Sponsored

Buying a JLUR- Want to guide me through it?

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hello everyone! I've been wanting a JLUR since they were introduced. We have been "light" off roading with our F150 for 5-6 years. Tired of being limited by its shortcomings and ready to make the jump.

I'm not in a race to make the purchase. Willing to go to moderate effort to save a dollar. I've been reading this forum for a few months now and feel fairly educated.

I plan to shop via internet and willing to drive up to a days drive from home (Greenville, SC). I've drafted the following letter after seeing several samples here. What do you think?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is _________, my wife and I have recently test driven the JLUR at another dealership. We have decided to proceed with purchasing a JLUR and are now shopping for the best quote.

Attached is a pdf to the build I want directly from the Jeep website.

In summary:

2020 JLUR in Hella Yella
3.6 liter, automatic
Black Freedom Top 3-piece hard top
Floor Mats
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group (includes remote start)
Trailer Tow Group

I am pre-approved for a loan through my local bank.

This is a one time request. Please submit by return email only, your best offer in the next 72 hours. Include all costs associated with the purchase, I will only evaluate “Out the Door” prices.

I’m looking forward to working with you on a smooth and easy transaction.

(I will include all contact information)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was briefly involved on another thread that helped with pulling together the invoice pricing shown in the included image. Is there any error in my calculations? Am I looking at this with the right perspective? Column to the right is "Invoice Pricing" to the left is "MSRP Pricing".

IMG-3738.jpg

From what I can gather, it seems 6% below invoice is fairly common to achieve, with some getting as low as 8% below invoice. As I mentioned above, I'm willing to work and wait to get the 8%.

I assume my next step is to identify dealerships and get the email out? I plan to use this thread for each step of the process, so I would welcome any "Purchasing Pros" to offer their guidance.

Thanks.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re looking for a 2020 jeep, they probably won’t discount much… At least not in the area I live, I found that looking for a brand new 2018 model I was able to save a large sum of money because they want to get rid of them to make room for newer inventory.

If you’re looking for a jeep with specific options, I would recommend using this window sticker look up site, it will avoid having to call dealers and ask what options are on the jeep they have. It also saves a lot of drive time.

https://windowstickerlookup.com/

by spending a little time doing it this way, we were able to save $13,000 off the sticker on my wife’s car and about $6,000 off sticker on mine. My wife’s car (MSRP $50,425) was never titled but had been used by the dealership as a loaner car, mine (MSRP $46,025) was brand new with 57 miles on it. Plus they gave me almost full payoff on my trade.

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have not done a internet buy, so other will chime in on that topic. the way your e mail to the dealer, kinda raises some concerns (the way i see it). you are providing a build sheet but it doesnt clearly state if you are going to have that dealer order the jl for you or if the dealer has on on the lot. the other thing is that the dealer will be more in entertaining you in buying what they have on the lot. the other thing is, giving a one time, 72 hour time frame could turn dealership away in helping you in a potential deal. just my .02

here's what i would do. go on the jeep website and build the jl you want. then let the site do a dealership match. if there's a match (or close to it) contact that dealer and go from there. thats what i did when i found my jl. but i went to the dealer ( it was 30 mins from me.) and showed the sticker number to the particular jl that i was looking at. test drove it, made the deal and drove it home that day.

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Let me save you some time...Email Patrick Mantua at Criswell with what you want. No one near me wanted to deal. I emailed him and had a killer deal in a couple of hours. Mine will be ready for pickup in a few weeks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a JLUR- Want to guide me through it? {filename}

[email protected]

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also look at the thread on the general page about things people regret not ordering. A few items I saw over and over are not on your list.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Hello everyone! I've been wanting a JLUR since they were introduced. We have been "light" off roading with our F150 for 5-6 years. Tired of being limited by its shortcomings and ready to make the jump.

I'm not in a race to make the purchase. Willing to go to moderate effort to save a dollar. I've been reading this forum for a few months now and feel fairly educated.

I plan to shop via internet and willing to drive up to a days drive from home (Greenville, SC). I've drafted the following letter after seeing several samples here. What do you think?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is _________, my wife and I have recently test driven the JLUR at another dealership. We have decided to proceed with purchasing a JLUR and are now shopping for the best quote.

Attached is a pdf to the build I want directly from the Jeep website.

In summary:

2020 JLUR in Hella Yella
3.6 liter, automatic
Black Freedom Top 3-piece hard top
Floor Mats
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group (includes remote start)
Trailer Tow Group

I am pre-approved for a loan through my local bank.

This is a one time request. Please submit by return email only, your best offer in the next 72 hours. Include all costs associated with the purchase, I will only evaluate “Out the Door” prices.

I’m looking forward to working with you on a smooth and easy transaction.

(I will include all contact information)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was briefly involved on another thread that helped with pulling together the invoice pricing shown in the included image. Is there any error in my calculations? Am I looking at this with the right perspective? Column to the right is "Invoice Pricing" to the left is "MSRP Pricing".

