Sponsored

Burning smell (plasticy-electrical-kind-of) when engine runs (not when on electric) - new 4xe

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
New 4xe (less than 50 miles) and top down for the first time (though I did catch this with the top up, just not as bad) today and we noticed that when the engine runs, there's this burning smell in the cabin that would go away when the engine was off. And when we hit <1% today and went full engine, it was really strong.

Is this production residue burn-off? It's pretty strong.
Sponsored

unlimited65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
for the first 50 miles or so I had smell too - not sure how to explain it ... I am assuming it was more "new vehicle" related. I have almost 1,000 smiles now and no smell/issues.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I had it too. I just took a trip up to Sequoia National Park this weekend and it smelled very strongly when we got to the park entrance, had about 700 miles on the Jeep when we got to the park. I didn’t notice it anymore while driving up there or when I got home so hopefully whatever stunk has burnt off and won’t come back.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Almost all mechanicals/electronics that experience high heat during normal operation will have a 'break in period' "burning" odor. I've lost count of the number of toaster ovens I've heard of that were returned after their maiden flight. HVAC guys probably lose years of their lives doing follow-ups.

Certain items continue to output an odor, often ozone, long into their service life. Think brushed motors like egg beaters or old electric drills. Smells like delicious nostalgia.

There are many machine oils and solvents involved during assembly of the jeep or any other auto or machine, and most every factory is too lazy to remove or remediate afterwards, so users should expect to smell them burn off or outgas in the begining. (All of those solvents and such are actually what create that "new car smell" that so many people enjoy)

Document the odor with your dealer, just to create a paper trail. If there is a problem later, you'll have evidence. Otherwise, what you're smelling is the privilege of getting a machine fresh off the assembly line.

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Yeah, it looks to be at least this muffler sticker which is nice and crispy now (and shrunk up as you can see from the original rectangular outline).

Jeep Wrangler JL Burning smell (plasticy-electrical-kind-of) when engine runs (not when on electric) - new 4xe IMG_0592
Sponsored