Burning plastic smell??

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
This doesn’t happen every day but once a month about I pull into the garage and as soon as I open the door I can smell it, the smell of burnt plastic, I open the hood and cannot pinpoint where it is coming from, has anyone else had this issue??
Sponsored

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
I'm willing to bet this is the result of the emissions regen cycle occurring. Basically smells "hot" after it completes and back in the garage. Totally normal though. Do you have a ScanGauge or anything to monitor the status of the emissions and regens?

OP
OP
Eischman

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
No I don’t, you would think Mopar would have had something in the cluster when it was on a regen but then again my Duramax doesn’t either, it makes sense though of what you said because of the time in between me smelling it.

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
This doesn’t happen every day but once a month about I pull into the garage and as soon as I open the door I can smell it, the smell of burnt plastic, I open the hood and cannot pinpoint where it is coming from, has anyone else had this issue??
Just had this happen today. Wasn't sure if it was my Eco-Diesel or vehicle next to me at stop light
Had my top off as it's beautiful here in Florida
Haven't smelled since

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
No I don’t, you would think Mopar would have had something in the cluster when it was on a regen but then again my Duramax doesn’t either, it makes sense though of what you said because of the time in between me smelling it.
I 100% agree, and think FCA dropped the ball by not adding something so trivial to the cluster that is so critical to the health of the emissions system. I highly recommend getting a ScanGauge in the future for some peace of mind on this...

Sponsored

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
This is a normal smell after you went off road while wearing polyester or nylon underwear…

The smell will go away as you gain off road experience.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

It’s the regen. When I drove buses for a few years that’s exactly how it would smell when they did a regen.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think there was a thread a few years ago about this. Someone suggested it was labels that the OEM applies to all the parts and that some of these parts get pretty hot. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored