First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Can the middle button on the left rocker be used to play/pause? It currently doesn’t serve any other function and there’s no way to play/pause without going to the touch screen.
That middle button is to change the station preset. I use it the most.
Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
new jeep owner here, found some buttons on the back of the steering wheel today. They are located where shifting paddles are normally placed on other cars and the buttons are the same on both sides of the steering wheel. I pressed all six buttons (3 on each side) and didn’t notice them doing anything. Anyone know what these do?
277129B2-4CF8-4AEA-B924-A068A2004500.jpeg
I personally nominate this thread to be the official “wait…What?” thread of 2023…

wrang_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4XE
That middle button is to change the station preset. I use it the most.
The buttons serve different functions when playing media vs radio. In radio yes it changes presets, the function it serves when playing media is… nothing. And there’s no way to pause with a button that I know of.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
The buttons serve different functions when playing media vs radio. In radio yes it changes presets, the function it serves when playing media is… nothing. And there’s no way to pause with a button that I know of.
Has me wondering if that type of functionality can be enabled through JScan. Beyond annoying how they didn't even bother to enable center button functionality unless you use AM/FM/XM.

wrang_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4XE
Has me wondering if that type of functionality can be enabled through JScan. Beyond annoying how they didn't even bother to enable center button functionality unless you use AM/FM/XM.
What’s the quickest/best way to get in touch with JScan, Zauto, or are Stla employees watching this forum and generally responsive enough to implement such a simple feature via OTA?

I’m totally green here but with Fords I’ve had no problem getting them to do things like this through the forum.

Sponsored

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
new jeep owner here, found some buttons on the back of the steering wheel today. They are located where shifting paddles are normally placed on other cars and the buttons are the same on both sides of the steering wheel. I pressed all six buttons (3 on each side) and didn’t notice them doing anything. Anyone know what these do?
277129B2-4CF8-4AEA-B924-A068A2004500.jpeg
I HIGHLY recommend you find the digital owners manual. It is 300+ pages and details everything you can imagine. The whole printed manual is like a quick start guide.
I downloaded it to my Notes app on the phone so I always have it available.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
What’s the quickest/best way to get in touch with JScan, Zauto, or are Stla employees watching this forum and generally responsive enough to implement such a simple feature via OTA?

I’m totally green here but with Fords I’ve had no problem getting them to do things like this through the forum.
Not sure, but when they came out with paddle shifters for the 392, I believe the option to add that with a hardware kit and enable via JScan or the other one came fairly quick on it's heels.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
The MUTE button on the dash will pause media.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
?

I wasn’t being sarcastic.

It pauses it. It does NOT simply mute the speakers like it does for the radio.

The button changes function depending on what you are playing.

You do not have to go to the touchscreen to pause Spotify or Apply music or any of that type of media. And it’s like 2” from the wheel button. This is the problem you are trying to solve with a JScan hack, right? It might be why there isn’t one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Back on topic, I think I might reach out to JScan myself to see if they can do anything about giving us that button for pause/play. Wonder if they have a contact email or if I can drop a suggestion through the app.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
anyone else find the volume control being on the right side counter intuitive?
No. Just the opposite. As we'd instinctively use our right hand to adjust the circular volume knob on the head unit, it follows that a collateral steering wheel volume control should be on the right side also.

The volume control rocker switch on my wife's Honda is on the left side of the steering wheel (and on the front, no less), and I've said from Day 1 that its placement is counterintuitive.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I dropped them a line through Messenger and they hit me back within an hour: "We will try to check that out, but can't tell right now if its possible". Here's hoping!

wrang_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4XE
The MUTE button on the dash will pause media.
Which media can you confirm this on, I’d be interested to know if this is a SW version issue. I WISH this was true on my 2024 but it’s not, at least on CarPlay.

It will pause if I use voice control so it knows how, they literally just didn’t program the button to do anything.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Which media can you confirm this on, I’d be interested to know if this is a SW version issue. I WISH this was true on my 2024 but it’s not, at least on CarPlay.

It will pause if I use voice control so it knows how, they literally just didn’t program the button to do anything.
I can pause my daughter’s Bluetooth songs she’s playing off her phone’s Spotify while my CarPlay is connected. I know that for certain. I’ll check out other options tomorrow when I drive the Jeep. Out breaking in the M2 today.

I have a 2023 JL tho… the systems look pretty different.
Sponsored