Sponsored

Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for?

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The twill option is the best quality option. You'll know it is twill if it looks more like fabric than plastic. I would be hesitant to by the black diamond used, if over a few years old.

Look for signs of wear in the folding sections. I'd be wary of any discoloration in those spots.

Definitely make sure you have all the hardware. Check out the photo and instructions attached.

On a side note, the top can get squeaky. I've been worried that torqueing bolts behind the driver and passenger too much could break the clamp. I just get them good and snug, and I used squeak tape on any top-on-plastic ad connections. Keeps it quiet.

Parts.JPG
This sheet is super helpful, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
On a side note, the top can get squeaky. I've been worried that torqueing bolts behind the driver and passenger too much could break the clamp. I just get them good and snug, and I used squeak tape on any top-on-plastic ad connections. Keeps it quiet.
I could really use this. What squeak tape did you use and where exactly did you have to place it? Thanks in advance.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I could really use this. What squeak tape did you use and where exactly did you have to place it? Thanks in advance.
This is what I bought from Amazon.

I'll snag a photo of where I taped it. I have the freedom panels in to keep the cab a little cooler during the Charleston summer, so it'll be a clean photo.

I also used the squeak tape on top of the tailgate so my hardtop window would stop creaking too. It has to be 100% clean or that thing gets noisy. With the tape, there is no creaking at all.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for? Squeak Tape.JPG

Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
This sheet is super helpful, thanks for sharing!
I will mention that my velcro strips are almost never (ok, never) used, although I probably should...

Additionally, the nuts will come with it, but I found mine actually didn't need them, as they were built into the door top assembly. Was a nice surprise.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I will mention that my velcro strips are almost never (ok, never) used, although I probably should...

Additionally, the nuts will come with it, but I found mine actually didn't need them, as they were built into the door top assembly. Was a nice surprise.
Yeah I think I have used my velcro maybe once...

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Follow up - a few delays as the seller got sick but the more I've marinated over the idea of not getting any warranty from Bestop (thanks @Rhinebeck01 for highlighting), I've decided to just go new.

$500 (she dropped $50 off since she had to delay) now but with no warranty whatsoever vs $900 and knowing it's covered for life is a rough call. I'd already budgeted the full cost though so feel better getting it with warranty.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Follow up - a few delays as the seller got sick but the more I've marinated over the idea of not getting any warranty from Bestop (thanks @Rhinebeck01 for highlighting), I've decided to just go new.

$500 (she dropped $50 off since she had to delay) now but with no warranty whatsoever vs $900 and knowing it's covered for life is a rough call. I'd already budgeted the full cost though so feel better getting it with warranty.
@rcadden

Only way I would consider buying even a used/mint Bestop Sunrider is if it was being sold for $400 or below... at $400 it would be worth the gamble so to speak....

Guys that buy the Mopar Sunrider for a JL Hardtop they have home, (rebranded Bestop SR) are in my opinion making a mistake.

For a few $ more you buy the Bestop TWILL with a lifetime warranty..... the Mopar offering warranty is only for a year.....

---on the Sunrider the z-clip, if it is going to fail/break (and they do on occasion) is usually just about after 2 years old use it seems..

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
"New in Box ", unopened, from someone that bought Jeep with that option, and doesn't want it.
Doesn't have Bestop warranty, but if you get it for hundreds off , that is a good value. That's how I got mine.
Good point on people selling a Sunrider that was warrantied out, and not returned to Bestop.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I picked up a nearly new Bestop Sunrider in Twill from a local forum member this past weekend. It looks like it was a newer/revised version since it had the captive hexnuts. No problems with the Z-clips on mine, but they were a bit of a pain to get in.

I paid $800 Canadian for it and think I got a good deal because new, the Twill version is going for about $1200 Canadian + tax (13%) and shipping up here in the Great White North.

The seller was super cool and made sure all the bolts, washers and spacers were bagged up and the Sunrider was cleaned up for me before I got there.

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
I picked up a nearly new Bestop Sunrider in Twill from a local forum member this past weekend. It looks like it was a newer/revised version since it had the captive hexnuts. No problems with the Z-clips on mine, but they were a bit of a pain to get in.

When did they start using the captive hex nuts to eliminate the issues? Picking up a used sunder next week from another forum member and would like to know if this unit has the fix. Can you share a picture of the new design with the captive hex nut to use for comparison?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
When did they start using the captive hex nuts to eliminate the issues? Picking up a used sunder next week from another forum member and would like to know if this unit has the fix. Can you share a picture of the new design with the captive hex nut to use for comparison?

Not sure when Bestop started using the captive hexnuts, but the guy I bought mine from said he had it for one summer.

Just popped into the garage to take a pick of the hexnut/captive nut. Hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for? IMG_20220620_124702

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PntBlnk

Captive nuts are not a "fix".

The SR's that first shipped did not have captive nuts .... and months and months after the first SR's shipped they went to the captive nuts... To have or not have captive nuts on the SR is no big deal.

Anyway, don't worry about a SR without captive nuts, worry about the z-clips... Br sure they are intact and there is no cable fraying on the cable near the z-clips.
Sponsored