Sponsored

Buy now or wait for the Diesel?

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
So I've gone off and sold My JK yesterday! my wife is so pissed! having to not wave is killing her . and I'm sure all theses jeepers are like Why is this woman staring at me ! lol we bought a Junker car for her work because she was using the JK and tacking on the miles and that shit had to stop. So a little 4 banger purchase was done. Now we are working up numbers with the recommended dealers and scratching our heads DIESEL news ? need more info ...so what would you guys do Wait it out or trade up later for the Diesel? do you think its this close I know some codes are apparently confirmed but what does that mean time frame wise ? thanks for any opinions ….Maniac
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So I've gone off and sold My JK yesterday! my wife is so pissed! having to not wave is killing her . and I'm sure all theses jeepers are like Why is this woman staring at me ! lol we bought a Junker car for her work because she was using the JK and tacking on the miles and that shit had to stop. So a little 4 banger purchase was done. Now we are working up numbers with the recommended dealers and scratching our heads DIESEL news ? need more info ...so what would you guys do Wait it out or trade up later for the Diesel? do you think its this close I know some codes are apparently confirmed but what does that mean time frame wise ? thanks for any opinions ….Maniac
No one knows at this point. There is a forum member who supposedly works on the engine line. He would probably be the one who would know when they are in production.

millsra13

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am waiting. With the new order codes that Jay posted, it looks like we might be able to order as soon as Oct 10th. That also coincides with what the guy who works the engine line said (they will start building diesels Oct/Nov timeframe) Ive had three jeeps previous and I've always been disappointed with the lack of power (especially with bigger tires, going up hills, interstate driving, etc.) 440+ ft lbs of torque would be awesome!

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Lord-Maniac; I bought my JLU Sport S at the end of June with the intent on trading it in for an upgrade later. My idea is to trade mine in in 2020 or 2021 on a diesel JLUR. I can’t remember reading anywhere as to whether or not the diesel will be a gen 1 or gen 2 version, but I figure giving it a year or two should give them time to work out any bugs that may present themselves. If they start production around Oct/Nov, it’ll definitely be worth a test drive...

OP
OP
Lord-Maniac

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
I am waiting. With the new order codes that Jay posted, it looks like we might be able to order as soon as Oct 10th. That also coincides with what the guy who works the engine line said (they will start building diesels Oct/Nov timeframe) Ive had three jeeps previous and I've always been disappointed with the lack of power (especially with bigger tires, going up hills, interstate driving, etc.) 440+ ft lbs of torque would be awesome!
sense oct 10th is so close I will have to wait at least this long come on Diesel

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lord-Maniac

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
@Lord-Maniac; I bought my JLU Sport S at the end of June with the intent on trading it in for an upgrade later. My idea is to trade mine in in 2020 or 2021 on a diesel JLUR. I can’t remember reading anywhere as to whether or not the diesel will be a gen 1 or gen 2 version, but I figure giving it a year or two should give them time to work out any bugs that may present themselves. If they start production around Oct/Nov, it’ll definitely be worth a test drive...
this is a very good option that has been around the dinner table here as well

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I would not hold out for the diesel. Who knows when they will actually start cranking them out?
I am still holding out for the Sky One-Touch Power Top. I knew I wanted it 877 days ago before we could order it. Then Jeep postponed the ORDER date several times to June 8. Now they keep pushing production back. They last projection puts my order at 118 days after the June 8 order date.
I have been driving a Chevy trailblazer since July.
The other option is to order both. If your configuration is fairly normal, some dealer will be cool with taking the diesel from you, since you will receive it before they can.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Do you use your Jeep for short trips? Any desire for manual transmission? Will you tow something huge with it (you're going to be limited by the suspension before you come close to drivetrain limits, anyway)?

Personally, I use my Jeep as a DD in stop and go commuter traffic as well as for weekend fun. I've no use for a more expensive diesel, and no desire to deal with the extra maintenance or to be a guinea pig for a new platform. More than all that, though, I had to have a manual.

If you need a diesel, you should get one. If the idea of owning one just sounds cool, pass.

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)
Each to their own but i hate the smell of diesel :puke:
Sponsored