Sponsored

Buying a new 2019 vehicle in early 2020

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious what your thoughts are on getting a good deal when buying a new 2019 now, in early 2020? As opposed to getting a new 2020.

The base model pricing seems to have risen $1,000 for the same configuration from 2019 to 2020. Additionally the dealer discount on websites for 2019 ranges from between $3,000 and $5,500 off MSRP. And website prices are opening offers. In my area the dealerships will give opening offers between $1,000 and $1,500 off MSRP on 2020s. Assuming I find the configuration I want. I doubt I could get more than $2,000 off the MSRP on a 2020.

For resale, yes I am getting a vehicle that is technically a year older, but on the other hand, selling it after 5 year will have the mileage divided by 6 to get annual mileage.

I never fully understood how dealers price cars and their true cost etc. I assume they want to unload the 2019s ASAP. I see at most 3 new 2018s within 25 miles of where I am and I live in a dense population area with a bunch of dealerships in that radius,

For what it is worth I am looking for a 4 door unlimited S Sport, 4 Door, with only add-on being the technology package and unfortunately an automatic transmission. (Wife)
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I bought a August ā€˜18 build 2 door Sport in June of ā€˜19. I got about 12.5% off MSRP. I understand that higher trim levels have even more flexibility on price.

In my opinion itā€™s a good deal to buy a leftover especially if the model hasnā€™t changed. I donā€™t know how much one model year matters on resale if itā€™s the same exact model. If youā€™re going to keep it for a while I imagine that itā€™s not that big of a difference, but Iā€™m just speculating.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
If you search this site there are a couple dealerships in NY offering 5-6% off of invoice. If you travel a bit you can go to Criswell and get 8% off of invoice. Remember invoice is a couple thousand less than MSRP.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
While I agree that buying a left over '19 is a good idea because there were no improvements from '19 to '20, you could custom order your build from Suresky in Goshen or Fitzpatrick's in Ansonia, CT and get the exact build you want, a 2020 and save $3000-$5000 easily. I saved nearly $8000 on my Rubi order from Fitzpatrick's, after taxes were factored in. Orders are only a month from order to delivery, so if you have a little time, I would do that. One email, a phone call or two and it's done.

OP
OP
richardya

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all.
I ended up getting (in a week when part comes) a car that the MSRP would be $40,580 for $34,000. Although is a hiccup which gives me an out. I will send an email to Fitzpatrick because he is recommended here to see if he can do something similar on a 2020. The models start out higher but there is some stuff i didn't want on the one I ordered.

Last edited:

Sponsored

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
Looking to also buy a 2019 right now. MSRP is $53170, sale price $45,000. It does have ~5k miles on it. Thinking if i can get them to knock off another $2k, will be worth it.

Has not been titled, was use for loaner at dealership.

OP
OP
richardya

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to also buy a 2019 right now. MSRP is $53170, sale price $45,000. It does have ~5k miles on it. Thinking if i can get them to knock off another $2k, will be worth it.

That is a high trim, a year old, and used. Seems like you should get a lot better deal.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

If I told you some of the things I've done to/with/in loaner cars, you'd ask for them to knock off a lot more than $2k...

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
For your reference,
I paid for a msrp 53,500

I paid $46,300 + 300 dealer fee.

2020 sahara from Criswell

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Hey Everyone! first post, new to the forum, just picked up a 2019 JLU Sport, softop, 3.6L, floor mats, auto, Anti-spin rear diff, 245/75R17 Goodyear Kevlar All Terrains, Heavy duty rock sliders, and wait for it....Punk'n Metallic!!

Lifetime this is my 5th Wrangler, but 1st 4 door.

Super basic old school approach which for me, is a perfect base for future mods and upgrades.

My Deal (I don't know what invoice was - I was targeting max percentage off MSRP)

MSRP: $36,760
Dealer Incentive: -3,323
Jeep Rebate: -5,000
Total price reduction: -8323
Bottom line price $28,437
Discount from MSRP: 22.6%

AND, they gave me $1500 more for my trade than my next best offer....

