Buying a JK instead of a JL - Interesting Perspective

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I couldn't make it though the entire video but from what I understood, he didn't even test drive the JL did he?

You definitely owe it to yourself to test drive the JK and JL back to back before making any sort of decision.
I agree. What I got out of it is he bought a JK because he did not want to wait for a JL. I get it, but it’s hard to justify buying one over the other if they are both not available or there’s so much you don’t know. The title should be “Why I’m Okay with Purchasing a JK Now”.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
I agree. What I got out of it is he bought a JK because he did not want to wait for a JL. I get it, but it’s hard to justify buying one over the other if they are both not available or there’s so much you don’t know. The title should be “Why I’m Okay with Purchasing a JK Now”.
Yes but that title does not qualify as clickbait

1quick1

Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I am one of the most impatient people in the world but I know if I realistically plan on keeping this for 10 years I need to exercise some patience and get exactly what I want. I like the JK's but the new JL's are going to be soooo much better.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
me too so impatient but I love the jl so much more.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
If his video isn’t based solely on getting an absolutely scorching good deal on his JK ( which he didn’t get) then the title should be why I settled on a JK.... and no I’m not hating on JKs on have had two along with many other wranglers....but Unless his choice is based solely on price ( which I respect) it’s all just conjecture.

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I am one of the most impatient people in the world but I know if I realistically plan on keeping this for 10 years I need to exercise some patience and get exactly what I want. I like the JK's but the new JL's are going to be soooo much better.
I'm right there with ya!

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
I can be a bit impatient as well. I was so close to buying a JK back in November but forced myself to at least wait for the JL reveal. I'm so glad I did, but now I have to wait even longer for a 2 door. I'll probably even wait for the 2019 to give them time to hopefully iron out a few kinks. I'm also hoping there will be a color or two along the lines of Anvil, Rhino, Tank or Gobi.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
I agree 100%. I go through cars way too quickly, and one of reasons I’m getting a JL is because I’m certain it’s a car I won’t get bored of after a year. If I bought a JK I’d be buying a JL six months from now :cwl:

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yeah, he was essentially impatient. He got financing for the JK and wasn't able to get a firm date on when the JL would be available. He claimed he didn't want to go through the pre-qualification process twice by waiting for JLs to hit the lots, but that's on him for submitting any information to a dealership in the first place.

He doesn't make any case as to why the JK should be a consideration over a JL. So, I'll do it for him:
  • If you're looking for something to use exclusively for wheeling, the JK is just as capable as a JL. All the crawling they did at the JL press event in Arizona with the Rubicons can easily be done in a JK.
  • If you don't care for creature comforts at all, the JK has them, but in minimal proportions.
  • The JK is dated, yes, but it still looks good. Hell, the TJ still looks good today.
  • If your budget doesn't allow for a $50k+ Rubicon, a base JK Rubicon around $37k with virtually the same mechanical features will suffice. (I have no idea what JKs will be discounted to as they're still ridiculously priced high right now.)
  • The Willy's Wheeler is still the best non-Rubi appearance package for the Wrangler... until the JL has one.
  • Some people don't care what kind of Wrangler they get so long as they have one. They just want the vehicle and its name. They don't care about mods, tops, lockers, bumpers, UConnect-this, or Selec-Trac that. They just want a Wrangler. For those people, the JK will work just fine.

Advertisement

Motor City Aftermarket

Advertisement