Sponsored

BUYER BEWARE (Smittybilt Hard Top Hoist)

Has Extreme Terrain sold you a non compatible JL part?

• Total voters

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Buyer beware. I purchased a SmittyBilt electric hoist from Extreme Terrain for my 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara to remove my hardtop. I’m unable to use this model because it’s not compatible with my 2018JL. According to their website below it’s compatible for all Wranglers from ‘87-18’ YJ, TJ, JK, & JL. I contacted customer service and they confirmed that it is not compatible with my 2018JL and issued me a RMA to return the hoist. After paying to have it installed and including an electrician to run power to the hoist and now to have to pay someone to uninstall it so I can ship it back is ludicrous. I’m out of a lot of money because of their mistake. I purchased based on what I read before buying. Attached is a screen shot of their listing on their website.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-hardtop-hoist-8717all-manu-install.html

97FD524C-B8A4-4F55-92AF-45A13EB19229.png
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Notice that ExtremeTerrain.com is listing a lot of JK stuff as compatible with the JL and it isn't. I wouldnt buy anything from there based on their word. They list a soft top window storage back as working for the JK and JL but it definitely won't because of the built in corner pillar in the JL windows.

OP
OP
Kata

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Everyone needs to know that ExtremeTerrain.com is not a reliable source for JL parts. I’m sure they have some compatible parts for JL but after my experience I will never order from them again.

OP
OP
Kata

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Well here’s my proof that I was left with no other option but to pay to have my packaging prepared for shipment back to Extreme Terrain. I’m shipping back the non compatible JL part but based on Extreme Terrain website this is a confirmed compatible JL part. Here’s a screen shot of the compatible JL part I ordered. Smh never again.

6FB004C0-5021-4FFC-A117-BBCE61B22107.jpeg

94AB574B-9744-4512-8DF2-25A2F6D90A79.png

XTJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Social Media Community Coordinator
Buyer beware. I purchased a SmittyBilt electric hoist from Extreme Terrain for my 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara to remove my hardtop. I’m unable to use this model because it’s not compatible with my 2018JL. According to their website below it’s compatible for all Wranglers from ‘87-18’ YJ, TJ, JK, & JL. I contacted customer service and they confirmed that it is not compatible with my 2018JL and issued me a RMA to return the hoist. After paying to have it installed and including an electrician to run power to the hoist and now to have to pay someone to uninstall it so I can ship it back is ludicrous. I’m out of a lot of money because of their mistake. I purchased based on what I read before buying. Attached is a screen shot of their listing on their website.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-hardtop-hoist-8717all-manu-install.html

97FD524C-B8A4-4F55-92AF-45A13EB19229.png

Hey Kata,

I apologize that you purchased the hoist for your JL under the assumption from our site that it would fit. That was a mistake on our end with the product description and has since been remedied. While there are a lot of items that do cross over this is definitely not one of them and we'll be doing a full sweep through our site to make sure that this issue doesn't happen with any of our other products. I'll be the first one to tell you that I would be pretty upset as well since I am too and always have been a Jeep owner. That being said, I'll get you 100% taken care of.

Well here’s my proof that I was left with no other option but to pay to have my packaging prepared for shipment back to Extreme Terrain. I’m shipping back the non compatible JL part but based on Extreme Terrain website this is a confirmed compatible JL part. Here’s a screen shot of the compatible JL part I ordered. Smh never again.

6FB004C0-5021-4FFC-A117-BBCE61B22107.jpeg

94AB574B-9744-4512-8DF2-25A2F6D90A79.png
I want to make sure that you're compensated since you had to go through all of this trouble installing, uninstalling, and shipping the item back now without being able to take your hard-top off like you originally intended to. Do you mind providing me with your order number so I can get you squared away?

Again I apologize for the issue, but I'll absolutely make sure I get you squared away.

-Jake

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kata

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jake,
I sent you my order number via a PM. Thanks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
Kata

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
@Kata

Please keep us updated on this issue. Lots of us are watching..
Update...Jake from Extreme Terrain has reached out to me to help assist in returning the SmittyBilt Hoist and a speedy refund to my CC. I shipped the Hoist back to Extreme last Wednesday and as of today (Saturday) it has not arrived at their location. Extreme has offered me a credit for future purchases at extremeterrain.com for the inconvenience this has caused me. Once my refund is applied to my CC I’ll send an update. Thanks everyone for following my situation.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
They have a problem with getting things right. I asked about a bumper that was no longer showing on the website. They said it was discontinued but the manufacturer on here said it was not discontinued. I think the 2018 JK and 2018 JL is messing them up

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
My main gripe with them is showing parts available with even 3-5 days delivered and being a total lie. It's been almost 2 months since I ordered some rails/steps and they keep saying they're backordered but still show available and ready to ship. If I dont get them soon I'll cancel my order and go somewhere else.

Sponsored

XTJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
They have a problem with getting things right. I asked about a bumper that was no longer showing on the website. They said it was discontinued but the manufacturer on here said it was not discontinued. I think the 2018 JK and 2018 JL is messing them up
My apologies! Sounds like our rep you spoke to might've been misinformed. Which bumper were you looking for?

-Jake

XTJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
My main gripe with them is showing parts available with even 3-5 days delivered and being a total lie. It's been almost 2 months since I ordered some rails/steps and they keep saying they're backordered but still show available and ready to ship. If I dont get them soon I'll cancel my order and go somewhere else.
Hey Will,

Do you mind letting me know your order # either here or in a PM so I can take a look at your order and get this figured out for you?

Thanks!

-Jake

OP
OP
Kata

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hey Will,

Do you mind letting me know your order # either here or in a PM so I can take a look at your order and get this figured out for you?

Thanks!

-Jake
Update. All today I received my full refund for the Smittybilt Hardtop Hoist I returned. It should take 3-5 days to clear. I’ll send an update when that occurs. Thanks.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
You guys have to give Jake credit, I would buy from them just because of the way this was handled.

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
As a manager for an e-commerce company, I have to say, it's very difficult to keep track of all specs of every single item carried. A lot of it is copy / paste from other listings or vendor information which sometimes get it wrong, and things get mixed up. No business is happy to see that happen to customers, but good businesses will make it right if you give them a chance.

@will1111 On another note, a lot of online businesses will list product as "in stock" and have it drop shipped directly from a vendor or manufacturer. Sometime delays happen and it sucks, but it's the only way to stay competitive and reducing storage and overhead costs in such a tight industry.

Happy to see @XTJake is making his best efforts to accommodate those who feel wronged. I will keep XT in consideration for purchases in the near future.
Sponsored