From what I can gather, it seems 6% below invoice is fairly common to achieve, with some getting as low as 8% below invoice. As I mentioned above, I'm willing to work and wait to get the 8%.

I assume my next step is to identify dealerships and get the email out? I plan to use this thread for each step of the process, so I would welcome any "Purchasing Pros" to offer their guidance.

Thanks.
Let me save you some time...Email Patrick Mantua at Criswell with what you want. No one near me wanted to deal. I emailed him and had a killer deal in a couple of hours. Mine will be ready for pickup in a few weeks.

[email protected]
There is no reason, at all, for you to work that hard or even email anyone other than Criswell. You will get 7% under invoice on any build you submit, and an extra 1% on top of that if you qualify for an Affiliate Reward like Tread Lightly (though there are literally hundreds of other ways to qualify). You might get someone closer to get close, after long hours of back-and-forth, but that just ain't worth it.
I would also consider the proximity keyless entry and the steel bumper package, and be aware that the mud mats delete the carpet mats.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Agree with the above. You are close enough to Tri-City and Criswell and you will not do any better than their pricing. Just decide how far you want to drive and contact one of them.

OP
OP
Rolling Ragu

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
i have not done a internet buy, so other will chime in on that topic. the way your e mail to the dealer, kinda raises some concerns (the way i see it). you are providing a build sheet but it doesnt clearly state if you are going to have that dealer order the jl for you or if the dealer has on on the lot. the other thing is that the dealer will be more in entertaining you in buying what they have on the lot. the other thing is, giving a one time, 72 hour time frame could turn dealership away in helping you in a potential deal. just my .02

here's what i would do. go on the jeep website and build the jl you want. then let the site do a dealership match. if there's a match (or close to it) contact that dealer and go from there. thats what i did when i found my jl. but i went to the dealer ( it was 30 mins from me.) and showed the sticker number to the particular jl that i was looking at. test drove it, made the deal and drove it home that day.
cosine, I have to agree with you. The tone of the letter doesn't sound like me, but it followed suggestions I saw on the forums. I do think I am going to reconsider and make it a little less "pushy". Thanks for your comments.

OP
OP
Rolling Ragu

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Also look at the thread on the general page about things people regret not ordering. A few items I saw over and over are not on your list.
The only items I can think of that are common regrets are the proximity key and steel bumpers. Not interested in proximity and I will be adding an aftermarket steel bumper. I will be towing behind a motorhome and want the D hooks for connecting a tow bar. The OEM steel bumper will not allow for that.

Which options were you specifically referring to?

OP
OP
Rolling Ragu

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There is no reason, at all, for you to work that hard or even email anyone other than Criswell. You will get 7% under invoice on any build you submit, and an extra 1% on top of that if you qualify for an Affiliate Reward like Tread Lightly (though there are literally hundreds of other ways to qualify). You might get someone closer to get close, after long hours of back-and-forth, but that just ain't worth it.
I would also consider the proximity keyless entry and the steel bumper package, and be aware that the mud mats delete the carpet mats.
misanthrope, I believe you are spot on, but want to go through some of the process either way. I have a personal connection to the owner of a local dealership and want to give him a shot at it.

I was going to add "Tread Lightly", but the website says you must be an active member for 30 days. That might work out and might not???

See above comment for thoughts on steel bumper and proximity.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rolling Ragu

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Agree with the above. You are close enough to Tri-City and Criswell and you will not do any better than their pricing. Just decide how far you want to drive and contact one of them.
Is Tri-City the dealership in Kingsport, TN or Eden, NC? Both are within 3.5 hours of me, so that's great! Do you have a contact name and email for either? Are they known to match Criswell as easily? If so, that would save me about 6-7 hours of driving each way.

Thanks.

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only items I can think of that are common regrets are the proximity key and steel bumpers. Not interested in proximity and I will be adding an aftermarket steel bumper. I will be towing behind a motorhome and want the D hooks for connecting a tow bar. The OEM steel bumper will not allow for that.

Which options were you specifically referring to?
Lots complain about their lack of getting the prox. Also, dual top group is another. You are getting a premium soft top for half the cost. Do you have the tow group? The hitch is easy but the wiring is a big convenience for the aux switches.

Tread Lightly will get you 1% off at Criswell. It costs $100 for the year and YOU MUST get it at least 30 days prior to picking up your Jeep for the code to be valid.

Finally, FWP is invoice. Add those up and take off the discount.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Is Tri-City the dealership in Kingsport, TN or Eden, NC? Both are within 3.5 hours of me, so that's great! Do you have a contact name and email for either? Are they known to match Criswell as easily? If so, that would save me about 6-7 hours of driving each way.

Thanks.
Tri-City is in Eden and a forum sponsor.

They do 4% - 6% off invoice depending. Details and contact info here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/7-below-invoice-pricing.24423/#post-771676

Criswell is a little lower but further.

wberry536

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLU Sahara, ‘20 JLU Rubicon
The single best option I did on both my '19 & '20 is the 2.0l turbo. I traded in a '16 & '17 and would NEVER go back to the 3.6l.
Sponsored