Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So I posted this on exterior mods but nobody had an opinion lol

Hello everyone!

New to Jeep/4x4 and have not hit a trail yet. Mostly due to very busy work schedule and also Im still needing to meet up with locals and make some friends that will guide me and take me on some trails with them to teach me the ways.

That being said, I got my Rubicon with plastic bumpers and have just ordered the smitty XRC front and rears and also Westin Rail/Steps.

Im taking advantage of 4wheelparts no sales tax and Im looking at the Smitty winch as well:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...12/_/R-DSBP-98512?Line+Type_PQ=Synthetic+Rope

So again, trying to take advantage of pricing and such and since Im ordering the bumper to install, do it all at once.

Pro opinion...should I wait and get some experience? Should I go for it and learn as I go?
Sponsored

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
if you have the money .... why not.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
So again, trying to take advantage of pricing and such and since Im ordering the bumper to install, do it all at once.

Pro opinion...should I wait and get some experience? Should I go for it and learn as I go?
I'd second @citzen z that if you have the means no reason to wait. There are a few good threads on here about how to use a winch properly and safely.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I like how you guys easily persuade me and agree I should get everything I want. This whole forum is like the gf I never had! lol

Ordered, thanks guys!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Guess I'll disagree. If you don't know if you need a winch or not, you aren't nearly experienced enough and if you get one tomorrow and have to use it, it's because you are in way over your head.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's not astrophysics. The difference between needing a winch and not needing a winch can be an inch of tire placement or not seeing the mud or anticipating the situation correctly. Experienced wheelers miss things too. That's why they have a winch. Winches aren't just for experienced wheelers. An inexperienced wheeler may end up needing one more. Its the same question about any of the recovery equipment. Put together a recovery kit. What goes into the kit is somewhat subjective, but some things are obvious. A snatch strap, shovel, jack are pretty foundational as is the winch. Get the winch.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A winch is a complete waste of money until you need one, then it's priceless.
Exactly. And you will never know if you cheaped out too much on a winch until it doesn't work when you need it sometime down the road.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
It's not astrophysics. The difference between needing a winch and not needing a winch can be an inch of tire placement or not seeing the mud or anticipating the situation correctly. Experienced wheelers miss things too. That's why they have a winch. Winches aren't just for experienced wheelers. An inexperienced wheeler may end up needing one more. Its the same question about any of the recovery equipment. Put together a recovery kit. What goes into the kit is somewhat subjective, but some things are obvious. A snatch strap, shovel, jack are pretty foundational as is the winch. Get the winch.
This is sort of where I was going in my head. I want to get experience and Ill be putting myself out there on some trails. I cant get stuck and have amazon prime deliver one on the fly while Im stuck. Granted, i should be going out with others as well. Just want to be prepared for anything.

Thanks all for advice!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In Florida, I'd sure have some of those plastic traction pad thingies.
Sponsored