David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Hey guys,

So I crawled under the Jeep today to investigate what may be causing my worsening dead spot and noticed the connection at the pitman arm and drag link looks like this. I'm guessing this isn't good.
Question is how can Jeep blame me for this? I have the 2" Mopar lift, Teraflex SS and adjustable trackbar (which is set to stock length). Can Jeep blame any of this for the joint? I'm also on my third steering box so could the technicians undoing and redoing this joint multiple times cause this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Busted Rod End Causing Dead Spot? IMG_6605
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Looks like a pickle fork blew out the rubber boot. Thats all I see.
Thanks. Honestly I'm a noob to steering components so I don't always know what I'm looking for. Any info is helpful.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Looks like just a split boot. To check for play grab and shake....and ideally have a helper rock the steering wheel left/right slowly as you watch and feel for play....IOW if the pitman arm starts moving a split second before the drag link, this could indicate a worn ball/socket.

But failed boots like that are common and not great cause for concern. If you own pickle forks throw them in the scrap heap, just use a BFH and vibration to separate taper fits like this.
Sponsored