Buying a 2018-2020 Jeep rubicon unlimited

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Hey all I’m looking to trade in my current car. (Vw golf) in the hopes of getting a Jeep Tupi on unlimited to do some adventuring. I been reading on the fourms and bit and I think I’ve scared myself with all of the steering related issues I’ve been seeing. Anything I should know about these cars or stay away from these? I’m looking to trade in my golf because it’s been a problem box, highway vibration and braking issues etc.
Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
You're probably better off getting a new one. Steering issues are fixed. Interest rates are usually better on new too.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I wouldn’t worry too much. If you plan on doing any modification to the suspension, I really wouldn’t worry. Proper selection of parts will keep you from having issues.
I came from a Jetta, and everything I test drove felt like bad steering. So if you test drive, don’t think it is a bad Jeep until you’ve driven a few. Live axles handle different. In hind-sight, one I drove probably had a bad box. It was the only 2 door rubicon I test drove so I chalked it up to live axles and offroad suspension. It was fun like a Mitsubishi Mirage is, so even though it was all over the road I was smiling. Glad I didn’t buy that particular one though.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2019, 2020, and 2021. The 2021 has substantially better steering and they may not warranty the steering box on the older ones.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I considered used until I found out that Wranglers are the slowest depreciating vehicle you can buy. One question, have you spent much time driving a Wrangler? You mentioned vibrations in your VW, the Wrangler ride / handling is much different than some people expect. Highway trips, especially when windy, are not what I would call relaxing.

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah definitely price out a new one too. Used prices are through the roof. Supposedly the private party price on my 2018 is more than the purchase price I negotiated back in 2018. No idea how that’s possible, but hey, why not?

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I bought a 'loaded 19 JLU Rubicon 2 months ago. A similar '19 Rubicon now would cost me at least $10k more; so consider buying new. The used car values are crazy right now.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'll echo the others - using the interactive order sheets on this forum, and estimating ~6% below invoice (which shouldn't be too hard right now), a brand new custom ordered Rubicon is approximately the same price (or less) than the used ones that I'm seeing online.

Also keep in mind that the 2022 order sheets are likely to drop in the next ~4-6 weeks.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
My 2020 has perfect steering, but as others have said, I hope you have deep pockets. New have long waits, and used are ridiculous. The online vroom, carvana, etc are offering me 5K more than I paid new for mine a year and 13K miles ago.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Hi Logan, if you get a used JL, you can have the steering box changed via TSB. It’s definitely worth doing. You might need longer LCAs (especially on a Rubicon), too.

Good advice to look at new. I ordered mine exactly how I want and still got the advertised deals.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've always bought vehicles 2-3 years old with ~30k miles on them to avoid the largest depreciation hit but that rule doesn't seem to apply to wranglers lol. I'll echo what others are saying and suggest looking at ordering a new vehicle through one of the recommended dealers on here, you'll be surprised!

OP
OP
Logan-Kn

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Hey all so I’ve taken your advice and I’m looking into new models, specifically the 2021 being the steering issue is fixed. Furthermore I’ve narrowed down the packages I want. The towing package for the aux switches, metal bumper for the removable sides, and leather seats.
Sponsored