Sponsored

Buying Mopar lift from dealership - correct part and price?

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Would you mind explaining how anyone suggesting a spacer lift is a moron?

Also what are your thoughts on what the Mopar lift does to correct front axle geometry due to the lift?
My thoughts on spacers as a fully functional lift solution are simply that they don't fit the bill. If you want the look but don't care about the suspension function then by all means use spacers.

The Mopar lift kit, as already mentioned above, includes longer control arms to keep the steering geometry within factory spec.

I agree with the rubicon suspension being a better choice to run 33 inch tires. But I am not sure what you mean by "full factory warranty". I have a Rubicon suspension, if my rubicon spring fails prematurely, or so do my shocks, it isnt covered under warranty because the rubicon suspension was designed for the rubicon, not for the sport and it counts as a mod. The rest of my warranty stays intact. If I was to instead, install an aftermarket lift kit, the outcome would be the same. Any part of my lift kit gets damaged, the factory warranty wont cover it. Anything outside would be covered.
I have to agree that a Rubi take off suspension on a Sport would very likely not be covered under the warranty, however, the Mopar 2" kit is covered by warranty, provided it is installed by the dealer.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My thoughts on spacers as a fully functional lift solution are simply that they don't fit the bill. If you want the look but don't care about the suspension function then by all means use spacers.
I get this. but calling anyone who recommend spacers a moron is a bit of a stretch.

Spacers are perfect for dialing in your spension if you need an extra inch or two, or if you need to recover some lost height. You get what you want, and it is not a guessing game.

Spacers are about function, not just about look. For example, 1~1.5 inch spacers would allow you to fit 35s on a Rubicon easily, and give you the extra bit of belly clearance. Add in longer travel shocks and you get better articulation, netting you probably more articulation that you would get with the Mopar lift and lower COG for a better price.

There are members on this forum taking it even further, spacer lift on stock rubi springs, 37inch tires, long travel shocks and suspension arms. They get more juice out of their suspension for less money.

The mopar lift is worth what it costs. It is not a bad lift. And if looking to add more than an inch or so of lift, I agree it is a better option than a spacer lift. But calling spacers a moronic approach to lifting a Jeep is not accurate.

The mopar lift also doesn't include a track bar. But this can easily be added to the lift for those who see the need to correct the centering of the axle. There are lift kits out there that include a trackbar and used to be much cheaper than the Mopar lift when it came out. The mopar lift is now cheaper than it was before. But people keep repeating that it is a waste of money because the old price stuck in their head. It isn't a waste of money.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
... the Mopar 2" kit is covered by warranty, provided it is installed by the dealer.
For the nth time: honoring the warranty is at the total discretion of the individual dealer. We might not like it one bit, but that’s how it is in practice. If we want our warranty honored, the best thing is to find ourselves a “good” dealer, as difficult as that is.

The same goes about buying Mopar parts under the expectation that that in itself provides any guarantees. It does not. It did years ago, but it doesn’t any more.

Sure, if the dealer voids the warranty, we are free to open up a case with JeepCares to see if FCA cares. Judging by the thousands of posts on this forum, nine times out of ten, FCA doesn’t give one hoot.

It all comes back to the dealer: if you got a good dealer, go at it. But if you know your dealer is a dick, I wouldn't be taking any chances with mods; Mopar or otherwise.

I certainly wouldn’t give him any of my hard earned money.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I had this all typed up a few hours ago and got side-tracked.

Man, I don't want to be held responsible for your decision, but if it were me I'd buy Old Man Emu springs and shocks. I like their quality. I'd start there. If you want the whole kit, which you probably do, it's part number JL2DLK and available for $1500

I think you
and I could install the springs and shocks in an afternoon/morning.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
your dealer is trying to sell you parts for another vehicle? i'd be done talking to him at that point.
and the idea that he's giving you a deal at what is current MSRP is BS.

consider also that the Mopar lift is infamous for lifting higher than rated, so you need to also figure in that you're going to want Track Bars (front and rear) to try to get your axles back underneath the vehicle, and then Track Bar Relocation Brackets to get the Track Bars parallel with the Drag Link again, so be sure to add that into your expected total costs.

