had the Jeep nice and cool. Worth it!

The garage remote is better than my previous Jeeps and GMC trucks. I can hit the button nearly a block a way and the door is up by the time I pull in. Best of all, the ignition switch has to be ON for the remote to work. Pull up in the driveway, turn the Jeep off then try the opener and no bueno. Key must be on. Great safety feature!

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
As others have pointed out, the remote start is great in all seasons. Jeep as significantly improved the range in the remote start from the JKs. We would have to be within 5 ft of the Jeep for the remote start to work on our JKU & the dealership said that was normal 🙄 On my wife's '20 GC we can hit the button from the back of Home Depot & the car will be cool by the time we get in.

The universal garage door opener depends a lot on your brand of door opener (even though you don't have a garage now). Sometimes my wife's GC will open our driveway gate & garages, sometimes it won't - it's really hit or miss. We have to carry the actual remotes for both the gate & garages in her vehicle, which defeats the purpose. I don't have that issue with the Homelink transmitters in any of our other vehicles.

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I like startling my next door neighbors, who are ALWAYS loitering in their driveway or on their porch, with the remote start when I’m leaving.

My nervy neighbors are unnerved by not having the traditional sequence of events (driver approaches vehicle, unlocks/opens door, sits down, closes door, seat belt, starts engine) happen. They have, obviously, expressed it to me.

It sends the clear message that I’m heading out and don’t have time for inane gossip. The engine is running, gotta go! Bye

And since it’s a diesel, even if the woman insists on engaging a back and forth with my wife, the engine noise is too distracting for the conversation to last more than a few seconds. Very satisfying.

Even in my temperate climate, it’s really nice having the AC blasting and circulating the cabin air before entry on warmer days.

The air blowing in my ears also drowns out the bubble headed babble from my neighbors which instinctively puts a strained look on my face which is exactly the kind of non verbal message I want to send.

All in all, you’re probably going to find useful applications to remote starting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Be aware that the remote start function is only free for the first year. It is part of the UConnect Remote Services package and will cost ~$150 a year after the first year.
No. It's free to start from your keyfob for the life of the vehicle.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Buying off the lot next week - dealer has a jeep that has everything I want, but has the convenience group included.

The convenience group is just the garage door opener + remote start, correct? I'm assuming the answer is no, but can I ask them to remove the convenience group and lower the price? I do not have a garage and remote starting doesn't seem to have much appeal to me.
They won't take it off, but you could possibly have them discount.

However, it is added security if you have a garage to have an integrated garage door opener. It is not active unless running, so no smash and opens.

Remote start is a God send that I can't live without on 95 degree 100% humidity days in coastal SC.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

There is a subscription to Remote start with phone, as well as lock and unlock, but it is always free from your fob.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
I like the garage door opener option. I have one programmed for the house and one for the motorized gate at work. Better than keeping multiple door openers clipped to the visor. I do like the remote start. But always forget to use it.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
not a jeep dealer, but I was called a "grinder" by a ford dealer when I tried to get them to reprice based on an add-on that wasn't agreed upon. Apparently that is a known industry term. I'm a grinder.
😅 I’ve been called worse than that at some dealers.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks - do any of you have the convenience group, and is it useful to you?
I don't have a garage, but I have the gate for my Father-in-law's community programmed into the opener on the Jeep. Pretty useful.
Sponsored