Buying a JK instead of a JL - Interesting Perspective

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
I was an early adopter of the 2007 JK when it first came out. I was all excited to have the latest greatest then. Fast forward 11 years through 2 JKs and I really wish I had bought 2 new TJs in 2007 instead, enough to finish my life with. I much prefer a TJ over a JK or JL. Hindsight is 20/20. That said since I can find a really nice TJ anymore, I’ll be buying 2 door JL sport manual with roll up windows and radio delete!

Advertisement

JDK

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2008 Shelby GT
Did you check to see if T-SB-0077-16 applies to your Tacoma?
Yes, had the update. The improvement was negligible. I use the auto shift 100% time now. But the lack of torque low in the RPM is just as bothersome. Cannot image adding 32’s or bigger with this engine and trans combination without shorter gears. And the kicker, I’m lucky to see 17mpg (my commute is short and stoplight to stoplight, which doesn’t help. Nor does winter gas and cold temps). The improved mpg was Toyota’s point with this engine and trans. I like the truck, just hate driving it. I likely would be perfectly satisfied with a manual. My distaste for the engine and trans evolved slowly over the 1st 12 months.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Not sure we give a hoot, head on over to the JK forum and tell everyone there.
Plenty of us "gave a hoot" about this in the last two months.. hence a good five pages on this thread.

FCA's.... shall we say "recent creative business practices" have drawn many members here back to the JK. It's remaining a good point of discussion here, especially considering that scooping a final JK will save oneself several thousand dollars and a wait. :)

whyjguy

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 1994 YJ
  • If you're looking for something to use exclusively for wheeling, the JK is just as capable as a JL. All the crawling they did at the JL press event in Arizona with the Rubicons can easily be done in a JK.

id say the axle upgrades on the JL make this a mute point. if you have any plans of going 35's-37's which most people who modify will. The axle upgrades on the JL "should" be enough to handle this.

my buddy has a JKUR on 37's and he has had plenty of axle problems, bent tube, bent C, small brakes. All of those were "fixed" on the JL Rubi axles. thicker tubes, beefed up c's, bigger brakes from the factory.

in bone stock trim, I agree with you. any upgrades and Rubicon to Rubicon id take the JL over the JK.

**disclaimer** the upgrades have not really been proven long term yet. I am basing this solely on technical merit and not real-world testing.

edit 2: did not mean to quote a post from 5 pages ago. webpage glitched and showed this post being two behind my reply on the 5th page

maguro

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Yes, had the update. The improvement was negligible. I use the auto shift 100% time now. But the lack of torque low in the RPM is just as bothersome. Cannot image adding 32’s or bigger with this engine and trans combination without shorter gears. And the kicker, I’m lucky to see 17mpg (my commute is short and stoplight to stoplight, which doesn’t help. Nor does winter gas and cold temps). The improved mpg was Toyota’s point with this engine and trans. I like the truck, just hate driving it. I likely would be perfectly satisfied with a manual. My distaste for the engine and trans evolved slowly over the 1st 12 months.
I test drove the Tacoma and really liked it. However, I realized that I didn't really need the utility of a mid size pickup. A modernized 4Runner would have been ideal so I was hoping 2019 would be a redesign. As soon as I heard that it was unchanged yet again, I placed my order for a JLUR.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
id say the axle upgrades on the JL make this a mute point. if you have any plans of going 35's-37's which most people who modify will. The axle upgrades on the JL "should" be enough to handle this.

my buddy has a JKUR on 37's and he has had plenty of axle problems, bent tube, bent C, small brakes. All of those were "fixed" on the JL Rubi axles. thicker tubes, beefed up c's, bigger brakes from the factory.

in bone stock trim, I agree with you. any upgrades and Rubicon to Rubicon id take the JL over the JK.