I spoke to my dealer about the 2" Mopar lift with shocks and coils for my 2019 JL 2 dr. So he has a 4dr instock that he said is the same (if you remove the 4dr specific stuff) that he'll sell at 2 dr price at around $1,500, $600 for labor....so please help line me out on this, it sounded right and price seems in line with what I've looked at in the catalogs etc...thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Guys, the days when buying Mopar parts gave an assurance that your warranty wouldn’t be voided, and when dealers honored warranties no-questions-asked, are long gone.

Under FCA, servicing Mopar parts and honoring the warranty have become the Wild West. Dealers are allowed to whatever they want, and FCA won’t lift a finger.
Seriously appreciate every ones input, My learning curve is pretty steep but I'm trainable, lol.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yet, when my diesel ate its High Pressure Fuel Pump at 4100 miles, the dealer replaced the entire fuel system, no questions asked. yes, it took them too long to get all the parts, but there was very little hassle involved, and FCA even picked up my (admittedly small) payments while i had to wait for parts.

i know it doesn't always go this way, but clearly, not everyone has the Gloom and Doom experience you seem to be portraying.

Guys, the days when buying Mopar parts gave an assurance that your warranty wouldn’t be voided, and when dealers honored warranties no-questions-asked, are long gone.

Under FCA, servicing Mopar parts and honoring the warranty have become the Wild West. Dealers are allowed to whatever they want, and FCA won’t lift a finger.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
nope; as someone already pointed out, the kits include completely different spring sets.
see attached.

Regarding the difference, he was under the impression (confident) that the difference was only the part number/s so they can keep track of 2 and 4 door sales, to your thought. Thanks all

Attachments

Reactions: NBB

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
your dealer is trying to sell you parts for another vehicle?
…and making things up too. Seems the spring rates would be higher for 4 dr, so all the blah blah blah this thread devolved into about lift heights would be made worse. As noted above, the part numbers are all different for a reason, no company anywhere is going to add multiple part numbers to the same part, so many levels of wrong.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'm guessing this is the dealership down the road from you, Hwy 62?

If that's the case, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw a JLR. I wouldn't buy anything there if everything was priced at $0.05 and they were have a half-off sale. If I was standing under a cold black cloud, getting soaking wet, and one of their salesmen told me it was raining, I wouldn't believe it.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

If that's the case, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw a JLR. I wouldn't buy anything there if everything was priced at $0.05 and they were have a half-off sale. If I was standing under a cold black cloud, getting soaking wet, and one of their salesmen told me it was raining, I wouldn't believe it.
exactly right, and I agree; That's how I ended up here, ask and learn...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
yet, when my diesel ate its High Pressure Fuel Pump at 4100 miles, the dealer replaced the entire fuel system, no questions asked. yes, it took them too long to get all the parts, but there was very little hassle involved, and FCA even picked up my (admittedly small) payments while i had to wait for parts.

i know it doesn't always go this way, but clearly, not everyone has the Gloom and Doom experience you seem to be portraying.
Consider yourself lucky. Next time it may not be so easy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I don't know that particular dealer, but I agree. It seems a bit strange that the dealer is offering to sell --and install-- a lift clearly labeled for a different Wrangler model. Even if the lift fits and all, most dealers are scared to recommend the wrong part; they all about CYA these days

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'll also drop in to say that instead of giving the dealer $600 to install it, you'd be better served now and in the future to go spend that $600 on a good set of tools and learn how to do it yourself.
  • Jack stands and a floor jack
  • Good set of wrenches/sockets
  • An impact wrench and some key impact sockets
  • Some mechanix gloves and/or a bottle of The Orange Soap
  • A torque wrench
Literally that and access to YouTube and half a brain are all you really need. Don't be scared of your vehicle - there's no magic or rocket science to it. Just knowing what to unscrew and remember to screw it back properly.

Find your local Jeep club and you're sure to find someone who's willing to help you in exchange for a six pack.
Sponsored