Sponsored

Buying 2018 Wrangler JL under invoice?

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
What are the odds of getting a new JL for under invoice.
Sponsored

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
Im also curious about this as I've never purchased a new vehicle much less a new body style. Maybe someone with experience can give us some insight.

Corduroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Cherokee
Can anyone confirm the tread lightly discount applies to all new first year vehicles too?

OP
OP
Ohwillyb

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking for around 3 to 5% off invoice for JLR wondered how possible this was. I know ppl have gotten this on cars from other brands.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
We have to wait and see if Tread Lightly will be applied towards the 2018 JL/JLU. As it doesn't work on SRT vehicles, so they do exempt it on some models and they might exempt the JL the first year since its newly launched.

jxr006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of BMW's + Jeep
What are the odds of getting a new JL for under invoice.

if you can get one for under invoice you don't want it.. meaning something seriously wrong with the car.

Having bought cars around new launches.. it's really tough.
also, you never want a first year car.. it'll be full of bugs. this isn't a german company.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
A good way to score an under-invoice price may be to check with the huge volume dealers who typically sell for under invoice. Koons in VA comes to mind. The largest volume dealers will also get the largest initial shipments of JL/JLU so they'll be more likely to deal.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
About invoice price btw... for those that don't know this -- even if a dealer sells you a car at or below invoice, they can still be making money because often times the dealers get further discounts on what it costs them to buy a car from the manufacturer. SO, don't ever feel bad for negotiating for invoice or below on your Wrangler!

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
The Tread lightly program is part of the Affiliate program. You may also already work for a company that falls into this program without having to pay the tread lightly membership fee. Some dealerships won't recognize the affiliates number but a good dealership will honor it. Basically that is 1% under invoice.

Sponsored

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
if you can get one for under invoice you don't want it.. meaning something seriously wrong with the car.

Having bought cars around new launches.. it's really tough.
also, you never want a first year car.. it'll be full of bugs. this isn't a german company.
On my JK, I just emailed all the local dealerships with the list of options I wanted and a price of 3% under invoice. Two told me to come in and lets talk, two didn't reply and one said "we'll do that deal". And that was on a new order not a in stock vehicle so I know nothing was wrong with it. There is back end money that dealerships make so selling under invoice and they still make $500-1000 or more.

"People" say not to buy the first year of a new model but is there really any evidence of there being more problems than second or third year models other than anecdotal evidence? Just because you heard of someone that had troubles doesn't mean they all have problems.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
"People" say not to buy the first year of a new model but is there really any evidence of there being more problems than second or third year models other than anecdotal evidence? Just because you heard of someone that had troubles doesn't mean they all have problems.
I have bought first year models of 2 Jeep vehicles and both were plagued with problems that many other people reported. I was a moderator on a JK forum and heard of many people who had similar issues.

2007 JK Rubicon/Steel Blue owned it for about 18 months before I traded for a 2008 JKU. Massive Freedom Top leaks. Jeep would just die upon initial movement sometimes. 5 recalls within a year.

2014 Jeep Cherokee Sport/Silver 6 recalls on the 9 spd auto tranny, wipers shorting out and multiple TCM problems, trans wiring harness. Got rid of it before it had a chance to die on me or I had to get a replacement transmission.

My 2008 JKU was much better after they worked the bugs out.

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
Costco car buying service is another possibility.

though when something new comes out and there's a shortage, expect dealers to be charging over MSRP and expect someone to be willing to pay that.

A.Papi.K

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX STI Limited Sedan
Occupation
Leasing Manager for Volkswagen.
Vehicle Showcase
Unless it's a special model, where very few are available a dealer shouldn't have an issue cutting some people a break. There's enough full pop suckers to go around.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Unless it's a special model, where very few are available a dealer shouldn't have an issue cutting some people a break. There's enough full pop suckers to go around.
Exactly. Maybe during the production ramp up with more limited supply we'll see greedy dealers trying to price gouge. But after that as production hits full production there shouldn't be any reason why ppl should be getting ripped off. Especially considering production capacity will be higher for the JL than it ever was for the outgoing JK.
Sponsored