Sponsored

Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Buying a used Sunrider from a local Jeep club member tonight. Anything specific I should be looking for in terms of parts, wear-and-tear, red flags, etc?
Sponsored

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I purchased a new Twill Sunrider and a month or two into ownership, I torqued the rear driver's side screw too tight and it broke the plastic housing you place the nut into that holds the nut in place. I contacted Bestop and they sent me a brand new replacement. My point is that it's very easy to do on either side so I would check and make sure the prior owner hadn't done it and just glued the plastic back together to cover it up. Also, once you get one, be careful on how tight you screw that bolt in as there is a lot of plastic to consider.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rcadden

Be very very careful buying a used Bestop Sunrider for JL.

You do not want to buy one that has a broken Z-Clip.

SO, if you do not see a Z-Clip, firmly attached on each side of the main cable, and or fraying of the cable. do not buy.

When Bestop replaces a SR under warranty, 99% of the time they do not ask for it back... with that said guys/gals are selling as used the problematic Sunriders.

YES, a Z clip can be jury rig fixed but it is a chore and well, not a way you really want to go.

By the way, Bestop does not warranty, SR'ers you buy used..

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@rcadden

SO, if you do not see a Z-Clip, firmly attached on each side of the main cable, and or fraying of the cable. do not buy.

When Bestop replaces a SR under warranty, 99% of the time they do not ask for it back... with that said guys/gals are selling as used the problematic Sunriders.

YES, a Z clip can be jury rig fixed but it is a chore and well, not a way you really want to go.

Bestop offers no warranty on SR'ers you buy used..
Good to know. I feel pretty good about this, given that it's from a member of our local jeep club, but definitely something to look for.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
@rcadden

Bestop offers no warranty on SR'ers you buy used..
Yes very true. I could easily have sold my Sunrider after I broke the bolt plastic and glued it. I decided to keep it for possible parts or in case I get another JL in the future.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I feel pretty good about this, given that it's from a member of our local jeep club, but definitely something to look for.
@rcadden

Yeah.... sure .....don't trust anyone. Look the thing over closely...

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
@rcadden

By the way, Bestop does not warranty, SR'ers you buy used..
Thx for the great info. Really considering purchasing. Couldn’t help but notice, how many used ones are available. After reading this, Might just stick to a new one, after all.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes very true. I could easily have sold my Sunrider after I broke the bolt plastic and glued it. I decided to keep it for possible parts or in case I get another JL in the future.
@Bri_BKT
@rcadden
@dshark1

I sold the one I had with a broken Z-Clip. It was mint otherwise... I was upfront about the damage to the buyer. He still wanted it. I sold it for $400 if I remember correctly..

By the way, Z-clips breaking off the cable can happen but fortunately not that often... I do know a few that have had the Z-clip break off.

IF, I were only be going to save a hundred or 2 dollars buying a used SR, I would pass on it and buy one with the very very good warranty that Bestop offers with the TWILL, SR.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Buying a used Sunrider from a local Jeep club member tonight. Anything specific I should be looking for in terms of parts, wear-and-tear, red flags, etc?
Make sure you get all the bolts, spacers and roll bar bracket.

There should be 2 short bolts for the roll bar bracket. 4 short bolts (2 on each side) that mount the top to the door surrounds. 4 long bolts and 2 spacers that connect the door surrounds to the roll bar.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you get all the bolts, spacers and roll bar bracket.

There should be 2 short bolts for the roll bar bracket. 4 short bolts (2 on each side) that mount the top to the door surrounds. 4 long bolts and 2 spacers that connect the door surrounds to the roll bar.
Early ... the first bunch lets say ... of Bestop Sunrider's were shipped with a nuts that were necessary for the install. Then Bestop started assembling the SR with captive nutserts so the nuts were no longer needed or shipped with the SR.

Do check that you have all the hardware to do the install.... if no nuts, look for the nutserts that reside on the SR. 8-)

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Early ... the first bunch lets say ... of Bestop Sunrider's were shipped with a nuts that were necessary for the install.
Yup. Forgot about those. Mine has them.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
This actually raises a crucial point: If you order the Sunrider from the factory, I assume you get the usual 3-year warranty on it.

If you order from Bestop (or one of their distributors), it looks like you get a lifetime warranty.

Innnnnnteresting...

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

IF, I were only be going to save a hundred or 2 dollars buying a used SR, I would pass on it and buy one with the very very good warranty that Bestop offers with the TWILL, SR.
This is $550 for the Black Twill, she purchased in May but got rid of her Jeep since then. With tax/shipping, I wasn't able to find a way to get a Sunrider for less than $900, so some pretty significant savings.

These posts have been helpful for me to know what to look for/inspect prior to payment.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This actually raises a crucial point: If you order the Sunrider from the factory, I assume you get the usual 3-year warranty on it.

If you order from Bestop (or one of their distributors), it looks like you get a lifetime warranty.

Innnnnnteresting...
Correct. It's the same as with a full soft top. Bestop manufactures them for Jeep/Mopar, but if you get one with the vehicle it is only covered by the factory warranty.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
The twill option is the best quality option. You'll know it is twill if it looks more like fabric than plastic. I would be hesitant to buy the black diamond used, if over a few years old.

Look for signs of wear in the folding sections. I'd be wary of any discoloration in those spots.

Definitely make sure you have all the hardware. Check out the photo and instructions attached.

On a side note, the top can get squeaky. I've been worried that torqueing bolts behind the driver and passenger too much could break the clamp. I just get them good and snug, and I used squeak tape on any top-on-plastic connections. Keeps it quiet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a used Sunrider tonight - what should I be looking for? Parts.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: