kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
Hey party people!
Excuse the noob post, but I was hoping to get some advice. I have never had a wrangler, but have always wanted one. I am finally in a position to be able to snatch one up and want to make sure I get everything right. I figured you fine folk might be able to help.

Here are features I am pretty sure about getting.

Xtreme Recon 35" tire package.
Black piece hard top.
Stitched leather black seats.
8.4" display sound system with alpine speakers.
Trailer package.
LED lighting group.

Here is what I am considering getting: (opinions on whether any of these are worth it or not are welcome).

Doors-off mirror kit.
Heavy duty rock slider with step assist.
Gorilla glass.
Remote proximity keyless entry.
Advanced safety group (leaning towards no on this).

Does the xtreme recon package also add a 1.5" lift? I definitely want it lifted some ... the more the better really. But I would just as soon have it come lifted than do it after market. Advice on this?
I also considered the steel bumper, but figured there are much better after market bumpers. I will eventually add a winch also.
Last thing, I really like the look on wrangler when the tires are bumped out from the frame a bit. Are there just spacers added to make this happen? Are there any issues with doing this?

I appreciate any feedback and help.

Stay salty.
Sponsored

SirDapperDom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Wrangler Sport, 1990 240sx Hatch
Can chime in here on the Remote Proximity entry. Get it. It's so much more convenient when you have bags in your hand to just keep you key on your hip or in your pocket. $795 is a small price to pay for convenience.

Advanced Safety Pkg: Do you do a lot of hwy driving/commuting? Yes? Get it. No? Don't. Pretty simple there.

All the options you are "pretty sure" getting I also debated, but went with as well minus the stitched leather seat. I am happy with my purchase.

Hope this helps!

Maller

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito!
Doors-off mirror kit.
Gorilla glass.

Stay salty.
Proximity is worth the price...it's beyond convenient with kids / bags / dogs along with just normal every day getting in and locking on the way out.

Advanced safety - save your money. We have it on my '19 but opted not to get it on my wife's '21. Mine would randomly go off and dead stop the Jeep with no obstacle. It's been off for well over a year.

SirDapperDom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Wrangler Sport, 1990 240sx Hatch
Proximity is worth the price...it's beyond convenient with kids / bags / dogs along with just normal every day getting in and locking on the way out.

Advanced safety - save your money. We have it on my '19 but opted not to get it on my wife's '21. Mine would randomly go off and dead stop the Jeep with no obstacle. It's been off for well over a year.
I thought I was alone in mine randomly going off and stopping the vehicle. Glad (or not glad) to see I'm not alone.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hey party people!
Excuse the noob post, but I was hoping to get some advice. I have never had a wrangler, but have always wanted one. I am finally in a position to be able to snatch one up and want to make sure I get everything right. I figured you fine folk might be able to help.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on beginning your journey. You're gonna love your Jeep, they're special vehicles.

I got the same and LOVE it!

Black piece hard top.
depending on where you live, you might look at getting the liner, apparently the hard tops get quite warm in hot sunny climates. I've always had soft tops and can't speak much too this but others may chime in for confirmation. I ended up getting it with my top to be safe as I live in Texas

if you are looking at the "quilted" leather seats be aware that they do not come with the other leather package features. Not a huge deal, but it's just the seat covers, not the cup holders, dash, etc.

this thing rocks!

Trailer package.
definitely worth it, for the auxiliary switches alone

LED lighting group.
good choice here too!

Here is what I am considering getting: (opinions on whether any of these are worth it or not are welcome).

Doors-off mirror kit.
Gorilla glass. (worth it! I think... the other glass is very fragile, I'm hoping this holds up)
Remote proximity keyless entry. (I ordered it based on suggestions here, and I'm not disappointed, makes it a truly keyless experience)
Advanced safety group (leaning towards no on this). (personal decision here)

Does the xtreme recon package also add a 1.5" lift? (yes!) I definitely want it lifted some ... the more the better really. But I would just as soon have it come lifted than do it after market. Advice on this?
It comes with a lot of stuff. 1.5" lift, 35" tires, HD axle tubes, 4.56 gears, iron steering knuckles, tailgate reinforcement, spare tire relocation bracket, upgraded brakes, etc. It's worth the price of entry. Anyone who tells you otherwise is missing something, or building a buggy.

