Buying a JK instead of a JL - Interesting Perspective

TsundereKaho

First Name
Kaho
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 YJ, 12 JK Rubicon
Brand New vs Brand New with both on the same lot I don't know why anyone would pick the JK over a JL. You'd have to be drunk or high.

I'll admit I did just bought a JK instead of waiting for the JL cause I couldn't wait till summer when the dealerships here plan to stock them :mad:. I wasn't really planning on it, but on the way to work one day I saw a 2dr '12 JK Rubicon with 50,000 miles for only $20k. Too good to pass up since Wranglers re-sell for a stupid amount of money where I live.

Having never truly owned a coil sprung Wrangler before I figure I can wheel this one without adding anything but coil spacers and tires and in a year I'll find out if the diesel JL is worth it or get a used JL Sport. Either way I'd still come out ahead trading in the JK since it's a Rubicon.

I think my reasoning makes more sense and I didn't make a YT video to justify the buyers remorse. :giggle:

Advertisement

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM Power Wagon
I just traded my 2016 HR JKU on a 2018 JKUR. I wanted a basic Rubicon with stick and half doors (something you can't get yet with the JL), and this will tide me over until the diesel JL and/or Scrambler is out and any first year issues are identified and addressed. The TJ Rubicons held their resale value well despite the improvements the JK offered, and I expect the JK's end will be no different. I walked off the lot with the 2018 for $34.5K, so I'll be fine from an equity standpoint when I'm ready for the JL.

And I know no one here wants to even consider this, but you know there will be at least one big first year issue that ends up as a 100-page long topic on the forums. I hope not, but...

LVP Filmin

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon
I haven't even sat in a JL yet but I can tell you that the "environment" in the JK is going to be a lot different vs. the JL. The JL with it's car like doors, raked windshield, flashy dash, etc. is going to feel more like every other SUV on the market. The JK, on the other hand, still has those thin door sills, upright windshield, vertical design, doors that swing open and flop around, simple interior controls, etc. The JK feels a lot more "military" and more to the roots of what the Jeep originally was. The JL is going another step toward being a 4Runner with a removeable top.

Yes, the JK is FAR less expensive and will do every single thing the JL will do on the trail and on the road, but guys are underestimating the emotional attachment factor. There's just something about climbing aboard a Jeep Wrangler JK that sets it apart from every other SUV out there. And the JL is moving toward erasing that difference.
I’m not so sure about that. I drove a JL Sahara last week. Here are my initial observations comparing ride-atmospherics:

1. This is, first and foremost, still a Wrangler. Everything about it points more to continuity with the JK than to changes. The feel, the ride . . . it didn’t for a moment feel like it was moving towards every other SUV.

2. I never once noticed the windshield sweep, which I thought for sure I would.

3. In fact, it actually felt truer to the “Jeep feel” than my JK Rubicon. The dash being more horizontal felt like a step away from “luxury SUV”. So much so that when we got back into my JK, the women of the family liked the JK dash’s comparatively greater “hug the driver” feel. The JL feels much more like a CJ (by design of course, but I actually felt it).

4. (I would need to get used to the new hard top plastic. It has a lighter texture, reminiscent of fiberglass? Not a big deal, just an adjustment.)

5. I loved the hood from the inside. Much more horizontal in feel than the sloping hood of the JK. Made it feel more truck-like.

(Much more could be said, but that gets the point across)

My takeaway: (1) if you have a JK (2018 or otherwise, lol) and aren’t quite ready to jump, you aren’t missing much in the “Jeep atmospherics”. You’re driving a wrangler, get out and enjoy driving! (2) The JL is a Wrangler, through and through—very impressed how the design team kept the feel while improving on the experience. (3) While I’d respect the decision to buy a 2018 JK for a variety of reasons (it’s an inherently personal decision—my daughter is soooo bonded with our JK), personally the JL seems like a no brainer, for reasons amply mentioned in the posts above.

JeepinOutfitters

Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
5. I loved the hood from the inside. Much more horizontal in feel than the sloping hood of the JK. Made it feel more truck-like.
So compared to your JK, did the flatter hood seem like it hindered visibility any over the JK?

Noctroplis

First Name
The Dude
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Wrangler
What about now where we see JK's for 5k off sticker vs 4-5% for the JL's. Is there that much of a difference to make the JL worth the extra 3-5k?

AZCrawl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
What about now where we see JK's for 5k off sticker vs 4-5% for the JL's. Is there that much of a difference to make the JL worth the extra 3-5k?
Yup. Search for related topics on the forum and read all about them.

Noctroplis

First Name
The Dude
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Wrangler
If you're going to strip it down and heavily mod, I'd say no.
Thank you - Not heavily mod, just normal stuff (tires, lights). Appreciate the input. ;-)

Sounds like the JL's are worth a little extra.

