Sponsored

Burning smell - any idea what it may be?

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Midwest22, Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you ever get this fixed? I have a similar issue (burning plastic smell from the vents). I suspect it is the positive temperature coefficient heater, but that's just a guess. It's been at the dealership for 2 weeks and they are still stumped...
hi, did you find a fix? I have the same problem
Sponsored

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
hi, did you find a fix? I have the same problem
I finally got the jeep back Friday, and I am still not sure if it is fixed or not. The smell seems a lot less intense, but is still detectable. I am hoping with a few weeks of driving it will completely dissipate.

The dealer believes the smell was tied to the clutch/ W12 recall. They cleaned the bell housing out before they gave it back, and said that once the recall fix is in, it will hopefully go away completely. (As a side note: the smell never seemed like a burning clutch smell to me, but if this fixes it, I'm happy).

OP
OP
Midwest22

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Midwest22, Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you ever get this fixed? I have a similar issue (burning plastic smell from the vents). I suspect it is the positive temperature coefficient heater, but that's just a guess. It's been at the dealership for 2 weeks and they are still stumped...
No, I never figured it out. I just put a fire extinguisher in the Jeep and lowered my insurance deductible. I kind of gave up caring.

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked about the electric heater. I bought the MOPAR Tech Authority repair manual, and it shows an electric heater (referred to as a PTC heater). I asked the dealer to unplug it, and see if they got the smell to go away. The dealer said that they couldn't find the heater in mine and speculated it is only for the diesel. That said, I am hoping to have time to pull the glovebox this weekend and see if I find a wiring harness myself.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I searched the other posts on this topic where the heater core was replaced and it still didnā€™t fix the issue.

About 3-5 minutes after starting, I begin to smell a burning plastic odor. It goes away in about 20 min. But, this happens all the time.

Any clues you can give me would be great! Iā€™m on the road for a year so going to the dealer would be difficult...need to fix this myself.

Do a test. First close all the windows and turn on the fan and see if you can smell it and then shut the fan and open the windows. Just go through different types of scenarios, heat, defrost etc. and see. Sometimes you have to become Sherlock Holmes to get to the bottom of the mystery but that's not why I bought a Jeep. True enough.

Sponsored

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I asked about the electric heater. I bought the MOPAR Tech Authority repair manual, and it shows an electric heater (referred to as a PTC heater). I asked the dealer to unplug it, and see if they got the smell to go away. The dealer said that they couldn't find the heater in mine and speculated it is only for the diesel. That said, I am hoping to have time to pull the glovebox this weekend and see if I find a wiring harness myself.
Hi, did you find the problem?

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, did you find the problem?
So far, it's looking (or smelling) like my problem was related to the clutch (possibly originating with the same issues as the clutch recall). After cleaning out the bell housing, the smell seems to be gone. That said I haven't been driving it that much lately due to the coronavirus. Once I start driving regularly again, I plan to repost if the smell returns.

Just wondering, is yours a manual?

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
2 door manual- I have a manual and since owning it, have had about 3 to 4 episodes of a burning plastic/ rubber smell from inside the cab...

I just chalked it down to my winter floor mats getting heated up by the floor ducts in the back.... the jeep throws off crazy heat!!!!

But this is just a theory if mine....I really don't know what the cause is.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
2 door manual- I have a manual and since owning it, have had about 3 to 4 episodes of a burning plastic/ rubber smell from inside the cab...

I just chalked it down to my winter floor mats getting heated up by the floor ducts in the back.... the jeep throws off crazy heat!!!!

But this is just a theory if mine....I really don't know what the cause is.

same here, I think it's the clutch

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
+1 for a plastic burning smell. My details:
  • Brand new - less than 400 on the clock
  • EcoDiesel, automatic (here come the diesel trolls)
  • Cold weather package (but not in use when the smell started)
  • Smell and faint smoke coming from front passenger side wheel well
  • Sweet smelling, plastic odor - not rubber, clutch (obviously), antifreeze, or brakes. I'm familiar with all of those smells, it wasn't any of them.
  • I have no mods under the hood, on the exhaust, etc. I've done very little to the vehicle so far - and nothing in the area where the smell and smoke were coming from.
  • No odors inside the cab. I didn't notice it until I got home and parked in the garage. It was very strong.
I got underneath and looked, but I couldn't find anything. I didn't look fully, everything was pretty hot. My first suspicion was that it was one of the many white plastic part number labels that are on all of the wiring harnesses. For those who found burnt stickers and tags, would you mind posting some pictures of where you found them?

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
  • Sweet smelling, plastic odor - not rubber, clutch (obviously), antifreeze, or brakes. I'm familiar with all of those smells, it wasn't any of them.
  • I have no mods under the hood, on the exhaust, etc. I've done very little to the vehicle so far - and nothing in the area where the smell and smoke were coming from.
  • No odors inside the cab. I didn't notice it until I got home and parked in the garage. It was very strong.
I got underneath and looked, but I couldn't find anything. I didn't look fully, everything was pretty hot. My first suspicion was that it was one of the many white plastic part number labels that are on all of the wiring harnesses. For those who found burnt stickers and tags, would you mind posting some pictures of where you found them?
i have the same problem tell if you find a solution, I realized that even though it is parked without the vehicle running, the smell always persists more than anything if it is hot

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
i have the same problem tell if you find a solution, I realized that even though it is parked without the vehicle running, the smell always persists more than anything if it is hot
We're sorry to hear that you are both experiencing this. Should you decide to have your dealer take a look, please feel free to loop us in via PM. We would be happy to provide additional support.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Sponsored