I also considered the steel bumper, but figured there are much better after market bumpers. I will eventually add a winch also.
personal preference here, I got the factory steelies to give it a shot as I like the way they look. Time will tell how well they hold up. I think the front is sufficient, but the rear may be the downfall on this

Last thing, I really like the look on wrangler when the tires are bumped out from the frame a bit. Are there just spacers added to make this happen? Are there any issues with doing this?
The XR (Xtreme recon) package comes with wheels that push the tires out (4.4" BS) It allows clearance for larger tires without the use of wheel spacers (sketchy IMO) and provides the wider look.

Stay salty.
Always.

Bonus pic of my XR, when it was stock on delivery day ⬇

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying a 2022 JLUR 20210915_231158762_iOS

Sponsored

OP
OP
kilian73

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
Hey all, thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Jeepeto, what are the "liners" you talked about? I didn't see that on the jeep website.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Hey party people!

Black piece hard top.
Trailer package.
LED lighting group.

Doors-off mirror kit.
Gorilla glass.

Does the xtreme recon package also add a 1.5" lift? I definitely want it lifted some ... the more the better really. But I would just as soon have it come lifted than do it after market. Advice on this?

Stay salty.
I'm only replying because you said, "stay salty". I'd get a Sport-S because it doesn't sound like off-roading is really your main focus, but looks might be. I think a Sport-S with 3.5" lift and 35" tires on a/m wheels would serve you well and would be cheaper. Doesn't sound like you need upgraded brakes, axles, gearing, etc.

I didn't want the advanced safety group (seems like a lot of added complexity), remote proximity keyless entry (I have it and think it's lame, but the dealer said the order wouldn't go through without it), step assists seems more like a rock catcher with added complexity, doors off mirror kit should serve you well, as will Gorilla glass. I don't get the LED lighting or leather seats, they seem like complexity and added cost without added value. Also, the larger screen seems overkill and the Alpine is available with the 7" screen.

Why are you buying a four-door Wrangler. What is your intention?

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I have 2 vehicles. An old Camry (no proximity) and a new JLU (with proximity). I've never had a vehicle with proximity before and after reading the preferences of others on here, I made sure to get it.

Honestly, I don't see the hype and could've done without it. I guess I'm just so use to pulling out my keys and clicking the fob to unlock my door that the proximity seems overkill and not needed. But maybe that's just me.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Good insights already, but I'll add a couple. On the "optional" stuff - a good filter would be to do some research to see what's easy/possible to add later by yourself vs what's not.

1. Advanced Safety - I have it on mine and the Adaptive Cruise alone is worth it, IMO. I also do a lot of highway and use cruise as much as possible. This one really depends on "you". It's also one that's pretty hard/impossible to add later.
2. Bumper - if you plan to add a winch, I wouldn't get the factory steel. You have to add a winch plate to it, and the bumper itself is $$$. For approximately the same price, you'll have a TON more options on the aftermarket, and worst-case scenario, you can usually snag a factory steel on FB marketplace for ~$700-800 if you keep an eye out
3. Gorilla Glass and proximity, IMO, are no-brainers for the cost.
4. If you need to save some $$ on your build, skip the LED. You can easily add them later, and probably for a little cheaper.
5. I'd skip the stitched leather, personally. You're not going to be looking at the seats that much. Regular leather is really nice on the Wrangler.

The hardtop headliner is a pretty great option - it has a big impact on road noise, but also on keeping heat in (or out, depending on the weather). There's a 3rd party option called HotHeadz that's similar in price/quality.
Sponsored