Buying a jeep out of State in MA

steve65

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just got my new JL Rubicon a week ago and couldn’t be happier with the service. I ordered it from Leon Travis and Criswell in Gaithersburg MD and he was amazing. Super easy no haggle just mention JL forums and sign up for tread lightly for $100 or Access Fund for $35 (both offering the same savings for a FCA Affiliate) and he offered straight up 9% below invoice with finance, 7% without. Leon offered up to 9% after the promotion was over the 1 st week in January 2020 from our previous conversations. Since I am from MA and this state is a PITA for titling and insurance an out of state purchase, I opted to buy cash so I only got 7%. Leon and the whole team there was great , friendly knowledgeable and very attentive. I’d recommend anyone who is looking for a new jeep drop Leon a line (mobile/text 202-557-0032 or his email [email protected] directly). Honestly I was looking at 2 year old Rubicons with ~15K miles on them for more money so it was a no brainer to buy from Criswell. Also for anyone wanting to buy in MA here is what I learned:

1) Mass does not recognize temporary plates so you can’t insure a vehicle unless it’s got a permanent Mass plate, however, you can transfer a plate form any insured vehicle you own to the new vehicle and be covered by insurance. You then have 7 days to get it registered and officially transfer the tags. So in principle you could pick up the car and drive home, however, there is a wrinkle...the dealership won’t release the car unless you can prove insurance and taxes paid. Criswell offered to pay taxes on a separate check to keep things clean so I could get a reimbursement from the state once I paid in Mass but it seemed like a pain so I just opted to go the cash route

2) in Mass you need to register the car before you can get insurance. If you want your insurance company to get the registration for you, they need the original title if the car is titled or certificate of origin if the car is new and has not been titled. I was told that if I wanted to go to the registry myself I could probably get by with a copy but I didn’t try it. This happens in one day so once you get the paperwork its fast. I didn’t explore what would happen if you bought by financing but I was told it would be difficult because the bank holds the title and it would be hard to get it back to do the registration....seemed iffy to me so I didn’t go that route, but I’d recommend starting way in advance if you wanted to try financing; at least at my insurance company seems no one knows for sure how to do
Sponsored

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
We can get 5% from the invoice near Boston if interested, and I bet if we can organize 5+ 6% will be possible with no financing. PM if you want group buys within 2-3 weeks.

I'm planning on ordering 2020 JL Rubicon soon.

Just got my new JL Rubicon a week ago and couldn’t be happier with the service. I ordered it from Leon Travis and Criswell in Gaithersburg MD and he was amazing. Super easy no haggle just mention JL forums and sign up for tread lightly for $100 or Access Fund for $35 (both offering the same savings for a FCA Affiliate) and he offered straight up 9% below invoice with finance, 7% without. Leon offered up to 9% after the promotion was over the 1 st week in January 2020 from our previous conversations. Since I am from MA and this state is a PITA for titling and insurance an out of state purchase, I opted to buy cash so I only got 7%. Leon and the whole team there was great , friendly knowledgeable and very attentive. I’d recommend anyone who is looking for a new jeep drop Leon a line (mobile/text 202-557-0032 or his email [email protected] directly). Honestly I was looking at 2 year old Rubicons with ~15K miles on them for more money so it was a no brainer to buy from Criswell. Also for anyone wanting to buy in MA here is what I learned:

1) Mass does not recognize temporary plates so you can’t insure a vehicle unless it’s got a permanent Mass plate, however, you can transfer a plate form any insured vehicle you own to the new vehicle and be covered by insurance. You then have 7 days to get it registered and officially transfer the tags. So in principle you could pick up the car and drive home, however, there is a wrinkle...the dealership won’t release the car unless you can prove insurance and taxes paid. Criswell offered to pay taxes on a separate check to keep things clean so I could get a reimbursement from the state once I paid in Mass but it seemed like a pain so I just opted to go the cash route

2) in Mass you need to register the car before you can get insurance. If you want your insurance company to get the registration for you, they need the original title if the car is titled or certificate of origin if the car is new and has not been titled. I was told that if I wanted to go to the registry myself I could probably get by with a copy but I didn’t try it. This happens in one day so once you get the paperwork its fast. I didn’t explore what would happen if you bought by financing but I was told it would be difficult because the bank holds the title and it would be hard to get it back to do the registration....seemed iffy to me so I didn’t go that route, but I’d recommend starting way in advance if you wanted to try financing; at least at my insurance company seems no one knows for sure how to do

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
if we can get 6% near Boston, I could not imagine your travel and pain worth it ( don't forget about train tickets, gas wasted plus our time also worth something), let's start running the list of NE people who are willing to get into a group buy soon around April-May order date ( I would say after COVID will settle down ).

+1 - 2020 JLUR 2 DOOR

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’d be interested in learning more and understanding final price for my desired Jeep.

Sahara, V6, auto, sky one touch, cold weather, proximity, LED, running board

Sponsored

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
1 - 2020 JLUR 2 DOOR
2 - 2020 Sahara 4 DOOR

We need about 6+ cars in one batch and we will be able to negotiate something locally in Boston for a min of 7+% off invoice ( I would say even more if COVID will be around for 2+ months with all economy on shutdown)!

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mean to be rude, but you might consider a bit more research before you strike a deal.

It's been a while, but with the 2019 numbers, 5% below invoice puts you at $42,700 with Proximity (Before MA taxes, title, license). If you can do 9%, that's more like $40,900. That's why people recommend Criswell (when flying is an option). I spent about $70 in gas, plus $150 (CC points) on airfare, plus my time to save over a grand.

I'd also consider that the factory order schedule might be severely delayed due to quarantine.

You very well could get a great deal in MA. Or a group buy. However the strength of the forum is that you can fact check "the lowest deal you'll get anywhere" pretty quickly. Good Luck!

Edit: You cross posted, responded here because it's about MA. Anyways hope this helps.

and to O.P. Congrats on the purchase!!!!

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I purchased a Porsche out of a dealer in Mass in December and kinda ran into some similar issues. I was able to insure the car no problem with Progressive with no tags on it, but the dealer did all the paperwork via a service called Maverick that handled calculating and paying the registration/taxes in Texas. When the car arrived via transport in Texas, I took it to one of their dealer group stores down here that did the Texas inspection and gave me temporary Texas tags while the registration/title work was being done here. I had my plates about 3 weeks later along with the receipt for taxes paid. The key was having Maverick do all the heavy lifting on the out of state work. It was painless.
Sponsored