Sponsored

Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not sure when Bestop started using the captive hexnuts, but the guy I bought mine from said he had it for one summer.

Just popped into the garage to take a pick of the hexnut/captive nut. Hope this helps.

IMG_20220620_124702.jpg
I have custom covers for each of those bolts sticking up through the captive nuts.. Cleans up the look. A forum guy 3D printed the unique covers..
Sponsored

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
@Rhinebeck01 Can you post a picture of what a proper Z-Clip should look like per the above. I haven't seen a Sunrider other than the BT website or whats on the forum and candidly not sure what I am looking for. Thnx

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PntBlnk

See pic... Finger pointing to the z-clip.

The z-clip will be going into the hole that the green arrow points to.

One z-clip on each side of the SR, right above the Bestop logo badge.

Be sure an intact z-clip on each side of SR. Look for fraying on the cable where the z-clip attaches.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for? 9900

Sponsored

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
@PntBlnk

See pic... Finger pointing to the z-clip.

The z-clip will be going into the hole that the green arrow points to.

One z-clip on each side of the SR, right above the Bestop logo badge.

Be sure an intact z-clip on each side of SR. Look for fraying on the cable where the z-clip attaches.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for? IMG_20220620_124702
exactly what I needed. Thank You!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Re-posting this.... as over the last couple of days... of weeks, I have been seeing a few used Sunrider's for sale here on the the JL forum, the JT Forum, on Craigslist on FaceBook Market place and elsewhere....

Buyer Beware ....

Be very very careful buying that used Bestop Sunrider for JL / JT.

You do not want to buy one that has a broken Z-Clip. Broken z-clip will see you having increased wind noise, water intrusion, fabric top not laying right ...

Someone mentioned you could do a repair... even showed a video. LOL... Anyway, don't even think about it..

SO, if you do not see a Z-Clip, firmly attached on each side of the main cable, and or fraying of the cable. close to the z-clip do not buy.

When Bestop replaces a SR under warranty, 99% of the time they do not ask for it back... with that said guys/gals are selling their used problematic Sunriders after they get their replacement SR from Bestop.

By the way, Bestop does not warranty, SR'ers you buy used.

@FalKor JLU

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I sold 2 used SRs, one from my JK and one from my JL, I have told the buyers to show up with their FPs off, I come out with the SR, and just put it on for them, show them what needs to screw in, they drive away, I tell them if they have any issues within half an hour bring it back.

Aside from what others have said to check....ensure it's clean and not discolored, unless you do not mind that.

Show up during sunlight, with your Freedom Panels off, and install the SR on the spot, stand above and visually inspect, open and close a few times.

A fully assembled SR only takes a few minutes to install. Buying used means it should already be fully installed, if it isn't that would be strange.

You do not need any mechanical tools, lightly hand tighten the bolts, they are just there to ensure that the thing doesn't blow off.

This way you can ensure nothing is bent etc, and it actually opens and closes, sealed properly when closed.

If purchased, you want to lightly brush it down, and apply 303 fabric protectant ASAP.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
As its original owner out of warranty, if a Sunrider's Z clips break, as at least one of mine has, given that the aforementioned DIY remedy is suspect, what's the play?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

As its original owner out of warranty, if a Sunrider's Z clips break, as at least one of mine has, given that the aforementioned DIY remedy is suspect, what's the play?
Contact Bestop and see what they will do for you.

Sponsored

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Z Clip
i would buy new and get the lifetime warranty on everything
worth it

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
This is $550 for the Black Twill, she purchased in May but got rid of her Jeep since then. With tax/shipping, I wasn't able to find a way to get a Sunrider for less than $900, so some pretty significant savings.

These posts have been helpful for me to know what to look for/inspect prior to payment.
I bought mine on Amazon last Black Friday. Bestop was offering a $100 rebate, Amazon had it on sale as well. And I used my Amazon/Chase credit card that gave me another 5% back so mine ended up costing me about $650. If you can wait a couple more months, you might be able to save a bunch.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I bought mine on Amazon last Black Friday. Bestop was offering a $100 rebate, Amazon had it on sale as well. And I used my Amazon/Chase credit card that gave me another 5% back so mine ended up costing me about $650. If you can wait a couple more months, you might be able to save a bunch.
Man this is an old thread - bought mine on Amazon last year and it is hands-down my favorite mod yet.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
FWIW I took the fix done here with a bicycle wire and created an easier to install (on the Black Diamond) and adjust z clip version.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-adjust.73346/page-2

I took it in a little different direction and tried to recreate the z clip.
I used a pop rivet.

20221203_090315.jpg

I made a couple, getting better at it and ending up with one that was almost identical to the original size and bends.

The black diamond top is probably stiffer than the twill and getting enough of the old wire out to go through the connector was very difficult.
I could never have done the bicycle wire fix on mine.

Once together, it's really easy to adjust as the forward most screw holds the original wire and never needs to be touched.
The aft most screw can be loosened and move the z clip in or out to get the tension that you want.
I errored on the loose side, then made it tighter.

20221203_095457.jpg

20221203_095741.jpg

20221203_095752.jpg