Buying a JK instead of a JL - Interesting Perspective

chuck h

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
If I was silly enough buy a JK right before the JL comes out, I too would make a youtube video to justify my mistake
Hey, I was silly enough to buy a JK right before the JL came out, and I didn't make a youtube video.

Then again, I don't own a camera......

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Lol. I'm not going to argue all the other b.s. Because it's subjective, but the price difference is pretty minimal when you compare apples to apples.

Thousands of dollars worth of increase on the exact same model is not my definition of "pretty minimal". Maybe your pockets are deeper than mine.

$2,000 for an automatic transmission? Who does that?

Another $2,000 if you want the 4 cylinder engine? Who does that?

There's nothing subjective about it. The JL is moving toward every other SUV on the market with each passing generation.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
The JL is moving toward every other SUV on the market with each passing generation.
FCA is following the money, if they really wanted to go full blown enthusiast, they’d put the eco diesel with a six speed in a 2 door with no power windows and locks.... only in cloth.

Covfefe

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Thousands of dollars worth of increase on the exact same model is not my definition of "pretty minimal". Maybe your pockets are deeper than mine.

There's nothing subjective about it. The JL is moving toward every other SUV on the market with each passing generation.
You’re on the wrong forum dood. JK form is that way

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

What are you comparing? Price out a loaded recon next to a loaded JL rubicon, minimal price difference. Bare bones sport jk to bare bones sport JL, slight increase but worth it if you consider the improvements. Did you expect the new 8 speed to cost the same as the old 5 speed? You can whine and cry all you want. If you don’t want one, go away.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR

First of all, you can get the manual for $0, second, that is only a $600 increase over the JK for a much better transmission...third, there was no engine option in the JK so why not stay with the same power for $0 upcharge....you have to compare apples to apples.

Jeepster2018

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Exactly. Well stated!

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUS Ocean Blue, '15 BMW X1, '14 BMW 435i Coupe 6MT, '11 Pathfinder 4X4, '17 Chevy Volt, '56 Chevy Nomad, '14 BMW G650GS Sertao (yes I have a problem)
Local dealers are running good sales on '17 and '18 JK Rubicons, but the JLU

1) has better MPGs
2) more cargo room
3) much better interior
4) better on-road manners
5) vastly better safety equipment (teenage son will be driving if we buy)
6) easier top/door/windshield drop/removal (the new premium soft top seems to be a marvel of engineering)
7) no fluttery hood

They are selling the '18 JKs alongside the JLs, so when it comes time we can look and drive them side by side to see if the price increase is worth the improvements. The good thing is the safety enhancements make the JL an easier sell to the wife.

Cowboy JK

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 2dr JK Sahara
I'm not a new car guy. One of the best parts about owning a Jeep is modifying it. I would have a tough time dropping $40-$50k on a new JL and then spending another $10 to get it like I want it. Not to mention waiting for the aftermarket to catch up with new parts. CJD dealers in my area are notorious for "market adjustment" (dealer gouge) on popular vehicles. Getting a new JL for sticker will be impossible for a while. The price of used 4dr JKs are dropping. I could buy a used JK Unlimited for around $25k and put $10k in it and have the only one like it. JL will have to wait.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I'm not a new car guy. One of the best parts about owning a Jeep is modifying it. I would have a tough time dropping $40-$50k on a new JL and then spending another $10 to get it like I want it. Not to mention waiting for the aftermarket to catch up with new parts. CJD dealers in my area are notorious for "market adjustment" (dealer gouge) on popular vehicles. Getting a new JL for sticker will be impossible for a while. The price of used 4dr JKs are dropping. I could buy a used JK Unlimited for around $25k and put $10k in it and have the only one like it. JL will have to wait.
Getting anew JL for sticker will be impossible for awhile? Wrong, we are all buying them under invoice (1%-5% under)and with very little trouble.

Cowboy JK

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 2dr JK Sahara
Getting anew JL for sticker will be impossible for awhile? Wrong, we are all buying them under invoice (1%-5% under)and with very little trouble.
I'll post a pic. Every JK at my home town dealer has a $1,500 "Pro Package" on them for Window tint, floor mats and life time nitrogen in the tires.

JeepinOutfitters

Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Local dealers are running good sales on '17 and '18 JK Rubicons, but the JLU

1) has better MPGs
2) more cargo room
3) much better interior
4) better on-road manners
5) vastly better safety equipment (teenage son will be driving if we buy)
6) easier top/door/windshield drop/removal (the new premium soft top seems to be a marvel of engineering)
7) no fluttery hood

They are selling the '18 JKs alongside the JLs, so when it comes time we can look and drive them side by side to see if the price increase is worth the improvements. The good thing is the safety enhancements make the JL an easier sell to the wife.
I'l argue point #2. Based on actual measurements, the JLU's cargo area is functionally smaller than the JKU's. Nearly every dimension on the JLU cargo area is smaller than that of the JKU. Granted though, it's not YUGE differences, but they're there, and depending on your gear it could make a difference in what (or how) you're able to fit it. With the rear seats down the JLU might have the edge in space since it has a bit more rear passenger room, but with the rear seats up, the JKU beats out the JLU in pure cargo space (unless the JLU measurements posted in another thread are incorrect somehow).

All the other improvements in the JL are probably worth the trade-off though. And the JLU has an enormous under-floor cubby compared to the JKU, especially now that it's not taken up with the subwoofer like it is on 2015+ JKs.

Advertisement

Next Venture Motorsports

Advertisement