Sponsored

Burned up 3.6 in 2018 JLU. Located donor rubicon 392 with trans and transfer case. Anyone documented this install before?

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLU, ‘22 F250 Tremor, ‘23 Bronco Badlands
My teenage daughter ran her JLU til the 3.6 overheated and cannot be repaired.
Found donor 392 out of wrecked Rubicon complete with trans and transfer case plus driveshafts. I have seen a ton of HEMI swaps with crate, charger, and Ram engines. Has anyone done a swap from 392 Rubicon into 3.6 before?
Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
What was wrong with it for it to overheat? Just curious

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Do you have the complete donor vehicle? You'll probably end up swapping quite a few parts that aren't part of the engine per-se. Motor mounts, air intake, ECU obviously, but probably weird stuff like the battery mount, washer fluid bottle, and other under-hood goodies - "minor" junk that'll bankrupt your project if you have to buy it at dealer prices.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
As a 392 owner I would seriously rethink handing the keys to a Teenager. As the response above states there are a multitude of things different under the hood. Key things being battery area/computer and the air delivery system hidden under the factory Mohave hood which has the cowl about an inch higher than the 3.6. Best of luck wit your project and if you need pics just IM me

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Do you have the complete donor vehicle? You'll probably end up swapping quite a few parts that aren't part of the engine per-se. Motor mounts, air intake, ECU obviously, but probably weird stuff like the battery mount, washer fluid bottle, and other under-hood goodies - "minor" junk that'll bankrupt your project if you have to buy it at dealer prices.
Agreed, there is a lot more that you'd need to consider from intake to exhaust and various oddities. Buying retail parts from your dealer will nickel and dime you to death.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, sounds like a cool project but don't expect to "save" a lot of money. A lot of folks build "Sporticons" on this forum and learn a lot in the process. I think in 10 years, my JLUS may resemble a Rubi in senses but I'm taking the slow road and learning a lot about Jeep Wranglers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JayR13

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. Just the power train.

OP
OP
JayR13

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a 392 owner I would seriously rethink handing the keys to a Teenager. As the response above states there are a multitude of things different under the hood. Key things being battery area/computer and the air delivery system hidden under the factory Mohave hood which has the cowl about an inch higher than the 3.6. Best of luck wit your project and if you need pics just IM me
Much appreciated

OP
OP
JayR13

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, there is a lot more that you'd need to consider from intake to exhaust and various oddities. Buying retail parts from your dealer will nickel and dime you to death.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, sounds like a cool project but don't expect to "save" a lot of money. A lot of folks build "Sporticons" on this forum and learn a lot in the process. I think in 10 years, my JLUS may resemble a Rubi in senses but I'm taking the slow road and learning a lot about Jeep Wranglers.
I wonder if I could use some parts in the swap kits from AMW and Dakota Customs

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Nope. Just the power train.
I don't want to rain on your parade. It's just gonna be a huge amount of work and a deep rabbit hole of unexpected unintended consequences. But when you're done, you'll have a project jeep to be proud of.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I wonder if I could use some parts in the swap kits from AMW and Dakota Customs
Maybe get a custom exhaust shop to build your exhaust for you. It'll be a cool experience, hopefully the power train includes the PCM and harnesses. I wouldn't be surprised if you spent $500+ in parts to get the powertrain mounted into the Jeep before connecting up the driveshafts.

EDIT: By "powertrain mounted" I'm talking motor mounts and brackets, essentially what it takes to get the powertrain to be physically mounted into the vehicle. I know folks here are very particular.

OP
OP
JayR13

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
JayR13

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe get a custom exhaust shop to build your exhaust for you. It'll be a cool experience, hopefully the power train includes the PCM and harnesses. I wouldn't be surprised if you spent $500+ in parts to get the powertrain mounted into the Jeep before connecting up the driveshafts.

EDIT: By "powertrain mounted" I'm talking motor mounts and brackets, essentially what it takes to get the powertrain to be physically mounted into the vehicle. I know folks here are very particular.
Honestly my goal was to do a V8 swap at some point. After I get 1 tons and beef everything up. She unfortunately stepped up my time table.

OP
OP
JayR13

JayR13

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to rain on your parade. It's just gonna be a huge amount of work and a deep rabbit hole of unexpected unintended consequences. But when you're done, you'll have a project jeep to be proud of.
Planned on the swap in a few years. She just sped up the process. 🙄

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Please document your process and share as you go.

And, somehow, save enough money to give your daughter something else to drive when you’re done! ;)
Sponsored