Buying a JK instead of a JL - Interesting Perspective

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
id say the axle upgrades on the JL make this a mute point. if you have any plans of going 35's-37's which most people who modify will. The axle upgrades on the JL "should" be enough to handle this.
It's way too early to have that much confidence in the longevity of the JL axle. Sure, they're stronger, but the JL as a whole is still an unproven vehicle. When people were first starting to lift JKs, a lot of shops were seeing bent axles on Wrangler's that hadn't even been wheeled. Apparently, Dana wasn't welding them correctly before shipping them off to Jeep and simple things like potholes were tweaking them. This was an issue that continued well into 2008, too.

my buddy has a JKUR on 37's and he has had plenty of axle problems, bent tube, bent C, small brakes. All of those were "fixed" on the JL Rubi axles. thicker tubes, beefed up c's, bigger brakes from the factory.
37's are absolutely going to take a toll on a stock JL axle. It's only a matter of time.

Advertisement

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I went look at the Recon next to a JLUR...:movember:.... No comparison. I need to hold on to my horses. Plan to order this summer, back on track.
I couldn't contain my horses. I decided to watch from the sidelines. I picked up a 2018 Willys Wheeler today. Tried 'n' true JKU. I might revisit the JL in a few years to see how the offroad pages and BSG pans out. Fair thee well....:fist bump:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't contain my horses. I decided to watch from the sidelines. I picked up a 2018 Willys Wheeler today. Tried 'n' true JKU. I might revisit the JL in a few years to see how the offroad pages and BSG pans out. Fair thee well....:fist bump:
If any of the JKs had changed my mind it would be the Golden Eagle, and I would have used the savings over the JL to get a matching 77' Trans Am along with it.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m in the same boat- teeter tottering between JL and just getting a JK willy’s 2 door myself- getting the newest thing also means basically being FCA’s test market / guinea pig for whatever could potentially be wrong with these JL’s that we haven’t really heard about yet. I already did that with my 07 Dodge Caliber, which, fortunately, I still drive because there wasn’t too many issues- but a few to be clear.

Plus- with the end of the JK’s they’re bound to drop in price. I’ve already seen some nice JK’s loaded for thousands less than what I’d be dropping on a sport s JL with “maybe “ a few options.

If there’s lots of issues with the JL as well, it’ll make the JK even more valuable

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If any of the JKs had changed my mind it would be the Golden Eagle, and I would have used the savings over the JL to get a matching 77' Trans Am along with it.
Were you going to get a white one and put on your Daisy Dukes while driving it? :cwl:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Damn I was waiting for another I bought a JK instead of a JL thread with a picture of you in your Daisy Dukes! :cwl::cwl::cwl:
I really don't think you'd want to see me in daisy dukes... :surprised:

1quick1

Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I am one of the most impatient people in the world but I know if I realistically plan on keeping this for 10 years I need to exercise some patience and get exactly what I want. I like the JK's but the new JL's are going to be soooo much better.
And they are..

Advertisement

WheelsASAP

Advertisement