James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Hey folks

Not sure if anyone else has been dealing with ongoing radio problems.
I would love to hear if you are, as well thoughts on how much BS you would take before going nuclear on FCA.

I ordered / purchased my JLUR last year, I ordered it with every option (somehow did not get heated seats) current build just over $100k all in!

Right away I purchased the in car WiFi, why? I have eight phones on my business account and had to limited the amount of data per month for the entire account to save on cost. Anyone who burns through the data for the month is fined and has to pay the extra fees for going over on the data. It was the only way I could stop the data hogs who kept sucking up all of the data. All they have to do is connect to WiFi and problem solved.
The only problem with this type of account is if someone does burns through all of our data, no one can connect to the internet without WiFi.
The AT&T plan is really cheap at $20 per month unlimited for the in car WiFi.
I’m gone every month for a week on an off road camping trip. My in car WiFi is a must or I’m the one who ends up using up all the data and the other 7 phones on my account can not connect to the internet without WiFi.

Within 6 months of owning my JLUR my WiFi would say incorrect password and would not connect. Take it to the dealership, they reset it and it would work for awhile.
The next thing the radio would do after losing WiFi connection is, turns on and off on its own, blue screen, no backup camera. Dealership orders replacement radio, took over a month to get the radio. The whole time no in car WiFi.

Get Jeep back, my AT&T will not connect, call AT&T, they say they need the esin number for the new radio. The dealership says they don’t have it, we go round and round for two weeks until AT&T says oh, it is in our system, connects my account and than turns it off again for nonpayment, yet it’s on auto pay! Uhhhhhhh!

After going rounds with AT&T again, I prepay at a much higher rate for 2 years, auto payment solved, Right?

My radio started acting up again with not being able to connect to WiFi while on an off road trip, guess who burned through the data? ME! I was unable to reply to clients because I did not have internet. Everyone else on my account could only use their phones if connected to a WiFi. Everyone pissed at me!

Now I’m really pissed off, get home and the WiFi starts working again! Uggg, if it is working the dealership will not be able to find the problem. A week later WiFi stops, this time the radio freaks out, the radio is stuck on at 3/4 volume, none of the controls worked, turn vehicle off, open door, radio shuts off and back on killing my battery!

Take to dealership again. They reset the radio and order a replacement, within two days of them resetting the radio WiFi stops.
New radio comes in 8 days later, dealership installs it, no WiFi because AT&T says they do not have the eisn number. After spending two and a half hours on the phone with them we were able to put the radio into dealer mode and get them the number they needed, AT&T says 24-48 hours before the WiFi will work, if it works at all without me calling them a dozen more times! As of 24 hours later still no WiFi, locked out of my account online.
My satellite subscription is not connected.

At what point of being a reasonable person do I go nuclear and force a buy back?
I clearly love my Jeep considering the amount of upgrades and funds I have spent on it.
At some point I’ll have to force a buy back
What would you do?

@JeepCares
Sponsored

O'Doyle

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Digital Customer Service Manager
It honestly sounds like an more frustration with AT&T than with FCA. Depending on your states lemon laws you could push for a buyback but in know in Ohio, this would not even be remotely considered.

Hope you get your Radio fixed. Could always upgrade to the new Alpine when they release it (soon supposedly)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Sounds like you need to get AT&T to fix whatever it is. It sounds like it had nothing to do with your factory radio. It is all WiFi, which your build sheet does not have listed, therefore no "buyback". Better get with AT&T and have them get their shit straight.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
It honestly sounds like an more frustration with AT&T than with FCA. Depending on your states lemon laws you could push for a buyback but in know in Ohio, this would not even be remotely considered.

Hope you get your Radio fixed. Could always upgrade to the new Alpine when they release it (soon supposedly)
Hey
Thanks for the reply
The last two radio would turn on, off, blue screen, no backup camera, freeze on at 3/4 volume, no controls would work, come back on, on its own after vehicle turned off and open door, because of this it killed the battery because no way to turn the radio off.
Everything seems to start with the WiFi saying incorrect password, I’m on my third radio.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Sounds like you need to get AT&T to fix whatever it is. It sounds like it had nothing to do with your factory radio. It is all WiFi, which your build sheet does not have listed, therefore no "buyback". Better get with AT&T and have them get their shit straight.
Hey
Thanks for the reply
The last two radio would turn on, off, blue screen, no backup camera, freeze on at 3/4 volume, no controls would work, come back on, on its own after vehicle turned off and open door, because of this it killed the battery because no way to turn the radio off.
Everything seems to start with the WiFi saying incorrect password, I’m on my third radio.

