Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I would order a new Recon, add a winch and be done with it.
I'm pretty happy in my '21 Sahara, but if I were buying one today, this is 100% what I would be doing. Well, a winch+sunrider, but yeah.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
Thank you everyone for your opinions. Made it to Reno, just waiting to meet up now. I'll report back later.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I see the appeal of getting a Jeep that is already modded and ready to hit the trails - and this one seems to have been built right (which is rare frankly).

But I would not own any JL's outside of factory or Mopar extended warranty.

Also, we now have the XR, which is the right platform to build upon for those of use who will actually offroad.

If you buy an XR with the steel bumpers, add a $600 X20 winch you are ready for most trails.

Over time add lift and bigger tires if you feel the need. No way you need to spend $10K-$15K to build a JL.

This JL is way overbuilt for most uses.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
For a potentially 4+ year old vehicle (if it was an early 2019 built in 2018), definitely would get a VIN and spend the money for a Carfax report before even taking the time to travel to see it.

Seems like you're handy enough to deal with all of the normal wear and tear stuff, so the vehicle history is about the only hangup I'd have if I were in your shoes.

Guess it comes down to if you want "instant play" vs building up a vehicle on your own over time.

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
I just got done looking and driving the jeep. It was as advertised, super clean with no evidence of being offroad or rock crawling. Only disappointment it needs tires soon. It drove really nice. Bald Patagonia's are really loud though! Car fax is clean, except he is the third owner, can't say I like that. At this time he is not willing to move on the price at all. You guys cooled my jets, thanks. I'm going to sleep on it but I'm probably better to order new and build it slow to my liking.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I just got done looking and driving the jeep. It was as advertised, super clean with no evidence of being offroad or rock crawling. Only disappointment it needs tires soon. It drove really nice. Bald Patagonia's are really loud though! Car fax is clean, except he is the third owner, can't say I like that. At this time he is not willing to move on the price at all. You guys cooled my jets, thanks. I'm going to sleep on it but I'm probably better to order new and build it slow to my liking.
Wise decision. When you buy someone else’s “built” Jeep it is, at best, a crap shoot. Were quality components used?, were they installed correctly? Exactly why were they installed ( mall crawler for the look OR beaten like a rented mule. Also, 3 owners and low miles? That screams “problem”. If it was great, it would not have went through three owners. Buy the new one.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Also, 3 owners and low miles?
That screams “problem”.
+1.

History matters, and that little statistic doesn't pass the sniff test. Not mine, anyway.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
There is always the option of building a used sport... i sold my rubi and bought a well optioned sport w/28k miles for 32k. 1 owner. I sold the hard top for 1,500, installed a soft top for $500. Rubi fenders, steel bumper, and mopar performance rails for $800. Metalcloak 2.5" lift. Used set of mopar performance wheels for $100. Cavfab carrier $700. Apex disconnects $450. Rubi take off axles for $3,500 w/ 4.88s, chromoly shafts, yeti steering. Front driveshaft $300 (amazon deal on yukon shaft). Trussed for $250 plus a case of beer. Used patagonia 38s for $600 (terrible tires, will replace with 39" ko2 soon)

Next mod will be rustys skid system which should put me at 41k all in. And a lot more capable than a 60k xr rubicon.

I had to spend a lot of time looking at marketplace and doing all of my own work, but I have enjoyed it so far.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Car fax is clean, except he is the third owner, can't say I like that. At this time he is not willing to move on the price at all. You guys cooled my jets, thanks. I'm going to sleep on it but I'm probably better to order new and build it slow to my liking.
Yeah, RUN don't walk. Personally I would be out with two previous owners but THREE?

NFW ... that stands for "NO WAY." There is no scenario I would accept where that is okay on that new and "unused" a vehicle. There are some serious skeletons buried (evidentially very deep) in that closet.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
KBB private party very good condition is $50,871. Dealer trade in is $48,133. I understand extras don't increase the value. If you put 5k into a vehicle don't expect to get that out of it. That being said if you put 20k into a vehicle I can see it being worth 5k over blue book.
Also be aware: When you're buying someone else's project/ Modded vehicle, you're also buying their problems, and as you're familiar with off roading already, you know- there are a lot of people who use the cheapest shit they can find in critical areas (like suspension, tires, etc) so they can spend money elsehwere (fancy rims, lightbars, angry grilles).
That said: That looks like a solidly built rig. Outside my own preferences I can't find any faults. Components all seem quality, have had decent reviews on this forum to my knowledge. This is the kind of deal I was looking for when I started looking at used Jeeps in 2018, but couldn't find any decent ones for sale in my area.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I know the Pats wear quick, but you'd think they'd have less than 20k on them.

Did you happen to see the date stamp? While the current owner didn't TOAD, I wonder if it was by a prior owner.

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
I didn't look for a date stamp, it wasn't setup for flat tow far as I could tell. As far as history per the current owner and car fax. Original owner sold to #2 owner family friend who worked for Treaflex. It was 1 year old with 3500 miles. #2 did all the mods, drove it for 10 months, that shows 12k miles. #3 current owner bought it 16 months ago at 17k miles. Yesterday it was a few hundred shy of 20k.

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
I'm headed home without a jeep. If it doesn't sell we will see if he adjusts the price. I did really enjoy driving it, a JL on 37s puts a smile on my face! Amazing power for 37s with 4.10s. The dash read 13.5 mpg yikes, I'm guessing that's all city driving.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
It has to many off-road modifications to be considered a daily driver. Off-road tires and components wear a lot quicker.

Are you planning on daily driving?
Are you planning on off-roading every weekend?

Those two questions should answer it for you.

KevinC

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Don’t get the 1995 CC’s / 2.0 Motorcycle engine or the discontinued diesel or fireball manual transmission and you’ll be fine.
V6 automatic for the win đź‘Ť
Sponsored