Buying Experience (not so good)

Dscott326

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy’s
Negotiated a deal on a new Sting Gray Rubi during the week, while I was out of town. Flew back in yesterday afternoon and went straight To the dealer. Spent an hour waiting for Finance Manager to finish paperwork. As part of the deal, they were trading the wheels that I had on the willys for the new rubi wheels, since I preferred my willys wheels. Service was doing this as I waited for paper work. Finally get in to the finance manager and after signing ALL the documents, except for the contract he tells me they discovered earlier in the day that the sales manager made a mistake with the taxes on the deal they originally agreed to and that I would be paying $3,015 more. I blew up, told them I can’t believe this wasn’t communicated until after I sat there for over an hour and then signed almost all the documents. BTW, this is a dealer that I‘ve bought 3 Jeep’s from in 18 months. After threatening to leave another manager got involved and they ended up eating the $3k. After another 30 minutes to change paper work I go out to my new Rubi and it has my willys wheels as per the deal, but they put on my old tires with 27k miles, which was not part of deal. Of course, by then the service department was closed so I have to go back this AM to get the new tires put back on. But wait, it’s not done. When I relooked at some of the paper work last night, I realized they screwed some of it up and they have the wrong year listed on the temp title and some other documents, so I also get to spend more time doing documents while I wait for the tires. I just had to vent somewhere. Thanks For listening.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
That sucks. At least they fixed the error or I would have walked as well. I hate all the games. Do what you say you are going to do, plain and simple. Stop all the nickel and dime BS at the last minute. Most dealers suck. Very hard to find any good ones any longer.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry to hear about your experience. When I first saw your thread, I was thinking it was about one of our local jeep dealers in Southern California. They advertise themselves as the #1 dealership in the national, but that could only be true if we lived in an alternative universe. They are the worst!

OP
OP

Dscott326

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy’s
That sucks. At least they fixed the error or I would have walked as well. I hate all the games. Do what you say you are going to do, plain and simple. Stop all the nickel and dime BS at the last minute. Most dealers suck. Very hard to find any good ones any longer.
I do think it was an honest error, I blew up over the lack of communication. At least I have the Rubi as per deal negotiated and they are changing tires now and redoing paperwork to correct the year.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I do think it was an honest error, I blew up over the lack of communication. At least I have the Rubi as per deal negotiated and they are changing tires now and redoing paperwork to correct the year.
I agree. I'm afraid honest dealers are rare breed anymore. Glad to hear you are getting it straightened out.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a typical incompetent Jeep dealer.

IMO, it is difficult to be understanding of an honest mistake after they keep you waiting for hours and try to swindle you over $3,000.

To me, the most incomprehensible part is that they would try to pull that off on a customer who just purcahsed 3 vehicles in 18 months.

FWIW: I completely remove my Jeep dealer out of the equation when it comes to tires; I deal with Discount Tire. They treat me well every time and, unlike my Jeep dealer, seem genuinely happy to see me.

Hope you get things resolved.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Would you mind explaining the 3K problem they “found”

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
I'd be pissed too, but as long as they make it all right, all good.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I just got my 2021 Rubicon on Feb. 26th that I ordered on Jan. 30th at Tri-Lakes Jeep in Branson, Missouri. The dealer and I agreed to a price and they gave me a trade-in value for my F150 then and there (as long as I didn't put more than 1000 miles on it while waiting for Jeep). They only came down $4000 on the price of Jeep, but they gave me a great trade-in value for my truck to make up for it.

Here is why I would recommend Tri-Lakes: We agreed to a trade difference of $27,000 (I owned truck free and clear) when I ordered the Jeep. I gave them a $500 deposit check at time of order, leaving a balance of $26,500. When I picked up the Jeep, the finance guy told me about the options for an extended warranty, but didn't pressure me any when I declined. So what was my final loan amount for? $26,506

They charge a $6 title fee and no document fee. They do not charge a document fee, and when I asked salesperson about it he said it is a part of selling cars and when they agree to a price that is THE price (I already knew about $6 fee). Since I live in Arkansas, I pay the taxes and tags at my local Revenue Office, so I don't know how they are about correctly computing those.

Sponsored

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
Well, you can't avoid the taxes, but they screwed up. It looks like you got a decent deal regardless, but had to endure a bit of pain. Then the tires (someone did not communicate very well). What I have found with some dealers is that they put "adds on" which jacks the price up anywhere from $5-10K. They advertise MSRP on the Internet and tell you that's the cost, then when you get there, you can't avoid the "adds". Stuff like an aftermarket radio, wheel locks, undercoating treatment... high margin stuff. I got mine from a small dealer outside of Nashville. Honest, fair, low documentation fees, and great to work with.

I am sure your dealer values you, otherwise you would not have received the deal that you did. Ask for some sort of accommodation. Discounts on parts? Free rotation and balancing?

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it’s only an honest mistake when the dealer does it but if it was you it would be fraud!

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Always. And I mean ALWAYS! Make sure your dealership is near a bar so you got a place e to hang out while they're "talking to the manager".

OP
OP

Dscott326

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy’s
Would you mind explaining the 3K problem they “found”
Yes, I’m told that when the sales manager gave me my numbers on trade, their discount and my bottom number instead of me paying 1,500 in tax he credited me 1,500 making it a 3k swing. The deal was agreed to on Wednesday, they discovered error Friday AM and did not tell me until Friday evening after I signed most of the documents. There was no way I was paying 3k more than they told me on Wednesday and they finally agreed to eat it

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Do what many dealers do in this case: give them a key chain and call it even.... :LOL:
Sponsored