Sponsored

Buying 2018 Wrangler JL under invoice?

jxr006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of BMW's + Jeep
"People" say not to buy the first year of a new model but is there really any evidence of there being more problems than second or third year models other than anecdotal evidence? Just because you heard of someone that had troubles doesn't mean they all have problems.

You're kidding right? 2017 JD Power Vehicle Dependability study.
Jeep has 209 problems per 100 cars sold. The only company worse is it's parent company Fiat. at 298 per 100.
Sponsored

Kentonator

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Freedom Edition
You're kidding right? 2017 JD Power Vehicle Dependability study.
Jeep has 209 problems per 100 cars sold. The only company worse is it's parent company Fiat. at 298 per 100.
Just to add a counterbalance, I bought a new Jeep Renegade 6-speed manual in March 2015, the first or second batch off the boat. Paid about $3K below sticker with military discount, which I think was at or below invoice. Had one minor issue in two years which the dealer fixed at no charge. My neighbor bought one two weeks later with auto trans and has had no problems.
Bought a new '17 JK Freedom edition in February and no issues so far. The local Jeep dealer here has a pretty decent service department (I know, right?).

Last edited:

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Exactly. Maybe during the production ramp up with more limited supply we'll see greedy dealers trying to price gouge. But after that as production hits full production there shouldn't be any reason why ppl should be getting ripped off. Especially considering production capacity will be higher for the JL than it ever was for the outgoing JK.
Question is how long before the line hits full production volume. According to the production timeline posted it'll be March 2018 by the time the full lineup of 2 and 4 door models with soft and hard tops (with 3.6L and 2.0L engines) are being produced at the same time. So we might see limited supply overall for 3-4 months after production starts in Nov.

jl-wrangler-timeline-by-jlwranglerforums-small-jpg.jpg

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
On my JK, I just emailed all the local dealerships with the list of options I wanted and a price of 3% under invoice. Two told me to come in and lets talk, two didn't reply and one said "we'll do that deal". And that was on a new order not a in stock vehicle so I know nothing was wrong with it. There is back end money that dealerships make so selling under invoice and they still make $500-1000 or more.

"People" say not to buy the first year of a new model but is there really any evidence of there being more problems than second or third year models other than anecdotal evidence? Just because you heard of someone that had troubles doesn't mean they all have problems.
Was this 3% under invoice including all the dealer fees and tax tag and title?