I think I done good, my wife and my dog both love it, and I can't wait for the warm weather!!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hey Everyone! first post, new to the forum, just picked up a 2019 JLU Sport, softop, 3.6L, floor mats, auto, Anti-spin rear diff, 245/75R17 Goodyear Kevlar All Terrains, Heavy duty rock sliders, and wait for it....Punk'n Metallic!!

Lifetime this is my 5th Wrangler, but 1st 4 door.

Super basic old school approach which for me, is a perfect base for future mods and upgrades.

My Deal (I don't know what invoice was - I was targeting max percentage off MSRP)

MSRP: $36,760
Dealer Incentive: -3,323
Jeep Rebate: -5,000
Total price reduction: -8323
Bottom line price $28,437
Discount from MSRP: 22.6%

AND, they gave me $1500 more for my trade than my next best offer....

I think I done good, my wife and my dog both love it, and I can't wait for the warm weather!!
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy it!

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am curious what your thoughts are on getting a good deal when buying a new 2019 now, in early 2020? As opposed to getting a new 2020.

The base model pricing seems to have risen $1,000 for the same configuration from 2019 to 2020. Additionally the dealer discount on websites for 2019 ranges from between $3,000 and $5,500 off MSRP. And website prices are opening offers. In my area the dealerships will give opening offers between $1,000 and $1,500 off MSRP on 2020s. Assuming I find the configuration I want. I doubt I could get more than $2,000 off the MSRP on a 2020.

For resale, yes I am getting a vehicle that is technically a year older, but on the other hand, selling it after 5 year will have the mileage divided by 6 to get annual mileage.

I never fully understood how dealers price cars and their true cost etc. I assume they want to unload the 2019s ASAP. I see at most 3 new 2018s within 25 miles of where I am and I live in a dense population area with a bunch of dealerships in that radius,

For what it is worth I am looking for a 4 door unlimited S Sport, 4 Door, with only add-on being the technology package and unfortunately an automatic transmission. (Wife)
I would definitely say that their is nothing wrong with buying a 2019 in 2020. I know at our dealership I am taking as much as 7k off for our 2019s. I actually have a Sport S right now that is almost 10k off. It all depends on what Jeep is doing to help us move the older inventory. They will have us some things to help lower the price which generally is why you see last year models moving at the prices they are.

OP
OP
richardya

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely say that their is nothing wrong with buying a 2019 in 2020. I know at our dealership I am taking as much as 7k off for our 2019s. I actually have a Sport S right now that is almost 10k off. It all depends on what Jeep is doing to help us move the older inventory. They will have us some things to help lower the price which generally is why you see last year models moving at the prices they are.
I ended up not taking the original I was going to buy for $34,000. Long story.
New dealership and current deal I pay $500 less ($33,500) and yet I will get the hard top instead of premium soft top, got the cold weather group, got the convenience group, and gave up the floor mats. Ended up 20% off MSRP and they barely put up a fight. I probably could have gotten even more off. Although were no black ones left so I got silver.

The Jeep site is amazing for checking local inventory. They are starting to run low on selection.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I ended up not taking the original I was going to buy for $34,000. Long story.
New dealership and current deal I pay $500 less ($33,500) and yet I will get the hard top instead of premium soft top, got the cold weather group, got the convenience group, and gave up the floor mats. Ended up 20% off MSRP and they barely put up a fight. I probably could have gotten even more off. Although were no black ones left so I got silver.

The Jeep site is amazing for checking local inventory. They are starting to run low on selection.
You made good trade-offs. Floor mats are actually better to get aftermarket, even if you get the Mopar ones, as you lose the carpeted ones when you get them from the factory/ Also, it is waaaaay easier to add a soft top after the fact than it is to retrofit a hard top due to the wiring and plumbing involved. And the Cold Weather and Convenience groups are no-brainers.
Sponsored