Thoughts?

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
AT&T is ridiculous, especially when a non-phone device (that they didn't sell) is involved..
Billing, plans and even connectivity have always been a HUGE pain in the a$$.. Always in their favor..
Replacing the radio changes the device therefore you have to go back to AT&T..
Buyback for a clearcut radio issue has happened, but this is involving a service offered by a third party.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
AT&T is ridiculous, especially when a non-phone device (that they didn't sell) is involved..
Billing, plans and even connectivity have always been a HUGE pain in the a$$.. Always in their favor..
Replacing the radio changes the device therefore you have to go back to AT&T..
Buyback for a clearcut radio issue has happened, but this is involving a service offered by a third party.
Hey

I’m on the third radio, the problem always starts with no WiFi connection, from there on, off on, blue screen, no backup camera, frozen radio at 3/4 volume, none of the controls will work, turn off vehicle, open door, radio goes off than back on and will not turn off killing the battery.

The AT&T is just another headache every time I have it replaced.

Thoughts

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Hey

I’m on the third radio, the problem always starts with no WiFi connection, from there on, off on, blue screen, no backup camera, frozen radio at 3/4 volume, none of the controls will work, turn off vehicle, open door, radio goes off than back on and will not turn off killing the battery.

The AT&T is just another headache every time I have it replaced.

Thoughts
Having been through a buyback for "computer related issues" I can tell you that everything is deeply integrated with MULTIPLE computers and controllers (like most modern vehicles)
In your case I would suspect there is more than just the radio seeing as it's been replaced multiple times (possibly BCM or other faulty device or harness.) Sorry can't be of more assistance..

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My gf had a Camry buy back because of a bad radio. They tried to fix it several times. Finally bought it back. That was before us so don't know details. We are in NJ. It was not too long ago. XM worked ok but she couldn't get radio stations.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Having been through a buyback for "computer related issues" I can tell you that everything is deeply integrated with MULTIPLE computers and controllers (like most modern vehicles)
In your case I would suspect there is more than just the radio seeing as it's been replaced multiple times (possibly BCM or other faulty device or harness.) Sorry can't be of more assistance..
Hey
Thanks for the insight
I asked the dealership if there is a wiring loom or something else that could be causing this.
The last time everything went nuts I was following google maps, phone connected to Apple car play, radio froze, froze my phone, had to turn phone off and on to get my gps maps to work, missed my turn off.
I was late to my appointment with a client, on the way home it did it again, I videoed what it was doing. The radio would not turn off, next morning had to jump start my Jeep to get me to the dealership
Can you imagine being on an off road trip in a remote place where only a 4x4 could get to and your battery goes dead?

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hey
Thanks for the reply

Thoughts?
I'm no help there. I guess if your dealer is willing to help you, keep at it. It just sounds like there is a gremlin lose in there:like: I'd seriously just keep working with your dealer. You could always push for the buyback, but again, I'd work with your dealer to get this accomplished. I wouldn't be to hateful, but I'd be stern with what you expect. Good luck:like:

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I'm no help there. I guess if your dealer is willing to help you, keep at it. It just sounds like there is a gremlin lose in there:like: I'd seriously just keep working with your dealer. You could always push for the buyback, but again, I'd work with your dealer to get this accomplished. I wouldn't be to hateful, but I'd be stern with what you expect. Good luck:like:
Hey
Thanks, I have been really good to work with at the dealership. They are frustrated as much as I am with this problem. The GM brought up the buy back, he was saying this is ridiculous that I’m having to keep coming back for the same problem. When I showed him the video he was speechless. When I told him it killed my battery, he said let them have it for a week or two to see if they can track down the cause.
Thanks again!

