Sponsored

Buying a specific vehicle but unsure about dealer

Tephlon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon I4 eTorque, 2012 JGC Overland Summit 5.7 V8 HEMI
I'm looking at a 2020 JLUR Recon on a lot in Kansas City (window sticker attached). It's listed as having 2 miles on the jeep, which while not super important I thought was incredible.
They list it at $48,815, which although I've had trouble finding invoicing info on the Recon package, I think puts the price about 5.5% under invoice, which sounded like the best you could hope for for a non-special-order JLU sitting on a dealer lot.

They have a reasonable doc fee ($199), but after talking to them for a minute he told me that this vehicle is being used as a dealer demo, and just wanted me to know that. I said, oh, well it lists the vehicle as having 2 miles on it, I guess that's way off now. He said, "well, its the sales manager who's been driving it, it's been taken care of." When I asked how many miles are on it now, he said "not many, its basically like an extended test drive". When I pushed him for the number he said he'd have to look.
Then he told me the best they could do is 51,815, because "I don't qualify for many of the discounts".

51,815 is invoice best I can calculate.

When I asked them what are the sort of discounts that get you to their listed price, they started naming all kinds of stuff.
I'd basically have to be a 20yr retired military veteran realtor MD with a AAA membership... which is freaking absurd. So then I told him I qualify for the FCA affiliate discount (treadlightly), but he insisted that it was still the best he could do. I didn't know how to argue with him on the invoice price since I didn't feel confident being able to verify anything he said, but he didn't sound like it mattered to him at all that I should qualify for the vehicle at 1% under invoice at a minimum.

I would order a Recon with Koons or the like if they were still accepting 2020 orders, and there isn't a Recon option for 2021.

The Recon on this lot is basically exactly what we would've ordered and I can't find another one like it basically anywhere, but my wife is ok with waiting for hopefully the reintroduction of the Recon in 2022, but there's no guarantee it will come back or that she will like it as much as the 2020 she drove.

He insisted they can still make the math work for us but I told him that I was prepared to buy the jeep at their listed price (I have my own financing and down payment ready to go), not for 3k more. Eventually it was clear he wasn't going to budge so I said 'we'll go elsewhere, thanks for your time' and we hung up.

After getting off the phone and doing more math, we CAN make it work at this price point, although it means more out of pocket than my wife would prefer to spend.
Part of me was hoping he would call back this week with a new number and part of me doesn't want to deal with a dealer like this. They seem really reasonable on the one hand (they've been fairly truthful so far and their doc fee is reasonable), but the listed price being bogus and their brushing off the fact that it's used as the joyride for a manager really turn me off.

How unreasonable am I being here?
What would you guys do?

(sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum for non-order shopping; this was the only one I saw specific to pricing and buying)
Sponsored

Attachments

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Part of me was hoping he would call back this week with a new number and part of me doesn't want to deal with a dealer like this.
The bolded portion is your gut feeling on the matter. That's the part you probably want to listen to.

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 firecracker red Sahara (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubicon (ordered)
My suggestion is that even though your are fixated on a recon (love the package and wanted one myself); you can get the same options on an rubi. The only item that is a lil troublesome is the red seatbelts and swapping out the red for leather dash; that's it. Because of 2021 options you can now get auto 4wd which is something very useful in slippery normal driving conditions. I got my optioned out rubi thinking of getting that recon look but basically is just some decals and you would save maybe 1k in the package combo if you just get some performance rock rail take offs and tire carrier reinforcement.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
You are buying a year-old Wrangler with miles on it, no matter how you look at it. Affiliate pricing or walk away, IMO.

OP
OP
Tephlon

Tephlon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon I4 eTorque, 2012 JGC Overland Summit 5.7 V8 HEMI
My suggestion is that even though your are fixated on a recon (love the package and wanted one myself); you can get the same options on an rubi. The only item that is a lil troublesome is the red seatbelts and swapping out the red for leather dash;
I agree-- I've configured a 2021 as close to the Recon as I can get-- but two of the things my wife is most excited about are the red seat belts and the leather dash (she hates the red dash).
If you want them, the recon group is a steal. The rockrails/step, black grill, steel bumpers, red belts, and leather dash would be well over 2795, assuming they were all available individually in the first place.

I'm looking elsewhere for a Recon. Bottom line, she'd rather wait to get exactly what she wants, and we're in no rush.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Sponsored