LVP Filmin

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon
Thank you - Not heavily mod, just normal stuff (tires, lights). Appreciate the input. ;-)

Sounds like the JL's are worth a little extra.
Having had mine for a month, trading in my ‘16 rubicon is (IMO) worth every penny. I certainly understand the savings issue though. If I were at that point in my life, I’d go for a gently used JK rather than a discounted new one.

1quick1

Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I am one of the most impatient people in the world but I know if I realistically plan on keeping this for 10 years I need to exercise some patience and get exactly what I want. I like the JK's but the new JL's are going to be soooo much better.
I waited and found one configured how I liked it on the lot. So glad!

The guy swapping my tires just bought a 2018 JK. I can just feel his disappointment after 10 minutes of asking about my JL. Nice guy though.

MOKE

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 F-150, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Business Development
JL > JK

Dont do it....

JDK

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2008 Shelby GT
1st post, so be gentle with me....

Upfront, I didn't watch the video. Most YouTube videos annoy the hell out of me with terrible choices in music.

I've owned several Jeeps in the past, XJ's and TJ's, but never a JK. So, a new JKU to me would be a significant step up from my last Jeep, an '04 TJ Unlimited (seriously miss that Jeep). I sold off the TJ and leased a '17 Tacoma. I needed a truck and went with the Tacoma for its RV with plans to move to the JL Truck/Scrambler in a few years. Well, 15 months into my Tacoma and I cannot stand driving it. Love utility and the way it handles but the damn engine and auto tranny whip me every time I drive it and I'm ready to move on. I thought I could live with the engine/trans, but its a struggle.

Expecting deep discounts on the JKU I have very casually started shopping for a JKU Willys. A quick search locally, and I haven't been disappointed in the advertised prices on the '18 Willys. I'm see new listed for less then used. In fact, many are available for less than what I paid for the Tacoma. Problem is, I still need a truck.

So my internal debate is become serious about a JKU Willys (found one local in Rhino Grey advertised for $30K), or put up with the Tacoma for another 9-12 months and find/order me a JL Truck a year from now, assuming that's when it will be released. I've been lusting over the JKU Rubi's, posted in the forum, particularly in Ocean Blue. I hope that color is held over for the Truck.

My point to my ramblings; there are any number of reason to go with a JK of the JL that do not need justification. There will always be something newer, shinier, desirable the day after you purchase. Just don't buy a 3rd Gen Tacoma with an auto.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
1st post, so be gentle with me....

Upfront, I didn't watch the video. Most YouTube videos annoy the hell out of me with terrible choices in music.

I've owned several Jeeps in the past, XJ's and TJ's, but never a JK. So, a new JKU to me would be a significant step up from my last Jeep, an '04 TJ Unlimited (seriously miss that Jeep). I sold off the TJ and leased a '17 Tacoma. I needed a truck and went with the Tacoma for its RV with plans to move to the JL Truck/Scrambler in a few years. Well, 15 months into my Tacoma and I cannot stand driving it. Love utility and the way it handles but the damn engine and auto tranny whip me every time I drive it and I'm ready to move on. I thought I could live with the engine/trans, but its a struggle.

Expecting deep discounts on the JKU I have very casually started shopping for a JKU Willys. A quick search locally, and I haven't been disappointed in the advertised prices on the '18 Willys. I'm see new listed for less then used. In fact, many are available for less than what I paid for the Tacoma. Problem is, I still need a truck.

So my internal debate is become serious about a JKU Willys (found one local in Rhino Grey advertised for $30K), or put up with the Tacoma for another 9-12 months and find/order me a JL Truck a year from now, assuming that's when it will be released. I've been lusting over the JKU Rubi's, posted in the forum, particularly in Ocean Blue. I hope that color is held over for the Truck.

My point to my ramblings; there are any number of reason to go with a JK of the JL that do not need justification. There will always be something newer, shinier, desirable the day after you purchase. Just don't buy a 3rd Gen Tacoma with an auto.
I don't think you will be flamed for that point of view as many of us share it. You'll see many talking about how great the JK is and the fact that you can get a really nice equipped one for a really good discount.

With that being said Jeep did a really nice job on the new JL with many improvements. If somebody cannot justify the price of a JL now but can justify a JK that is a perfect solution to getting into a Wrangler now. Great thing is the JK is not going to loose value like other vehicles. When that JK is traded in they will owe less on the loan than it is worth and that money can be rolled into a new JL be it the current wrangler or the truck version in 2019/2020.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Well, 15 months into my Tacoma and I cannot stand driving it. Love utility and the way it handles but the damn engine and auto tranny whip me every time I drive it and I'm ready to move on. I thought I could live with the engine/trans, but its a struggle.
Did you check to see if T-SB-0077-16 applies to your Tacoma?

Advertisement

Allmoparparts.com

Advertisement