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Hey
Thanks, I have been really good to work with at the dealership. They are frustrated as much as I am with this problem. The GM brought up the buy back, he was saying this is ridiculous that I’m having to keep coming back for the same problem. When I showed him the video he was speechless. When I told him it killed my battery, he said let them have it for a week or two to see if they can track down the cause.
Thanks again!
It truly sounds like there's a lot more going on than just the radio: the radio is probably just the focal point that you notice since that is what you are concentrating on. As others have said, it sounds like it is much more, could be the BCM, other computer components, a loose wire or shorted piece of the wiring harness: a wire got pinched during assembly....and on and on.

If the dealer has it a week and there is still no resolution, then yes, I would gently but firmly insist on a buyback and get into a newer Jeep.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks

Not sure if anyone else has been dealing with ongoing radio problems.
I would love to hear if you are, as well thoughts on how much BS you would take before going nuclear on FCA.

I ordered / purchased my JLUR last year, I ordered it with every option (somehow did not get heated seats) current build just over $100k all in!

Right away I purchased the in car WiFi, why? I have eight phones on my business account and had to limited the amount of data per month for the entire account to save on cost. Anyone who burns through the data for the month is fined and has to pay the extra fees for going over on the data. It was the only way I could stop the data hogs who kept sucking up all of the data. All they have to do is connect to WiFi and problem solved.
The only problem with this type of account is if someone does burns through all of our data, no one can connect to the internet without WiFi.
The AT&T plan is really cheap at $20 per month unlimited for the in car WiFi.
I’m gone every month for a week on an off road camping trip. My in car WiFi is a must or I’m the one who ends up using up all the data and the other 7 phones on my account can not connect to the internet without WiFi.

Within 6 months of owning my JLUR my WiFi would say incorrect password and would not connect. Take it to the dealership, they reset it and it would work for awhile.
The next thing the radio would do after losing WiFi connection is, turns on and off on its own, blue screen, no backup camera. Dealership orders replacement radio, took over a month to get the radio. The whole time no in car WiFi.

Get Jeep back, my AT&T will not connect, call AT&T, they say they need the esin number for the new radio. The dealership says they don’t have it, we go round and round for two weeks until AT&T says oh, it is in our system, connects my account and than turns it off again for nonpayment, yet it’s on auto pay! Uhhhhhhh!

After going rounds with AT&T again, I prepay at a much higher rate for 2 years, auto payment solved, Right?

My radio started acting up again with not being able to connect to WiFi while on an off road trip, guess who burned through the data? ME! I was unable to reply to clients because I did not have internet. Everyone else on my account could only use their phones if connected to a WiFi. Everyone pissed at me!

Now I’m really pissed off, get home and the WiFi starts working again! Uggg, if it is working the dealership will not be able to find the problem. A week later WiFi stops, this time the radio freaks out, the radio is stuck on at 3/4 volume, none of the controls worked, turn vehicle off, open door, radio shuts off and back on killing my battery!

Take to dealership again. They reset the radio and order a replacement, within two days of them resetting the radio WiFi stops.
New radio comes in 8 days later, dealership installs it, no WiFi because AT&T says they do not have the eisn number. After spending two and a half hours on the phone with them we were able to put the radio into dealer mode and get them the number they needed, AT&T says 24-48 hours before the WiFi will work, if it works at all without me calling them a dozen more times! As of 24 hours later still no WiFi, locked out of my account online.
My satellite subscription is not connected.

At what point of being a reasonable person do I go nuclear and force a buy back?
I clearly love my Jeep considering the amount of upgrades and funds I have spent on it.
At some point I’ll have to force a buy back
What would you do?

@JeepCares
I'm just amazed you spent $100K on your build..... Solid gold interior??? I guess it could get up that high, just amazed.
Also, Keep working with your dealer, sounds like they are with you.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Sorry, i didnt read the whole post @James . I was stuck on the 100k, and forgot the heated seats. What in the world cost that much, on a Wrangler????
Now, yesterday, I saw a Lamborgini Urus, SUV. That was expensive, and the soccer mom who drove it can do the 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec, and top out at 190 mph.
I think her husband has more money, than financial brains. Then again she does have the fastest grocery getter around. It can blow the doors off all the Mercedes AMG SUV's and Porsche SUV's around here. Those AMGs and Porsche s are just too common.
What can a 100k JLUR do, that a 50k JLUR can't???
Sponsored