**disclaimer** the upgrades have not really been proven long term yet. I am basing this solely on technical merit and not real-world testing.

edit 2: did not mean to quote a post from 5 pages ago. webpage glitched and showed this post being two behind my reply on the 5th page
Anyone running 37's needs to accept that they will break the stock shit. It's built tough but romping on rubber that big is big component stress. A JK will easily break axle components on 35's if you're hard enough.

Since I'm getting the LSD Dana 44 package, with all the other axle toughening measures, I expect this Jeep to pretty much never break on the trail with 32's or 33's.

I think the fact they upped the stock tire size shows they have confidence in the improvements.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Nope not nope.I don't even need to read any of these post or watch the video. My Jl is my 8th Wrangler and my last three have been JK Rubicons. My 2015 was a loaded Hard Rock. It was awesome. I've loved every one of them but none even come close to this JL. No way. The only reason I could see buying a 2018 JK would be to save money but don't even try and convince any of us that the JK is a better rig. It was bad ass in 2015 but can't compare to the new JL. AS always IMO.....

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
FCA's.... shall we say "recent creative business practices" have drawn many members here back to the JK. :)
X1000

I'm looking at a JKUR Recon right now because of FCA's tactics on the JLUR. Plus with the BSG next year, you'll basically have 2 "first year" Wranglers back to back. I don't want to wait till 2020.

Forgettable1

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nope not nope.I don't even need to read any of these post or watch the video. My Jl is my 8th Wrangler and my last three have been JK Rubicons. My 2015 was a loaded Hard Rock. It was awesome. I've loved every one of them but none even come close to this JL. No way. The only reason I could see buying a 2018 JK would be to save money but don't even try and convince any of us that the JK is a better rig. It was bad ass in 2015 but can't compare to the new JL. AS always IMO.....
This. Disregarding the specs, and the dollars, if someones only experience with Jeep was on the JL and they took a JK for a drive, they'd think the JK was broken.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I’ve owned a few Jeeps over the years, JKUR years were ‘10 and ‘14. I sold my ‘14 several months ago to maximize the sale price...then a used with 9k miles nicely built 2016 Hard Rock hit the dealer lot at the end of ‘17.... I was already Jeepless and this one looked nice but was priced too high yet I was without a Jeep, I test drove it but declined to purchase. In January ‘18 it had been on the lot for a bit and the price had dropped a few thousand and I went to see how low they would go BUT test drove the JL and the rest is history. My JLUR even though it’s considerably more $$ IMO was the only choice. 3 more days and lift, wheels/tires,winch,LED’s,rock lights,bull bar will be installed....I liked my JK’s and almost bought another one but I believe the JL checks all the boxes.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

whyjguy

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 1994 YJ
Anyone running 37's needs to accept that they will break the stock shit. It's built tough but romping on rubber that big is big component stress. A JK will easily break axle components on 35's if you're hard enough.

Since I'm getting the LSD Dana 44 package, with all the other axle toughening measures, I expect this Jeep to pretty much never break on the trail with 32's or 33's.

I think the fact they upped the stock tire size shows they have confidence in the improvements.
Agreed, what I'm getting at is all of the issues he had have supposedly been solved with the JL Rubi axles.

So apples to apples, the upgrades to the JL axles make it worth it over the JK, unless your plan is to go 1-tons and >37" tires.

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I went look at the Recon next to a JLUR...:movember:.... No comparison. I need to hold on to my horses. Plan to order this summer, back on track.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, what I'm getting at is all of the issues he had have supposedly been solved with the JL Rubi axles.

So apples to apples, the upgrades to the JL axles make it worth it over the JK, unless your plan is to go 1-tons and >37" tires.
I don't think their modest axle upgrades should be taken as "what will break on a JKR won't break on a JLR". If you wanna beat on 35's, a JLR might be that sweet spot of capability, but really you'll still probably break those axles eventually romping hard.

For those running, say, 33's, you wouldn't break on JKR axles so it's kinda moot either way.

Each buyer can just ask themselves what they want out of their rig, and what price they're willing to pay.

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement