Sponsored

Buy a 19 JLR V6 or wait for the '20 Turbo?

OP
OP
Hudson

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I decided to wait.

I have two offers on MY19 JLR 3.6, one loaded at 6% off invoice, the other specd most of what I want at 5% off invoice, but I know I can do an MY20 order at 6% off invoice, so worth it to wait and test. Plus, I’ll get exactly what I want either way,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If longevity is a concern, why are you considering a rubicon? There’s a lot more to go wrong on a rubicon compared to a sport.
I bought the 2.0 because it was so much more responsive compared to the v6. And while it is complicated, it doesn’t seem over complicated, and in a few years it will be old tech that anyone can work on.
The BSG makes it a contender, without it, there’s big low end power loss.
I totally agree with the fact the 2.0 is more responsive. I traded my 2018 JL Sahara with the 3.6 for a 2019 JL Sahara 2.0 and I can sure tell the difference. The only draw back to the 2.0 is it requires premium unleaded which is quite a bit more in price however the gas mileage should help offset this. I've only had the 2019 a week so only time will tell.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
2.0's have a $1,000 dealer cash and that says a lot. People don't want the 2.0 unless you just want it for around town and camping.

Phillip5050

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2.0's have a $1,000 dealer cash and that says a lot. People don't want the 2.0 unless you just want it for around town and camping.
All it says is that people don't want to spend an extra 1k for the engine over the 3.6L. For 2020 the turbo is 1k cheaper than the 3.6L with the automatic so I'm sure there will be significantly more 2.0's.

Sponsored

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
i have a 19 JLUR 2.0 and my wife an 18 JLR 3.6 we each have a 50 mile round trip commute mostly 55 mph zone and an almost 2000' elevation gain.... my wife avgs 24 and change mpg... i avg 24 mpg i have a little heavier foot.... have not road tripped my JLUR without a trailer and rtt.... so i cant give you accurate mileage.... but on those trips.... i get about 16 mpg doing 75... adn 21 mpg with just tent on a back roads road trip... but on an 8 hour trip in wifes JLR roughly 70-75 whole time we got 23 mpg... IMO id stick with the 3.6.... i dont see the benefit really of the 2.0

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Well, I decided to wait.

I have two offers on MY19 JLR 3.6, one loaded at 6% off invoice, the other specd most of what I want at 5% off invoice, but I know I can do an MY20 order at 6% off invoice, so worth it to wait and test. Plus, I’ll get exactly what I want either way,

Thanks for all the feedback.
That’s up to you. You have to remember, generally new model years are also more expensive than the previous. Also, are you itching to get he vehicle right away?

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
All it says is that people don't want to spend an extra 1k for the engine over the 3.6L. For 2020 the turbo is 1k cheaper than the 3.6L with the automatic so I'm sure there will be significantly more 2.0's.
When we're building $60K Jeeps and then adding another $5-10K in upgrade parts I highly doubt the $1K price upcharge is the reason for slow sales.

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
When we're building $60K Jeeps and then adding another $5-10K in upgrade parts I highly doubt the $1K price upcharge is the reason for slow sales.
All I have to say is I drove both and own a 2013 Rubicon with the 3.6L that my son drives and I just thought the 2.0L was quieter, impressive torque and smoother. Truth be told am I going to take my 67k Rubicon in rough stuff, no BUT it does make it off-road... However, it does spend most of it's time on-road in town, but I would dare say the majority of everyone's Jeep with exception does the same... So I just say everyone drive both and pick the one you like the best. So far so good, but I have very little faith that a Jeep can be "Lexus" reliable no matter how you spec one... I drive a Jeep because I love the uniqueness of it...

OP
OP
Hudson

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
That’s up to you. You have to remember, generally new model years are also more expensive than the previous. Also, are you itching to get he vehicle right away?
I am itching to drive a Jeep today, but patient to wait and get the one I really want. I have 3-5 months before my youngest gets my current daily driver and I need something new.

On a $50k rig, I want it just right - I prefer keeping my vehicles mostly stock, and I am unlikely to lift, add bigger tires, or do any extensive mods to this rig, so it needs to be as ordered. The new Turbo intrigues me just enough to want to wait and try it out.

As an aside, there doesn't seem to be any lack of deals or inability to get 5-6% under invoice if I am patient and especially if I am willing to travel. My last vehicle purchases were "fly and drives". I really like picking up a car and driving it 500-1000 miles back home - helps me slow down and enjoy the ride during engine break-in, and never a bad time was had. My all-time favorite was picking up a Mini Cooper S when less than 150 of them were in the US at the time, and doing a 3600 mile trip home, through Utah, AZ, CA, and OR with my 6 month son and wife. Epic 2 week trip, and the Mini was super popular at every stop. I sold that car 3 years later with 35000 miles for $500 less than it cost me.

I recently did a 1600 mile trip in a 1970 Porsche 914-6 I purchased in CA, which had zero creature comforts - no air, no heat, no side windows, no carpet, no radio, sitting in racing buckets with a 6pt harness and a roll cage, in July during one of the hottest weeks last year. Epic road trip with my oldest son, and not a single mechanical issue!

It would be fantastic to pick up the Jeep and do an epic road trip home! I'm trying to convince a good friend who also wants a Jeep to go doubles with me at a dealership for a great deal, then do an awesome road trip back home.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I traded in an FJ Cruiser with the 4.0 6 cylinder, for a 2018 2.0T with ESS and BSG. I live in the country; it’s a 20-mile haul one-way, into the city. I’m averaging 25+ MPG, with the city/rural driving. I’m in Florida where it is pretty hot. When on the interstate I travel at 80 MPH and average 23 MPG at that speed. The temps are all within tolerance, even at that speed in this heat.

My Jeep has far more power than my FJ, with much better MPG.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I am itching to drive a Jeep today, but patient to wait and get the one I really want. I have 3-5 months before my youngest gets my current daily driver and I need something new.

On a $50k rig, I want it just right - I prefer keeping my vehicles mostly stock, and I am unlikely to lift, add bigger tires, or do any extensive mods to this rig, so it needs to be as ordered. The new Turbo intrigues me just enough to want to wait and try it out.

As an aside, there doesn't seem to be any lack of deals or inability to get 5-6% under invoice if I am patient and especially if I am willing to travel. My last vehicle purchases were "fly and drives". I really like picking up a car and driving it 500-1000 miles back home - helps me slow down and enjoy the ride during engine break-in, and never a bad time was had. My all-time favorite was picking up a Mini Cooper S when less than 150 of them were in the US at the time, and doing a 3600 mile trip home, through Utah, AZ, CA, and OR with my 6 month son and wife. Epic 2 week trip, and the Mini was super popular at every stop. I sold that car 3 years later with 35000 miles for $500 less than it cost me.

I recently did a 1600 mile trip in a 1970 Porsche 914-6 I purchased in CA, which had zero creature comforts - no air, no heat, no side windows, no carpet, no radio, sitting in racing buckets with a 6pt harness and a roll cage, in July during one of the hottest weeks last year. Epic road trip with my oldest son, and not a single mechanical issue!

It would be fantastic to pick up the Jeep and do an epic road trip home! I'm trying to convince a good friend who also wants a Jeep to go doubles with me at a dealership for a great deal, then do an awesome road trip back home.
You know I live in AZ and couldn't work out a decent deal with any of the dealerships here so I went back home to Colorado and ordered my Rubicon from Pollard Jeep in Boulder. I ordered the 2.0L Turbo on 04/15 and it took exactly 32 days to arrive at the showroom. I'm not sure what the turnaround time is looking like on a 2020 MY.

OP
OP
Hudson

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I am hearing 6-8 weeks from a local dealer.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I am hearing 6-8 weeks from a local dealer.
There are some people on the forum who are taking delivery of 2020s less than a month after order. My dealer told me 8 to 12 weeks. I’m hoping for four

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
....The only draw back to the 2.0 is it requires premium unleaded which is quite a bit more in price however the gas mileage should help offset this....
You realize that this is not true, right? You can use lower octane in the 2.0, lots of posts here about that. There is a performance advantage to 91 octane but for highway driving, little to no mpg difference. I use 91 only, but many use 87 or 89.
Sponsored